The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How To NOT Get Eyeglass Reflection

rollsman44

I have bee shooting for a long time and never had a problem with 1 or 2 people wearing glasses. But now when I shoot larger groups and there are several people wearing glasses is there a way NOT to get the Glare/ reflection from their eyeglasses? Thank you

BANKER1

I had the same problem last Saturday. After thinking about it, I feel I should have turned on the modeling lights on for my flash units. That would have shown the problems with reflections in glasses. You can then have the individuals lift or lower their chins to get rid of the reflection. If that doesn't work take a picture, look at it, and adjust the problems before taking another until you get the results you want. This is assuming they can hold that pose.

Greg

David Schneider

If in the studio, raise the main light higher. Then see if you can drop chin so light reflecting off glasses bounces down, not toward the camera.

robertwright

generally getting the lights higher and the chin's pointed down a tad will work but if people have really strong prescriptions with lots of curvature sometimes nothing helps. In groups it is tough and you end up doing some post head swapping in photoshop.

polarization is not a great route- you lose about two stops on the light (if you can find the polarizer sheets which are very expensive) and you lose a further two stops on the lens, plus it affects colors and shadows differently. The only time I've ever double polarized was doing copy work of paintings.

JaapD

I had the same problem and also removed the glass. After doing so the image looked fake and it was clearly visible there were no glasses in. As part of looking at eyeglasses it seems that all of us are expecting to see some kind of a reflection.

I put the glass back in and figured out the best angle of the lights on the models’ eyeglasses. In the end this gave me the perfect shot.

Last edited: