Site Sponsors

Thread: Medium Format Tips and Tricks

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Medium Format Tips and Tricks

Just got 2 RRS feeds from Capture Integration that made me think of this new thread . This will be a sticky thread. This is not a debate thread but a purely informational thread that would be used as a reference looking to solve issues or just getting things correct. Please add any important data that may help MF shooters.

My first two links are these

Tethering Type 1 cameras

http://www.captureintegration.com/20...g-in-osx-1052/

Not all firewire ports are equal

http://www.captureintegration.com/20...rts-are-equal/
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Medium Format Tips and Tricks

Very useful idea, Guy!
    TX
    Bill

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Jordan_Miller

This is a well-known little fix for the Hasselblad H-series 7.2V battery grips. However, I find this comes up often enough, that it would be worthwhile posted here.

Hasselblad H-series Battery Grip Reset procedure:

1. Make sure the battery grip is 'completely' charged (ie. having been
    on the charger until the light is blinking red)

2. Make sure to remove the digital back, viewfinder and lens from the camera body.

3. Hold the Menu and Flash buttons down BEFORE attaching the battery.

4. Install the battery while continuing to hold the aforementioned buttons until the camera beeps repeatedly.

This should reset the PMU on the battery grip. Power the camera down, and turn it back on as usual. You can now (re)charge the battery as normal.

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jordan,

Thanks for the info on a Hasselblad "H" battery grip reset. I was just asking about this in a previous thread. Yours is the first I read that says to remove the digital back and viewfinder. I've been surprised at the battery performance of the "H" models.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Of interest to Phase One and Capture One users:

Other News Summary
    - Lines in your Phase One images after updating Capture One?
    - Stuck only processing one image at a time?
    - FW800 ports and Phase One backs.

Capture Integration November Newsletter

Steve Hendrix
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like

Doug Petersen of Capture Integration has some post showing size of sensors and a spreadsheet of lenses and their equivalent focal length in 35mm terms. Love to see that here (so I can find it when I need it).

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Spreadsheet is here: http://www.captureintegration.com/20...nt-calculator/
    Sensor Size template generator is in-house only

A stitching-enabled Focal Length Calculator is near release. Should be very helpful.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David Schneider View Post
    Doug Petersen
    Hey my heritage is Sweedish not Norweigen - it's Peterson.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry. Sometimes my spelling gets more creative as my keyboarding skills get shakier.

Post Thanks / Like

How about links to "how to" articles for the basic and advanced digital techniques?

Painting with flash light
    HDR, Photomatrix etc.
    (Auto-stacking for) focus merge, macro and landscape
    Virtual Viewpoint
    Tilt/Shift
    Pan-and-stitch
    Shift-and-stitch

There may be threads on most of these which could be condensed into articles

Post Thanks / Like

I received this from Hasselblad; their lenses and 35mm equivalents. Obviously not updated.
    Attachment 38143
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HDR Tone Mapping in Capture One Pro.

http://www.captureintegration.com/20...8/hdr-via-lcc/

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Working with graduation filters in Capture One Pro 6

Very handy for landscape and architecture!!!

The IQ Professor's blog
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Schneider View Post
    I received this from Hasselblad; their lenses and 35mm equivalents. Obviously not updated.
    Attachment 38143
    I'm a bit stymied as to how to 'read' this. I have a P20 back, 4088x4086 pixels, which column do I read for the HC lenses? Is it the 1.5x? And is that then the 35mm equivalent?
    Odille

H2 | P20 | HC 50-110 | HC 150 f3.2 | HC 210 f4 ~ My Website

patjames

IF you take off the lens, back and view finder, Where is the beep sound going to come from. On my H3DII-39, the speaker is in the digital back. I did this reset thing but no beep sound.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wondering if anyone could shed some light on the following regarding focus stacking, to which I am new in the MF world:

I took three photos of the identical scene using a tripod with the Schneider 80mm lens. The only change in each photo was to move the focus gradually from front to back (or vice versa, I don't recall my sequence) in the images. My intention was to use Helicon Focus software to layer the three photos together to blend in the areas of sharpest focus into a single image. However, in reviewing the captured images, the image changes slightly in each photo. It appears the angle of view gradually increases as the point of focus changes. Is this normal? Are all the lenses like this? I don't have this issue when using my Canon 180mm macro lens, with which I can blend focus layers together perfectly as the angle of view doesn't change so the images are identical.... although I admit I've only tried this in a macro shot with very small changes in points of focus.

