Site Sponsors

Thread: New technique forum.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Smile New technique forum.

Been thinking about this one for a long time as both a photographer and instructor. For me I do a lot of different types of photography that call for things that usually run the gamut of techniques and I always thought it would be a great forum to talk about how things are done. Lets be honest here my job as a Pro is one thing only and that is to solve someone's needs and with that you take on the role of being a problem solver a jack of all trades and Swiss Army knife all rolled up into delivering a image or images to clients. Now you don't have to be a Pro to be a problem solver as we all run into shooting situations that require lets call it special needs or even gear for that matter.

So like to hear folks thoughts on this because I want everyone to participate on how they get shots done. This is not brand or format specific either this is all about being a photographer, artist or a shooter whatever you like to call yourself but it is about the how you go about creating art. If we get some positive responses to this and people WANT to do a forum like this. Ill make it happen, but I am going to hold people accountable to participate. This is not about me running my mouth everyday but everyone that wants to share something special for others. I absolutely hate forums that folks are not a part of or no interest so before you put your comments down be prepared to share with others. Because I want YOU to help me make this something special. It needs the members. Ill talk to Jack and Bob and see where this forum would reside if this is what we as members want to do. I truly think it would be fun and damn we all may just learn a new trick or two.

Like to hear your comments.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New technique forum.

+1 would love to hear about folks creative problem solving and contribute to this where I can. Absolutely a great idea!

Pictures are made, not just taken ...
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sounds like a great idea

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great idea. I’ll start and set the bar very low. I don’t like using flash, but sometimes I find it necessary, e.g. outside macro shots when wind is a problem. I don’t care for direct flash at all. I could invest in a reflector or diffuser, but I rarely need them and I’m too cheap. My solution: I cut a hole in a clean, translucent plastic milk container just large enough to accommodate the flash head. I’ve also lined the back of the bottle with aluminum foil to increase the output. It works fine, no harsh light; although you probably don’t want anyone to see the set up.

Tom
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am all for it and even will send in an advanced subscription!

PS: In terms of contribution, I can throw in my experiences with IR and UV photography.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm thinking its it own forum with different threads on different techniques. My first one is how to cheat without a TS lens . Stuff like this. Lighting stuff as well. Even software to get certain looks. Bottom line it's a learning forum that is not brand or format specific. It's about you as a artist coming up to a final image . The 5 W's in journalism per say.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm up for it! Spent 10 years as a wedding photog (for my sins) and have been working in repro for a year and a half using med format. I've shot landscape all of my photographic life using everything from digital to MF and LF film and have moderate studio lighting skills. Would love to be able to share and help with techniques learnt the hard way.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think a forum that that would be a great resource. It would be double wonderful if users like me can post questions and turn it into a "how to shoot it" forum.
    David Young
    My journey into Leica: LeicaLux.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Very good idea, I'm always open to sharing what works for me and what doesn't.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi

I would like to help in any way I can, Sharing is good - Learning is good - The forum should be good.

For me personally I always am interested in the way people think, and the way things are done.

I will contribute in any way I can.

Maybe it someone sees an image and wants to ask something (after the compliments of course ) the thread can move into Guy's new forum.

Phil
    Last edited by alajuela; 7th September 2013 at 16:46.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by alajuela View Post
    Hi

I would like to help in any way I can, Sharing is good - Learning is good - The forum should be good.

For me personally I always am interested in the way people think, and the way things are done.

I will contribute in any way I can.

Maybe it someone sees an image and wants to ask something (after the compliments of course ) the thread can move into Guy's new forum.

Phil
    That's actually a great idea. If we can get members to ask the poster that made a image to start a thread in the new forum on the 5 W's that would very cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I realize this maybe completely outside the box of other sites but that's what makes it special. At least to me. Frankly folks I'm tired of endless my brand or format is better than the other brand. How you get to the end is far more interesting.

BTW Jack likes the idea as well. Just figuring out its new home and at least I was thinking a whole new main title.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, this idea as others have stated is an excellent one and I'm all up for participating and contributing where I can be of some value. Whether one is a pro, advanced amateur, hobbiest as such, we all have our photographic nitches where we have some expertise in how to approach certain forms of photographic objectives and how best to not only reach our objectives, but lookout for the common pitfalls that one often encounter in such endeavors.

Personally, although I engage in many types of photographic projects in capturing images, concert and the performing arts is where I often focus a lot of my energy. This form of photography like so many others brings on its own unique set of requirements and encounters a myriad of issues that need to be addressed before, doing and after the shoot.

I would assume when others talk about their own experiences in what they shoot, I wouldn't be surprised to learn of novel approaches and ideas that could be universally applied to each of our forms of capturing images and also possibly help solve some technical issues that we sometimes experience.

Dave (D&A)

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like this idea. A lot. My favorite thread of all time is the "Behind the Scenes", showing the setup and environment together with the shot. There is always some discussion of techniques and processing. It is fabulously informative.

Big

--Matt
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Done! We have re-ordered the "Other Discussions" section and added this one at the top for discussion of new or interesting techniques. we hope you find it useful and beneficial! As a first thread, we will be moving this one in that Guy started. Enjoy!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jack . Lets use this thread as a guide as to what this new forum is all about. Ill lock this thread and as folks come up with ideas on what they want to present to the members they can start new threads on diffrent topics. End of day as we continue on into the future this will serve as a reference forum to learn and share. I'm going to start to work on my first piece and hope others put some thoughts together and work on theirs.

Thanks and have fun!!!!