The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Suggestions For Processing My Images From SD Card to LR 5

rollsman44

I am trying to find the Best way to Delete the unwanted images from my SD card before moving them over to LR for post processing.
When should I delete the unwanted images and not lose the number sequence. In case I decide to go back to the orig file numbers I would have different numbers from my PP image numbers and not the same numbers on the SD card. Thank you

Godfrey

I am trying to find the Best way to Delete the unwanted images from my SD card before moving them over to LR for post processing.
When should I delete the unwanted images and not lose the number sequence. In case I decide to go back to the orig file numbers I would have different numbers from my PP image numbers and not the same numbers on the SD card. Thank you
I don't understand your question.

However, the best and easiest thing to do is to delete nothing from your card at all, import everything into Lightroom. Do whatever culling and deletion you want with Lightroom. If you then need your photos to all be numbered sequentially, rename them in Lightroom with the Library > Rename File function, using a pattern that includes a numeric sequence.

G

rollsman44

I don't understand your question.

However, the best and easiest thing to do is to delete nothing from your card at all, import everything into Lightroom. Do whatever culling and deletion you want with Lightroom. If you then need your photos to all be numbered sequentially, rename them in Lightroom with the Library > Rename File function, using a pattern that includes a numeric sequence.

G
Ok, I do that now. What if I need to go back the the SD card if something went wrong with my PP images. My card numbers would not match the numbers on my Processed images. Thank you

Godfrey

Ok, I do that now. What if I need to go back the the SD card if something went wrong with my PP images. My card numbers would not match the numbers on my Processed images. Thank you
I'm not sure what that means. Why would you "go back to the SD card"? What do you fear might "go wrong with your PP images"? And why would whether your card numbers match ?your PP images?? or whatever else matter?

After I transfer my images to the computer with Lightroom, ensure that they are all good, and run my backup-archiving software so that there are three copies of all originals (working, archive1, and archive2), I format the SD card. In a decade's time and 340,000 images in my master library, I've never had retrieve anything from the archives. Nothing has ever gone wrong with my rendered images, and whatever the original filenames might have been makes no difference since I have Lightroom rename all files when it imports them anyway.

This is why I'm perplexed by your query.

G

rollsman44

I'm not sure what that means. Why would you "go back to the SD card"? What do you fear might "go wrong with your PP images"? And why would whether your card numbers match ?your PP images?? or whatever else matter?

After I transfer my images to the computer with Lightroom, ensure that they are all good, and run my backup-archiving software so that there are three copies of all originals (working, archive1, and archive2), I format the SD card. In a decade's time and 340,000 images in my master library, I've never had retrieve anything from the archives. Nothing has ever gone wrong with my rendered images, and whatever the original filenames might have been makes no difference since I have Lightroom rename all files when it imports them anyway.

This is why I'm perplexed by your query.

G
I made the error. I do the same and backup all my images to an Ext drive. Do you primarily insert your SD card in the reader and have them open up in LR? Should I need to Delete any images in LR that I am not happy it will be ok to do so. That would be the place
to delete them and save the good ones ( export ) to the file on the HD. Thank you Dennis I do appreciate your help.