The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium Format Tips and Tricks

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just got 2 RRS feeds from Capture Integration that made me think of this new thread . This will be a sticky thread. This is not a debate thread but a purely informational thread that would be used as a reference looking to solve issues or just getting things correct. Please add any important data that may help MF shooters.

My first two links are these

Tethering Type 1 cameras

http://www.captureintegration.com/2008/05/27/canon-tethering-in-osx-1052/

Not all firewire ports are equal

http://www.captureintegration.com/2009/08/26/not-all-ports-are-equal/

J

Jordan_Miller

This is a well-known little fix for the Hasselblad H-series 7.2V battery grips. However, I find this comes up often enough, that it would be worthwhile posted here.

Hasselblad H-series Battery Grip Reset procedure:

1. Make sure the battery grip is 'completely' charged (ie. having been
on the charger until the light is blinking red)

2. Make sure to remove the digital back, viewfinder and lens from the camera body.

3. Hold the Menu and Flash buttons down BEFORE attaching the battery.

4. Install the battery while continuing to hold the aforementioned buttons until the camera beeps repeatedly.

This should reset the PMU on the battery grip. Power the camera down, and turn it back on as usual. You can now (re)charge the battery as normal.

johnnygoesdigital

Jordan,

Thanks for the info on a Hasselblad "H" battery grip reset. I was just asking about this in a previous thread. Yours is the first I read that says to remove the digital back and viewfinder. I've been surprised at the battery performance of the "H" models.

David Schneider

Doug Petersen of Capture Integration has some post showing size of sensors and a spreadsheet of lenses and their equivalent focal length in 35mm terms. Love to see that here (so I can find it when I need it).

dick

How about links to "how to" articles for the basic and advanced digital techniques?

Painting with flash light
HDR, Photomatrix etc.
(Auto-stacking for) focus merge, macro and landscape
Virtual Viewpoint
Tilt/Shift
Pan-and-stitch
Shift-and-stitch

There may be threads on most of these which could be condensed into articles

P

patjames

IF you take off the lens, back and view finder, Where is the beep sound going to come from. On my H3DII-39, the speaker is in the digital back. I did this reset thing but no beep sound.
Jim

WWLEE

Wondering if anyone could shed some light on the following regarding focus stacking, to which I am new in the MF world:

I took three photos of the identical scene using a tripod with the Schneider 80mm lens. The only change in each photo was to move the focus gradually from front to back (or vice versa, I don't recall my sequence) in the images. My intention was to use Helicon Focus software to layer the three photos together to blend in the areas of sharpest focus into a single image. However, in reviewing the captured images, the image changes slightly in each photo. It appears the angle of view gradually increases as the point of focus changes. Is this normal? Are all the lenses like this? I don't have this issue when using my Canon 180mm macro lens, with which I can blend focus layers together perfectly as the angle of view doesn't change so the images are identical.... although I admit I've only tried this in a macro shot with very small changes in points of focus.

Tech Support at Digital Transitions told me they believed that this shift that I am seeing is normal as long as it is only a small amount, which it is. Can anyone here corroborate this?

Also, I can think of two ways to focus stack: 1) use Helicon Focus (can the software even handle several 80 mp files?), or 2) stack the images in PS and blend. What approach would you folks recommend, and does the above shift that I've described prevent focus blending altogether?

Thanks in advance!

jlm

Workshop Member
it is normal; anytime you move the lens farther from the sensor, the image will be a bit bigger

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Tech Support at Digital Transitions told me they believed that this shift that I am seeing is normal as long as it is only a small amount, which it is. Can anyone here corroborate this?

Also, I can think of two ways to focus stack: 1) use Helicon Focus (can the software even handle several 80 mp files?), or 2) stack the images in PS and blend. What approach would you folks recommend, and does the above shift that I've described prevent focus blending altogether?

Thanks in advance!
As John said, it is normal and will occur to a greater or lesser degree depending on the lens.

HeliconFocus can handle huge files (on the Mac at least) and so I wouldn't worry about that. With the focus shift on a rendered focus stack you may find that HF will leave a soft border on the image since it adjusts each image to match and, as you've seen, they are different as you shift focal point. You just crop this off in PS. :thumbup:

dick

Wondering if anyone could shed some light on the following regarding focus stacking, to which I am new in the MF world:

I took three photos of the identical scene using a tripod with the Schneider 80mm lens. The only change in each photo was to move the focus gradually from front to back (or vice versa, I don't recall my sequence) in the images. My intention was to use Helicon Focus software to layer the three photos together to blend in the areas of sharpest focus into a single image. However, in reviewing the captured images, the image changes slightly in each photo. It appears the angle of view gradually increases as the point of focus changes. Is this normal? Are all the lenses like this? I don't have this issue when using my Canon 180mm macro lens,
Thanks in advance!
Some lenses, like my Nikkor micro 200, feature "internal focusing" which might confuse "normality".

You can focus by moving the lens, the camera (relative to the subject) or by moving just the sensor, which is normal for a "proper" technical camera, and easy with a lens with a tripod bush.