The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Taking payments with a Surface Pro 3

Don Libby

Several years ago I began taking credit card payments using a "Square". The only downside was it would only work either with my Android phone or an iPad. Since I own both no problem other than it was much easier using the iPad (mini) for signatures and it was one more thing I had to take with me.

Last year I began tethering with a Surface Pro 2 then shortly afterwards upgraded to a SP3 and thus began carrying one more tool with me while on the road.

This morning I discovered that PayPal is now compatible with the SP3 and using a device similar to the Square one is now able to use it to accept credit cards. Since I've had a PayPal business account much longer than I've been using a Square I'm going to look into this and will report back. The user fees seems to be close to each other and I'm looking for a tool that I can use that I always carry with me (besides a phone) and since I use the SP3 to not only tether but for reading (off Amazon) it fits the bill.

First wake up, a couple cups of coffee then more research....

Don

Last edited:

kdphotography

Gotta have a wifi connection though to use a credit card reader on the SP3 et al

In that regard, it's still much easier to use the Square Reader (or similar) on your smart phone----which is always connected to the internet. On location, wifi isn't always available for the Surface Pro. Sure you can set up a hot spot, but at that point I'd simply use my card reader before my client grew impatient....

Don Libby

Didn't catch the wifi requirement but then again it's the same for the iPad so no real difference with me.

Don Libby

Ordered the dongle last night and downloaded the app (which appears to be very similar to the Square). Should be able to try it out after we return from Tahoe...

kdphotography

Hey, I bet the upcoming Surface Pro 4 has 4G LTE....

:ROTFL:

Enablers unite---this is going to be an expensive year. :eek:

Don Libby

Dual USB ports, one for the card reader the other for the dongle. We'll need another enabler meeting after the 4 is released.

Don Libby

And in order to get the message lost - I'm trying this out as I always have my phone and mini iPad as well as the SP3 when I travel; being able to take CC with the SP3 will lighten my load and still allow me the same flexibility I currently have with either the phone or iPad.

bab

you should be able to have your Credit Card Processor supply you with this latest gadget rambler 3.0 for the iPhoneIMG_4862.jpg not sure if it works with android but I would image so.