The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ordered the D300

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I recommend that you add to your nikon kit a tennis elbow strap. If you don't need it now, you will, so it is best to be prepared.
-bob

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Speaking of Nikon kits, what's happening with the used Nikon market? Is a NIkon D2Xs a big white elephant? I have to believe that a lot of others like me would like to trade up or in for a D3 or a D300.

vieri

Speaking of Nikon kits, what's happening with the used Nikon market? Is a NIkon D2Xs a big white elephant? I have to believe that a lot of others like me would like to trade up or in for a D3 or a D300.
There are many D2x on the market now, and quite a few D2xs as well - prices are low, about the price of a new D300 or slightly higher.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I posted this on the other thread also

Well just placed a order for the 105 macro from Nikon. Ray twisted my arm pretty bad. I also ordered a SB800, no one does flash better than Nikon , I remember that from my past and still holds true.

One more lens for now Davids 17-35 or the 24-70. I just actually did the math with the M8 i use the 28,35 and 50 for this event stuff right well that is 36, 46 , 75. Okay the nikon 24-70 is 36-105 and exactly in that range. Hmmm i might have to go with the 24-70. For the wider stuff it would be Leica M8 anyway. The PC lens will have to come later.

I hate this stuff sometimes. LOL

vieri

I posted this on the other thread also

Well just placed a order for the 105 macro from Nikon. Ray twisted my arm pretty bad. I also ordered a SB800, no one does flash better than Nikon , I remember that from my past and still holds true.

One more lens for now Davids 17-35 or the 24-70. I just actually did the math with the M8 i use the 28,35 and 50 for this event stuff right well that is 36, 46 , 75. Okay the nikon 24-70 is 36-105 and exactly in that range. Hmmm i might have to go with the 24-70. For the wider stuff it would be Leica M8 anyway. The PC lens will have to come later.

I hate this stuff sometimes. LOL
Apparently the 24-70 is a fantastic lens - not that I am trying to spend your money... ;) :D

harmsr

Workshop Member
:thumbs:Glad I can contribute to the delinquency.

If 24-70 range works for you on the bottom end, that is the lens you really want. I'll bet you that you are in agreement after seeing files from it on your monitor Monday. Want to bet????;)

Ray

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Psst
and dat 24-70 will work wid the D3, for when da D300 starts to lose its kick.

David K

Workshop Member
Guy,
If you want I can shoot both the 17-35 and 24-70 for an image comparison. They're both great lenses so I don't expect much of an IQ difference. I'd make my decision based on which focal length is better for you. The 24-70 is a bit longer, about an inch and a half pre-zoom and maybe 2.5 inches zoomed.

Guy Mancuso

I'm leaning at the 24-70 but the cost of the 17-35 is certainly better. I want the 85 PC lens but I hear there is a new one coming so maybe worth the wait. I will play with Rays Monday so i may have e better idea than too.

Guy Mancuso

I just have this sneaky feeling deep down that the D3 may not be far off. I have to see how these files are looking from the d300 first though.

Guy Mancuso

Well I made a commitment since the 85 Zeiss which I really like but does not focus well on the d300 i just bought the 85 mm Nikon for a good price slightly used on e-bay 875.00 sounded pretty good . So i will get Davids 17-35 from him . Out of money now. So in the end i will have to start a nice setup

D300
17-35
Nikon 85 I almost bought Ron's Zeiss very close here
Nikon 105 maco
Nikon 180
SB800

Maybe get a 50 and that would give me a nice range. Than if i go down the D3 path sell the 17-35 and 50 and get the 24-70. Not perfect but a good start back into some Nikon gear and this fills in the M8 gaps for me.

gromitspapa

Be curious to see what you think of the D300 compared to all the Leica stuff you've got, Guy. Be sure to check out Capture NX for processing RAW files. It's reputed to be the best, although slow in large volume workflows. There's a free 30 day trial for it and you can probably find a license for it for around $80 since it came bundled with the early D300s and D3s and many buyers didn't need it. Also some quick video tutorials to give you an idea. I really like the U-Point tool:
http://www.capturenx.com/