Tech Support at Digital Transitions told me they believed that this shift that I am seeing is normal as long as it is only a small amount, which it is. Can anyone here corroborate this?

Also, I can think of two ways to focus stack: 1) use Helicon Focus (can the software even handle several 80 mp files?), or 2) stack the images in PS and blend. What approach would you folks recommend, and does the above shift that I've described prevent focus blending altogether?

Thanks in advance!
    Will

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

it is normal; anytime you move the lens farther from the sensor, the image will be a bit bigger

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by WWLEE View Post
    Tech Support at Digital Transitions told me they believed that this shift that I am seeing is normal as long as it is only a small amount, which it is. Can anyone here corroborate this?

Also, I can think of two ways to focus stack: 1) use Helicon Focus (can the software even handle several 80 mp files?), or 2) stack the images in PS and blend. What approach would you folks recommend, and does the above shift that I've described prevent focus blending altogether?

Thanks in advance!
    As John said, it is normal and will occur to a greater or lesser degree depending on the lens.

HeliconFocus can handle huge files (on the Mac at least) and so I wouldn't worry about that. With the focus shift on a rendered focus stack you may find that HF will leave a soft border on the image since it adjusts each image to match and, as you've seen, they are different as you shift focal point. You just crop this off in PS.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WWLEE View Post
    Wondering if anyone could shed some light on the following regarding focus stacking, to which I am new in the MF world:

I took three photos of the identical scene using a tripod with the Schneider 80mm lens. The only change in each photo was to move the focus gradually from front to back (or vice versa, I don't recall my sequence) in the images. My intention was to use Helicon Focus software to layer the three photos together to blend in the areas of sharpest focus into a single image. However, in reviewing the captured images, the image changes slightly in each photo. It appears the angle of view gradually increases as the point of focus changes. Is this normal? Are all the lenses like this? I don't have this issue when using my Canon 180mm macro lens,
    Thanks in advance!
    Some lenses, like my Nikkor micro 200, feature "internal focusing" which might confuse "normality".

You can focus by moving the lens, the camera (relative to the subject) or by moving just the sensor, which is normal for a "proper" technical camera, and easy with a lens with a tripod bush.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, guys. Also, do you recommend Helicon Focus for focus blending or is there a preference for using Photoshop? Given the issue I described above, I gather that this cannot be done in Photoshop in situations where the image has changed (or maybe I just slightly resize the images to make them match again?).
    Will

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Personally I use Helicon Focus as it handles the focus shift affects well and does a great job on aligning images. It's great value for money considering what it does.

Post Thanks / Like

There is one more way to do focus stacking - use large format camera which enables you to rear focus ( the distance between lens and subject remains the same during the focusing), so the pictures will be perfectly aligned. The images will not changed even slightly, as you reported. If you are not into large format photography, there are even special macro bellows that allow you rear focusing. There is one
    http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/...llows-systems/
    But if Helicon Focus does the job well, why bother.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

While rear focusing has advantages, image size will still change because the lens to image plane distance changes. The "best" way is to move the entire camera and lens together.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    While rear focusing has advantages, image size will still change because the lens to image plane distance changes. The "best" way is to move the entire camera and lens together.
    It is the magnification that changes, unless you move the subject to whole camera distance... with macro this is, of course, best achieved by moving the subject.

If you use tilt to minimize the number of stacked shots you need - what do you move then? You would still need some re-alignment, but, if you moved the subject perpendicular to the plane of sharpest focus you would get no magnification changes, and no perspective changes?... can someone find the time and energy to prove this mathematically? if the software would easily and automatically re-align the shots, this might be the ideal method.

