The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Musings on recent topics...

• Thread starter Optechs Digital
  • Start date
O

Optechs Digital

Dear Friends,

My thoughts and opinions:

Leica S2.. I am pretty interested in this camera as a potential dealer. I hope it is successful regardless of what I decide to do with it. I have no doubt the lenses will be stellar. I wonder if they take the software side of things seriously enough? I wonder if they take their competitions proven products seriously enough? I wonder if the companies and studios that purchase multiple digital backs at a time will find benefit and value in this system? I wonder if after the initial burst of sales for this product will future sales sustain? I am still very gun shy to jump in on this after taking a significant loss on my Leaf AFI inventory. Will this product fare better in this economy? Of course a dozen or so pre-orders would put all these concerns at ease!:toocool:

Leica has provided me a few painful lessons in my youth as a used camera dealer. How is it that a 50mm summinoctiluxicon f/ 0.83 with a serial number between 20034 and 20676 is worth $5,000.00 but any other serial # range is only worth $50.00. AND, if you dont have the mathching serialized front and back lens caps, well now that lens is worthless. So thank you Leica for teaching me to pay attention to the details. ( Perhaps a slight bit of exaggeration here for effect.)

Phase One/Leaf I think this was a brilliant move for Phase One. It seems that many are confused as to why and what Phase would gain with this deal. As I see it, Phase One just purchased a huge and loyal Leaf user base . All Phase One has to do is treat them respectfully and deliver and innovate new leaf product and i think it is pretty obvious where the value in this purchase is.

Hasselblad CFV 39 Great move Hasselblad! I am sure this product will do great. I don’t sell it but am happy to see it come to market. Like many others I think it needs to be able to be positioned in Vertical or Horizontal mode, but I also understand the cost issues associated with this feature. An orthopedic neck brace is much cheaper.:) I hope this back works well with an Alpa without any timing issues.

Sinar I don’t think anybody needs to worry about them. I am confident they will continue to do well. They have a long history of great successes and often times change is just what a company needs. Does anyone remember the Sinarback 23 on a Sinarcam 2 body. This was an amazing piece of equipment and sales were huge. I hope they hit another home run soon. I hope they put Lorenz Koch in charge, he is young, fun and smart. A few years back he and i solved all the worlds problems during a night of Scotch and Cigars.

Alpa Some exciting new products coming. Stay tuned!!

Leaf AFI petition Is this for real? The people have already spoken with there wallets. Where were you guys when I and other dealers were out showing this system. However, I am quite certain that all the people on that petition list can secure a camera system immediately, there are plenty of dealers sitting on gear that would love to hear from you.

Photographic impact. Yesterday, while visiting some of my clients in Portland I spent some time with a photographer looking at his portfolio. I love doing this as it always opens up discussions on equipment and technique and I always learn a lot. As i was looking at this particular body of work I was struck by two particular images. One was a plastic cup on a plastic saucer the other was an image of some old beat up headphones sitting on a dirty floor. The images were simple, sincere and beautiful. it was the simplicity of the subject, the lighting and mood that made it so powerful. These two images were personal portfolio pieces but as i looked through the commercial advertising part of the portfolio the same feeling, mood and intensity were evident. As I was driving home last night I realized that we never discussed what camera gear or lighting gear were used to make these images. Those details were completely insignificant as it was only the impact of the images that mattered. It has been a while since some images have had that kind of effect on me.

Global Warming Its for real! record breaking heat and almost zero rain in Seattle all summer long. Soon we will be the new Southern Cal.

Best Wishes to all for a safe and fun Labor Day Weekend.

Paul

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Paul some great musings their. I have to give this some thought myself. I think some of your thoughts spin around in all our heads at one time or another. The bottom line is it is just gear and no matter how many books you read on photography or how well you think you know something nothing beats going out and learning it every day we occupy this planet and I agree living in the desert I am almost in the believe that snow is a figment of someones imagination. Today it is a nice 105 here and no snow in sight or even rain for that matter. Have a great weekend everyone and enjoy the time off . Personally I'm working and that is a good thing now if I can just get a check from clients on a timely basis and if my house stops falling apart I actually may have a life.

beamon

Good post, Paul. That last opinion, however, I can't let go w/o comment. [rant] Many areas of the country have had record cold summers, this year, and lots of rain, to boot!

Please ppl, climate is wx/time. Wx varies, so climate will also vary. Looking at one year or even a few is futile for judging climate change and 'global warming'. In fact, the last decade has been decidedly colder (worldwide) and may well be the beginning of the next ice age. We are right at that 11,000 year point of the typical 22,000 cycle. So, unless the ice ages have given up the ghost, our descendants, several hundred years hence, will be far more concerned with staying warm than the efficiency of their AC. :eek: [/rant]

Global Warming Its for real! record breaking heat and almost zero rain in Seattle all summer long. Soon we will be the new Southern Cal.

Best Wishes to all for a safe and fun Labor Day Weekend.

Paul

stephengilbert

Roger is right: we can't be certain that we're changing the climate until it's too late to do anything about it. Of course, the bright side is that it already may be too late.

bensonga

Good post, Paul. That last opinion, however, I can't let go w/o comment. [rant] We are right at that 11,000 year point of the typical 22,000 cycle. So, unless the ice ages have given up the ghost, our descendants, several hundred years hence, will be far more concerned with staying warm than the efficiency of their AC. :eek: [/rant]
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/04/science/earth/04arctic.html?ref=science

http://www.adn.com/news/environment/warming/story/921418.html

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/science/series/thebigmelt/index.html

Gary
Alaska (the canary in the coal mine)
where the effects of global warming are all too real

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
...and if we are the cause, then the solution is to reduce us.

bavanor

I am looking forward to hearing what Alpa has up its sleep also. When we do I will be by the store to check it out. Because I have the time to do that right now, which is not neccessarrily a good thing, doh!

O

Optechs Digital

Hi Mike and Aaron,

Today I will be receiving a brand new product from Alpa. I think it is only the second unit shipped worldwide at this point:bugeyes:. After Ted, Derek and I have had a chance to get familiar with it we will produce a video on it later this week for all to see.

Aaron, you are welcome to stop by and check it out anytime since you are so close.

Bet Regards,
Paul

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Paul, yes please post some pics! Also, when is the sportsfinder going to be available?

O

Optechs Digital

Hi Guys,

The product just came in and it is beautiful. As some have guessed it is a sports frame viewfinder. A short article and pictures coming in a few minutes.

The price has not been finalized for this product yet. Also the version we have received is set up for medium format film use. Digital back framing is coming.

Best,
Paul

PeterA

Thanks for the link to the new Alpa product - not to be contrary but I think it is a rather silly contraption.

Indeed sunspot activity has more to do with long cycle weather patterns than anything else. Of course this is an inconvenient truth - as is the fact that the world has been cooling for 10 years. Even more inconvenient is the fact that perhaps the world shoudl consider the effects of population levels on CO2 emmissions ( sonce that is apparently the cause of teh all the world's problems) as a first principle - my wouldnt that upset a lot of politically correct types.