The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Rig

ecsh

In the veryfirst pic, it looks like a heli in the upper right hand corner. At first i thought it was a bug on my screen, but a closer look, and wow, what detail at that distance.
Joe

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes nice combo between lens and back. As you noted and can see this is a 16 mpx back which in reality does not mean much but those big fat 9 microns and large sensor can really shine not to mention a very good lens to boot.

RayM

Hi Charlie, The pics you've posted have really caught my eye. Really nice job. It sounds like you worked with Doug to put the system together. Any chance you could identify each of the pieces that you put together in this system? For example, which Alpa, which adapters, focusing system, etc.

I've got my P30+ on my Contax. I've got a little over a half year left on the warranty, etc., and I'm startring to look at my options of whether to keep it as is, or to think about doing something else with it. Thanks, Ray

carstenw

Ray, if you want to sell, it might make sense to leave enough of the warranty in to allow the buyer to get a sense of security with the purchase, i.e. perhaps 2 months or so... You might net much more that way.

RayM

Hi Carsten, you're absolutely right. I'm not at all sure if I'll sell any of the Contax/P30+ system I've put together. It's all worked very well, but being a guy who has a nasty case of gear lust every now and then, I'm just starting to think about whether or not to stay with this entire system. The Contax system is my first MF system, and while it's been just great in so many ways, there area few things that I wish were better. My eyes stray to the Mamiya AFD III that many of the guys on this site have, all for very good reasons. Just not sure. Thanks, Ray

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Hi Charlie, The pics you've posted have really caught my eye. Really nice job. It sounds like you worked with Doug to put the system together. Any chance you could identify each of the pieces that you put together in this system? For example, which Alpa, which adapters, focusing system, etc.
Ray - First let me preface this by saying I do not work as a pro photographer so my needs and wants may be very different than others.

My system:
refurbished Phase P20+ with Mamiya interface purchased from Capture Integration
I spoke and corresponded with both Doug and Dave at CI and both were very helpful and extremely knowledgeable.
Alpa 12 SWA with wake-up handgrip for Phase back
Alpa backadapter MA645A for Phase backs with Mamiya interface
Alpa viewfinder
Lens: Schneider Apo-Digitar 5.6/47mm XL
viewfinder mask
I purchased all the Alpa gear from Fotocare in New York (I am in NY)

No focussing aids, just guesstimating. But many of the shots are f/11 and set to infinity. I need to experiment with this more but that will come in time.
No meter, again just guessing but it is very fast to tune in the exposure with reviewing the shots on the LCD. I was worried about this before I got it but it is not really a problem.
Also, the first day I went out with it I brought along the M8 and tried transferring info from the lens distance scale on the M8 for closer objects and that worked very well. I could use the M8 as a meter as well but it is just as quick to guess the exposure, review on the LCD, and make adjustments.

One caveat, the Alpa is very expensive. The Cambos are much less expensive, have more movements than the SWA, and use the same lenses from Schneider so for a technical camera they may well be a better option. For me, I liked how the Alpa felt in my hands better than the Cambo and I will shoot handheld with it as well as on a tripod. For what I paid for this system I probably could have gotten a refurbished P45+ with Phase camera and 80mm lens (and maybe picked up another cheap used Mamiya lens!), but again, I have no professional pressure to bring home the shot - except from my own drives and desires as an artist so I have some latitude and freedom in selecting equipment.

RayM

Thanks Charlie! Thank you for taking the time to identify all the pieces, This is exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated. Ray

bavanor

CMB,

Looks like someone is having fun with their new toy. These are some fun photos.

I am always amazed at how big these ships can be. They seem like a new addition to the skyline sometimes.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Aaron - yes, lots of fun!

Thanks Dale, starting to get used to this camera and back now but still have a long way to go.