Post Thanks / Like

Medium Format Tips and Tricks/live view overlay

On Hasselblads, if you have the Adobe "full kit" you can draw or trace an overlay in Adobe illustrator, and overlay it on live video and re-draw as required.

This is useful when ADs want the product positioned precisely, or when adjusting perspective when photographing parts of an existing building to "photograph" a non-existing building.

Ώdoes anyone do this?

Ώdoes it work as well with Phase, Leaf, Sinar...?

Post Thanks / Like

Something I discovered by chance, I lost the rear cap of my Schneider 35xl digitar lens. A canon rear lens cap fits in real snug!!! ;-) better than the original!!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

here is one:
    since you can't re-order images in capture one, shoot your panoramas clockwise

Post Thanks / Like

Another one with tethered shooting in capture one:
    If you use inteligent albums and rating instead of different folders in the same sesion the consistenci of C1 improves as the program do not have to change cache between folders.
    In theese way C1 is dificult that stay thinking and is very easy to find your right pictures by rating them with stars or colors .
    You can find inteligent albums on phaseone page

Post Thanks / Like

i just recieved my Digiplate, this is a finely made piece of accessory that allows one to attach the Laptop to the tripod, it works beautifully..

N i n e V o l t

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thought I would replenish this thread with a fresh Capture One tip:

The problem some of our clients encounter is that Capture One automatically applies lens corrections to certain lenses without an obvious way to change this automatic behavior.

Capture Integration, - and our very own Josh Booth - has devised a workaround until Phase One gets around to making a change to this in a future version of C1:

For complete details and instructions:
    https://captureintegration.com/captu...on-correction/

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration

Post Thanks / Like

I use with the Schneider 24XL and 35XL to avoid flare the Rodenstock Centerfilter E67 with a B+W step up ring instead of the Schneider CFs. It's 0.5 F-stops darker but much better than the Schneiders in back light situations. LCC in C1 works great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not strictly a MF only tip as it'd applies to anyone using graduated filters and either live view or direct view cameras.

Place either a postIT note or piece of gaffer tape on to your graduated filter so that the tape or note covers the bottom dark line of the graduation that you want to line up with the horizon or bright part of your image (the clear part up to the line remains clear). You can now slide the filter up/down just to cover the bright area and it will be obvious in the viewfinder or live view/ground glass. Once aligned, remove the tape/note and voila a perfect blend aligned just where you want it.

If you've ever used soft grads, or hard grads with wide angle lenses you'll understand how hard it can be to align them at the right place in the viewfinder, ground glass or using live view on a digital back or DSLR for that matter.

An oft forgotten tip from shooting large format where it's next to impossible to see the grad line!

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another C1 tip from Josh Booth.

This is timely, while I don't lose my images, I've wondered about the output location options...

https://captureintegration.com/quick...cessed-images/

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration

Post Thanks / Like

Aptus digital back / loosing date / Internal battery

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-f...l-battery.html

Post Thanks / Like

Tethering with the Surface Pro! https://kendoophotography.wordpress....digital-backs/

And more tips from the GetDPI family: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-f...edo-mfdbs.html

Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Clamp options for tethering with the Surface Pro---introducing the CLITS clamp: https://kendoophotography.wordpress....clamp-choices/

Post Thanks / Like

Ebony camera has this list of view camera lenses (analog) sorted by manufacturer. It has registration distances and max IC for all of them, which has been handy for me. The only downside is that they don't provide the length of the rear element, so I've had to find that independently. http://www.ebonycamera.com/articles/lenses.html

For the Schneider digital lens, this gives the same information plus flange surface to rear of lens measurements (very handy). http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/up...ge_circles.pdf

For Rodenstock digital, you have to check each lens in which you're interested, but they do offer registration distance, max IC, and length of rear element and you can compare different lenses (2 at a time). http://www.rodenstock-photo.com/en/p...lenses-digital
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post