The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ordered the D300

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well after my mental debate i ordered the D300 from B&H just now since it was in stock. I also ordered the 180mm 2.8 new. I think a 270 mm will serve me very well for the runway stuff. I still have some stuff to sell to expand the Nikon line but I know the 85 pc lens is something i need and maybe the 24 shift than a zoom at some point mid-range. This camera will have to target specific needs outside my M8 realm.

LJL

Congrats!!! The D300 looks pretty impressive. A colleague of mine is about to get one this week also. Nikon has come back into play very seriously again, and that is good.

My main reservation is still the 1.5x crop, but there is excellent Nikon glass to overcome most of that now. I can see you thinking about that 14-24/2.8 soon too, as it looks to provide some nice range also, but the 24 shift does help for more architectural shooting. Good choice problems to have, eh?

I think you are going to enjoy the D300, Guy. The 5D is still a great imager also, but needs a serious refresh, plus an ergonomics overhaul, in my opinion. The D300 may hit enough marks for many folks to consider it for a lot of options at this point. (Tom Hogan's review is interesting.....he basically thinks the D300 has made the D2XS dead, and only the D3 has some edge for some things in the Nikon line. But the smaller size of the D300 is hard to pass up for what it produces.)

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Congrats!!! The D300 looks pretty impressive. A colleague of mine is about to get one this week also. Nikon has come back into play very seriously again, and that is good.

My main reservation is still the 1.5x crop, but there is excellent Nikon glass to overcome most of that now. I can see you thinking about that 14-24/2.8 soon too, as it looks to provide some nice range also, but the 24 shift does help for more architectural shooting. Good choice problems to have, eh?

I think you are going to enjoy the D300, Guy. The 5D is still a great imager also, but needs a serious refresh, plus an ergonomics overhaul, in my opinion. The D300 may hit enough marks for many folks to consider it for a lot of options at this point. (Tom Hogan's review is interesting.....he basically thinks the D300 has made the D2XS dead, and only the D3 has some edge for some things in the Nikon line. But the smaller size of the D300 is hard to pass up for what it produces.)

LJ

Yes I read his review which I found very well done . i give him high praise for that. I do need to think FF just in case i want to go there down the road so my lens choices have to support that. i wish is was not 1.5 that does bother me a little BUT the viewfinder is pretty big and bright so you don't feel it if you know what i mean. I get it Monday so i will post some shots even though they will be 180 shots to start. LOL

LJL

.... even though they will be 180 shots to start. LOL
I can see it coming :ROTFL:

The viewfinder has always been a discouragement for me on the crop cameras, but the D300 seems to have tamed that problem a lot. I think you are going to enjoy it a lot. (This goes back to that other thread on why Leica NEEDS to consider fielding these sorts of cameras in their own line.) When I saw that first poster shot taken with the D3 and the 14-24/2.8, I have to say that despite all the discussion, argument, defending and whatever, I did have some serious thoughts about moving back to Nikon. I was, and still am a bit afraid of how much I would lose on the swap at this point, or I would consider it myself.

So, looking forward to your 180mm shots next week, and then the ??? mm shortly after that :ROTFL::ROTFL:

LJ

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Psst Guy,
Wanna try some Nikon Glass
Hey, I see all of the big kids hitting on this glass; really cool stuff
come-on, try just one
I won't tell nobody.
;-)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, tell me about it.
I took just one hit of Linda's MP and the jobo tanks and fixer packages are starting to roll in. :wtf:
Besides, misery loves company.
-bob

Terry

Congratulations. Hopefully you will bring it to Carmel. If I didn't get the second M8 body I might have gotten that plus one zoom....and for my use the crop factor is an advantage. So, Jack won the what technology is Terry bringing to Carmel but it was close as to what I was going to do!

vieri

Hey Guy, welcome aboard the Nikon train - the D300 is a great camera, you are going to enjoy it. I use it together with a (just arrived) D3 for much of my studio & setup shoots (with some MF & some Leica stuff in the mix), while I use my Leicas only for street & PJ. The only problem you will have, I figure, is... you'll have to get some more glass soon! ;) I use them with a 12-24 that just replaced my 12-24 & 17-35 of D2x & film times, 35 f2, 50 f1.4, 85 f1.4, 105 f2 DC, 180 f2.8, 70-200 VR and couldn't be happier. A couple pics for you out of a shoot for a CD:

D300, 17-35 @ 24mm, 1/30 sec @ f3.2, 200 ISO, PP in PSCS3

D300, 85mm, 1/80 sec @ f5, 200 ISO, PP in PSCS3

PP was basically some cross-processing.

Enjoy your D300! :D

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Vieri. So how is the 17-35 on it. David has one he is selling.

It looks real nice here. I guess one question I have is Zeiss 85 1.4 or Nikons 85 1.4 one being manual of course which does not bother me in the slightest

Guy Mancuso

BTW i ordered at B&H because the 180mm is hard to find most places lately so it just made sense although i would have preferred my favorite store's like Dale or Camera West

vieri

Thanks Vieri. So how is the 17-35 on it. David has one he is selling.

It looks real nice here. I guess one question I have is Zeiss 85 1.4 or Nikons 85 1.4 one being manual of course which does not bother me in the slightest
Sure thing Guy - the 17-35 is a great lens, rightfully considered one of the best wide zoom made; works great with the D300, sharp and with little and easily removed distortion. Early production suffered of sample variation, so I suggest I check for it - problems with the focal plane and alignment of the elements were possible but AFIK later examples were just fine. I know mine was. The reason for me to switch to the 14-24, though a bigger lens and w/o filter thread (if that is important for you) is in the wider angle, nano coating doing great in contrast & flare control, apparently much better CA control (not that the 17-35 suffered much of it anyway).

As far as the 85 goes, the Nikkor is - together probably with the 105 f2 DC - my favorite portrait lens on DSRL bar none; I never tried the Zeiss though, but I haven't seen enough on the net to make consider switching. AF works well on the D300 with the 85 for a mechanical one but of course is not as silent as USM or AF-S (though really not noisy at all as far as AF goes).

You will not be disappointed by neither the 17-35 nor the 85 :D

David K

Workshop Member
Thanks Vieri that helps a lot
Guess I'll be getting an email pretty soon :) Guy, congrats on the new kit I think you are going to find some excitement with this camera... I know I have. There are just so many great features that Nikon has incorporated into their latest offerings. I just did my first test stitch with images taken with the PC-E 24... took me all of 2 minutes.

Guy Mancuso

I guess all you jokers are getting back at me for the countless money i made you all spend. That what goes around comes around saying really sucks.

harmsr

Workshop Member
Guy,

The 85 Zeiss is not easy to focus on the D300. Go with the Nikon. (Besides the Nikon 85 is a great lens.) I sold mine because of the high miss rate without a microprism/split ring screen.

The D3 is easier for manual, but I think the factory screen and focus confirmation light really only do well up to 50mm when shooting with an open aperture and close.

Best,

Ray

PS. I think that I will have to drop by after you get the D300 in order to force you into spending money on the 24-70/2.8 and 100/2.8 VR Macro. You won't be able to resist.:angel:

harmsr

Workshop Member
Sure. I'll start lifting weights this weekend, so that I can carry the D3, 24-70, Zeiss 50s, & 105 Vr with me.:ROTFL:

I have to admit that I'm EXTREMELY ANXIOUS to get the Nikon 45 PC-E lens whenever it is released as my next lens. That will make my firearms shots for the magazines so much easier.

I do want to see that 180 which is also on my consideration list.