The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lighting Group Shots at their Home

rollsman44

Lighting Group Shots at their Home

When I have to go to a family;s house to do a Family group shot I use an umbrella or Big Softbox. What I like to know from others do you use a background light( or lights) to separate them from the background. The background is usually whatever is in their home. I would like to see what others have done in similar situation. Thank you

jdphoto

I'm just reading this now...
There's a couple of ways to do this. You could use lights with barn doors from the sides, behind the group. Control the spill of light to just illuminate the back wall with soft, subtle light. I would keep the light approximately 1/3rd less or more then your key light. You could also place a modifier such as this...

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...26165_Background_Reflector_for_Elinchrom.html

Obviously, use one that's compatible with your type of light. Hair lights or rim lights placed above and behind the subjects can also create background separation.