The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Stop Apple Photos

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Thank you . I love ya for this. It's making me insane
Driving me insane doesn't quite cover it. Pissing me right off is more accurate. Every time I load a card for C1 that photo virus decided to pop. Nice to be able to perform a mercy killing on it.

Thank you!!

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Yes! Yes!

I've been hitting Command-Q by reflex whenever I insert a card. Now I have to stop doing that or C1 will quit. :buggies:

Godfrey

This problem has bugged a LOT of people.
I'm tracking several bugs I wrote about it, some have hundreds of comments, etc.
Hopefully Apple fix it soon, beyond the (likely fragile) defaults setting. The current behavior is obnoxious.

G

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Hopefully Apple fix it soon, beyond the (likely fragile) defaults setting. The current behavior is obnoxious.

G
Agreed - it used to be that you could set Image Capture settings to an alternative default application but the arrogant Apple guys decided that choice wasn't going to be easier going forward. I'm the biggest Apple fan boy and in fact they are my customer (call them, or the Apple Store, or chat, and that's my system) but the relentless transition to IOS centric applications is truly objectionable.

Godfrey

Agreed - it used to be that you could set Image Capture settings to an alternative default application but the arrogant Apple guys decided that choice wasn't going to be easier going forward. I'm the biggest Apple fan boy and in fact they are my customer (call them, or the Apple Store, or chat, and that's my system) but the relentless transition to IOS centric applications is truly objectionable.
I don't see how this is related to "iOS centric" anything, personally. It is just badly designed behavior.

This particular interaction has always been a source of contention between the various powers that be, for reasons that I find difficult to fathom. The current behavior is just stupid.

pikme

There is a checkbox in Photos

I just got around to upgrading to El Capitan last week. The first time I went to download images (I use Photo Mechanic), Photos launched with a checkbox at the top left asking if I wanted to 'open Photos for this device'. I left the checkbox unchecked and haven't been bothered by Photos since then.