The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New technique forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Been thinking about this one for a long time as both a photographer and instructor. For me I do a lot of different types of photography that call for things that usually run the gamut of techniques and I always thought it would be a great forum to talk about how things are done. Lets be honest here my job as a Pro is one thing only and that is to solve someone's needs and with that you take on the role of being a problem solver a jack of all trades and Swiss Army knife all rolled up into delivering a image or images to clients. Now you don't have to be a Pro to be a problem solver as we all run into shooting situations that require lets call it special needs or even gear for that matter.

So like to hear folks thoughts on this because I want everyone to participate on how they get shots done. This is not brand or format specific either this is all about being a photographer, artist or a shooter whatever you like to call yourself but it is about the how you go about creating art. If we get some positive responses to this and people WANT to do a forum like this. Ill make it happen, but I am going to hold people accountable to participate. This is not about me running my mouth everyday but everyone that wants to share something special for others. I absolutely hate forums that folks are not a part of or no interest so before you put your comments down be prepared to share with others. Because I want YOU to help me make this something special. It needs the members. Ill talk to Jack and Bob and see where this forum would reside if this is what we as members want to do. I truly think it would be fun and damn we all may just learn a new trick or two.

Like to hear your comments.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
+1 would love to hear about folks creative problem solving and contribute to this where I can. Absolutely a great idea!

Pictures are made, not just taken ... :thumbs:

tsjanik

Great idea. I’ll start and set the bar very low. I don’t like using flash, but sometimes I find it necessary, e.g. outside macro shots when wind is a problem. I don’t care for direct flash at all. I could invest in a reflector or diffuser, but I rarely need them and I’m too cheap. My solution: I cut a hole in a clean, translucent plastic milk container just large enough to accommodate the flash head. I’ve also lined the back of the bottle with aluminum foil to increase the output. It works fine, no harsh light; although you probably don’t want anyone to see the set up.

Tom

V

Vivek

I am all for it and even will send in an advanced subscription! ;)

PS: In terms of contribution, I can throw in my experiences with IR and UV photography. :)

Guy Mancuso

I'm thinking its it own forum with different threads on different techniques. My first one is how to cheat without a TS lens . Stuff like this. Lighting stuff as well. Even software to get certain looks. Bottom line it's a learning forum that is not brand or format specific. It's about you as a artist coming up to a final image . The 5 W's in journalism per say.

Ben Rubinstein

I'm up for it! Spent 10 years as a wedding photog (for my sins) and have been working in repro for a year and a half using med format. I've shot landscape all of my photographic life using everything from digital to MF and LF film and have moderate studio lighting skills. Would love to be able to share and help with techniques learnt the hard way.

Hosermage

I think a forum that that would be a great resource. It would be double wonderful if users like me can post questions and turn it into a "how to shoot it" forum.

alajuela

Hi

I would like to help in any way I can, Sharing is good - Learning is good - The forum should be good.

For me personally I always am interested in the way people think, and the way things are done.

I will contribute in any way I can.

Maybe it someone sees an image and wants to ask something (after the compliments of course :p) the thread can move into Guy's new forum.

Phil

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Hi

I would like to help in any way I can, Sharing is good - Learning is good - The forum should be good.

For me personally I always am interested in the way people think, and the way things are done.

I will contribute in any way I can.

Maybe it someone sees an image and wants to ask something (after the compliments of course :p) the thread can move into Guy's new forum.

Phil
That's actually a great idea. If we can get members to ask the poster that made a image to start a thread in the new forum on the 5 W's that would very cool.

Guy Mancuso

I realize this maybe completely outside the box of other sites but that's what makes it special. At least to me. Frankly folks I'm tired of endless my brand or format is better than the other brand. How you get to the end is far more interesting.

BTW Jack likes the idea as well. Just figuring out its new home and at least I was thinking a whole new main title.

D&A

Guy, this idea as others have stated is an excellent one and I'm all up for participating and contributing where I can be of some value. Whether one is a pro, advanced amateur, hobbiest as such, we all have our photographic nitches where we have some expertise in how to approach certain forms of photographic objectives and how best to not only reach our objectives, but lookout for the common pitfalls that one often encounter in such endeavors.

Personally, although I engage in many types of photographic projects in capturing images, concert and the performing arts is where I often focus a lot of my energy. This form of photography like so many others brings on its own unique set of requirements and encounters a myriad of issues that need to be addressed before, doing and after the shoot.

I would assume when others talk about their own experiences in what they shoot, I wouldn't be surprised to learn of novel approaches and ideas that could be universally applied to each of our forms of capturing images and also possibly help solve some technical issues that we sometimes experience.

Dave (D&A)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I like this idea. A lot. My favorite thread of all time is the "Behind the Scenes", showing the setup and environment together with the shot. There is always some discussion of techniques and processing. It is fabulously informative.

Big :thumbs:

--Matt

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Done! We have re-ordered the "Other Discussions" section and added this one at the top for discussion of new or interesting techniques. we hope you find it useful and beneficial! As a first thread, we will be moving this one in that Guy started. Enjoy!

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Jack . Lets use this thread as a guide as to what this new forum is all about. Ill lock this thread and as folks come up with ideas on what they want to present to the members they can start new threads on diffrent topics. End of day as we continue on into the future this will serve as a reference forum to learn and share. I'm going to start to work on my first piece and hope others put some thoughts together and work on theirs.

Thanks and have fun!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.