The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CFV-39

jlm

Workshop Member
and a few other locations
the concrete area is the entry to the "Newtown Creek Nature Walk" right where the largest oil spill in history is, still underground.'
also Calvary cemetery and Red Hook near where the Queen Mary docks

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Nice John - aside from the increase in resolution, how does it compare with the CFV or P20 you had? What stands out to you?

jlm

Workshop Member
thanks charlie, I've been admiring yours as well...must have been fun down in the subway tunnel
the images have a lot of snap, they take longer to process in the computer but seem to take faster on the camera, the back is technically more modern and a bit better ergonomically (better LCD and clock is about it). of course it is rectangular, which for me is a setback, but i am getting used to it. I am trying to be more careful with rigidity to take advantage of those 39mp!

my main reason was to print large (34" sq) and tomorrow i may be able to give that a shot

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Thanks John, when I was looking at the P20 I had considered the CFV or CFV II mostly because of the upgrade path to the CFV 39 so I have been watching your moves closely.

jlm

Workshop Member
got a chance to print today. made a very impressive 34" sq from one of the P20 files.
also tried a couple from the CFV 39, one cropped sq and printed 34 sq (ball and anchor, in post 17) and one at 25 x 34 (tugboat in post 20), had to fiddle around to get best use out of my 34" wide roll paper, making a couple of user defined sizes and wasting a couple before I got the portrait/landscape mode figured out.

i was quite frankly blown away by the 39mp file prints. you could fall right into that tugboat shot.

native size for 240 dpi print is 24.5 x 18, so I used Jack's actions for detail sharpening and local contrast, then genuine fractals to up-rez. took about 14 minutes to make a print.

paper was Ilford Galerie fine art pearl, roll cut to 34" wide from a 50" roll and using the ilford ICC with the epson 9900.

I can always use a bit of advice, but these prints from this camera were amazing.

KeithL

jlm

The fact is that making judgements on image quality based on web uploads is unwise and that I'm as guilty as any in doing so.

Good to hear that that prints worked out well.

woodyspedden

John

I have told you many times how much I admire your shots of the Shipyard and New York in general

These, to me, are just fantastic. In many ways it talks to the issue of pixel dimensions (more so than just the number of pixels in the image)and the impact on final image quality. I am pretty much brand agnostic and in fact had a number of issues with the H3DII39 camera, but these images talk to me about what hassy can accomplish in what is obviously not their top of the line camera.

makes me think about going back to my 500CM and Zeiss lenses coupled to what is a seriously great MFDB! JMHO

Woody

jlm

Workshop Member
had to work these as smaller jpg files for Helicon not to choke. not optimized by any means. four focus shots

jlm

Workshop Member
thanks marc. for what it is worth, it seems weird to shoot rectangular! seems to work out though ;), even the portrait mode, and I have gone back to the waist level finder as the mag is higher.

T

tetsrfun

I have gone back to the waist level finder as the mag is higher.
Isn't that awkward in portrait mode? Have you considered using an HC3/70 prism?
It has 4x mag, somewhat less than the WLF mag but easier to use.

Steve

jlm

Workshop Member
i am used to the reversed image and even upside down from view camera days. I also have the 45 degree prism, but need that higher mag to check critical focus.

right now, using the cube, i have to do three rotations, one geared, to get to portrait mode and the weight is cantilevered. I may whip up some sort of right angle bracket