I have the hand strap and love it:
http://www.nikonmall.com/product.asp?sku=3065120#

I'm not as experienced as some in this thread, but I struggled with my 85mm Zeiss ZF. So many non-keepers, even with a Katz Eye on my previous D200. Sold it to fund the D300 upgrade.

vieri

Be curious to see what you think of the D300 compared to all the Leica stuff you've got, Guy. Be sure to check out Capture NX for processing RAW files. It's reputed to be the best, although slow in large volume workflows. There's a free 30 day trial for it and you can probably find a license for it for around $80 since it came bundled with the early D300s and D3s and many buyers didn't need it. Also some quick video tutorials to give you an idea. I really like the U-Point tool:
http://www.capturenx.com/

I have the hand strap and love it:
http://www.nikonmall.com/product.asp?sku=3065120#

I'm not as experienced as some in this thread, but I struggled with my 85mm Zeiss ZF. So many non-keepers, even with a Katz Eye on my previous D200. Sold it to fund the D300 upgrade.
I second using Capture NX to get the best out of Nikon's NEF. You will find a free version bundled with your D300, if the promotion is still going on. I know it is where I live. Guy if you don't, PM me - I got two of them, one for my D300 & one for my D3. :D

vieri

Well I made a commitment since the 85 Zeiss which I really like but does not focus well on the d300 i just bought the 85 mm Nikon for a good price slightly used on e-bay 875.00 sounded pretty good . So i will get Davids 17-35 from him . Out of money now. So in the end i will have to start a nice setup

D300
17-35
Nikon 85 I almost bought Ron's Zeiss very close here
Nikon 105 maco
Nikon 180
SB800

Maybe get a 50 and that would give me a nice range. Than if i go down the D3 path sell the 17-35 and 50 and get the 24-70. Not perfect but a good start back into some Nikon gear and this fills in the M8 gaps for me.
Very good setup Guy, I have them all too - except I sold the 17-35 recently to get the 14-24. I'd say, throw in a couple hundred bucks for the 50 f1.4 and you're good to go :D besides, this is a kit that will take you smoothly into the FF world would you decide to do so... D3 is working great man, much over my expectations I'd have to say (the D300 had the same effect though, much better than I expected) :D

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Vieri and gromitspapa. Yes i think i set myself pretty good for the D300 and if the D3 comes into play i can move a couple things around pretty easy to match it better , it's a good start. I'm not expecting to be better than my M8's but I do expect it to better in the higher ISO's if i can pull off 1600 that would be great. I do keep hearing Nikon Capture NX is the raw processor to use . Hope it is in the box, Vieri let you know if I need it. Thanks for the offer. I love this forum, I have received so many generous offers from folks to try stuff and such. Nice having a forum with friends. Thanks everyone your help is very much appreciated.

Guy Mancuso

I wound up getting the Canon hand strap to hook up to the RRS plate i got. The Nikon goes to a thumb screw for the tripod mount. Bet i could take that part off and hook it to the RRS instead. Did not see that earlier , may have to get it anyway to see if I can convert it.

vieri

Thanks Vieri and gromitspapa. Yes i think i set myself pretty good for the D300 and if the D3 comes into play i can move a couple things around pretty easy to match it better , it's a good start. I'm not expecting to be better than my M8's but I do expect it to better in the higher ISO's if i can pull off 1600 that would be great. I do keep hearing Nikon Capture NX is the raw processor to use . Hope it is in the box, Vieri let you know if I need it. Thanks for the offer. I love this forum, I have received so many generous offers from folks to try stuff and such. Nice having a forum with friends. Thanks everyone your help is very much appreciated.
Sure thing Guy - let me know about NX, again definitely the way to go. About ISO 1600, it is very usable on the D300 - and simply unbelievable on the D3 IMHO :D

Terry

Guy,
Capture NX is supposed to be included with all new D300's