Site Sponsors

Thread: Ordered the D300

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ordered the D300

Well after my mental debate i ordered the D300 from B&H just now since it was in stock. I also ordered the 180mm 2.8 new. I think a 270 mm will serve me very well for the runway stuff. I still have some stuff to sell to expand the Nikon line but I know the 85 pc lens is something i need and maybe the 24 shift than a zoom at some point mid-range. This camera will have to target specific needs outside my M8 realm.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ordered the D300

Congrats!!! The D300 looks pretty impressive. A colleague of mine is about to get one this week also. Nikon has come back into play very seriously again, and that is good.

My main reservation is still the 1.5x crop, but there is excellent Nikon glass to overcome most of that now. I can see you thinking about that 14-24/2.8 soon too, as it looks to provide some nice range also, but the 24 shift does help for more architectural shooting. Good choice problems to have, eh?

I think you are going to enjoy the D300, Guy. The 5D is still a great imager also, but needs a serious refresh, plus an ergonomics overhaul, in my opinion. The D300 may hit enough marks for many folks to consider it for a lot of options at this point. (Tom Hogan's review is interesting.....he basically thinks the D300 has made the D2XS dead, and only the D3 has some edge for some things in the Nikon line. But the smaller size of the D300 is hard to pass up for what it produces.)

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LJL View Post
    Congrats!!! The D300 looks pretty impressive. A colleague of mine is about to get one this week also. Nikon has come back into play very seriously again, and that is good.

My main reservation is still the 1.5x crop, but there is excellent Nikon glass to overcome most of that now. I can see you thinking about that 14-24/2.8 soon too, as it looks to provide some nice range also, but the 24 shift does help for more architectural shooting. Good choice problems to have, eh?

I think you are going to enjoy the D300, Guy. The 5D is still a great imager also, but needs a serious refresh, plus an ergonomics overhaul, in my opinion. The D300 may hit enough marks for many folks to consider it for a lot of options at this point. (Tom Hogan's review is interesting.....he basically thinks the D300 has made the D2XS dead, and only the D3 has some edge for some things in the Nikon line. But the smaller size of the D300 is hard to pass up for what it produces.)

LJ

Yes I read his review which I found very well done . i give him high praise for that. I do need to think FF just in case i want to go there down the road so my lens choices have to support that. i wish is was not 1.5 that does bother me a little BUT the viewfinder is pretty big and bright so you don't feel it if you know what i mean. I get it Monday so i will post some shots even though they will be 180 shots to start. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    .... even though they will be 180 shots to start. LOL
    I can see it coming

The viewfinder has always been a discouragement for me on the crop cameras, but the D300 seems to have tamed that problem a lot. I think you are going to enjoy it a lot. (This goes back to that other thread on why Leica NEEDS to consider fielding these sorts of cameras in their own line.) When I saw that first poster shot taken with the D3 and the 14-24/2.8, I have to say that despite all the discussion, argument, defending and whatever, I did have some serious thoughts about moving back to Nikon. I was, and still am a bit afraid of how much I would lose on the swap at this point, or I would consider it myself.

So, looking forward to your 180mm shots next week, and then the ??? mm shortly after that

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Psst Guy,
    Wanna try some Nikon Glass
    Hey, I see all of the big kids hitting on this glass; really cool stuff
    come-on, try just one
    I won't tell nobody.
    ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just what i need now is a Nikon drug dealer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey, tell me about it.
    I took just one hit of Linda's MP and the jobo tanks and fixer packages are starting to roll in.
    Besides, misery loves company.
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations. Hopefully you will bring it to Carmel. If I didn't get the second M8 body I might have gotten that plus one zoom....and for my use the crop factor is an advantage. So, Jack won the what technology is Terry bringing to Carmel but it was close as to what I was going to do!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Guy, welcome aboard the Nikon train - the D300 is a great camera, you are going to enjoy it. I use it together with a (just arrived) D3 for much of my studio & setup shoots (with some MF & some Leica stuff in the mix), while I use my Leicas only for street & PJ. The only problem you will have, I figure, is... you'll have to get some more glass soon! I use them with a 12-24 that just replaced my 12-24 & 17-35 of D2x & film times, 35 f2, 50 f1.4, 85 f1.4, 105 f2 DC, 180 f2.8, 70-200 VR and couldn't be happier. A couple pics for you out of a shoot for a CD:

D300, 17-35 @ 24mm, 1/30 sec @ f3.2, 200 ISO, PP in PSCS3

D300, 85mm, 1/80 sec @ f5, 200 ISO, PP in PSCS3

PP was basically some cross-processing.

Enjoy your D300!
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Vieri. So how is the 17-35 on it. David has one he is selling.

It looks real nice here. I guess one question I have is Zeiss 85 1.4 or Nikons 85 1.4 one being manual of course which does not bother me in the slightest

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW i ordered at B&H because the 180mm is hard to find most places lately so it just made sense although i would have preferred my favorite store's like Dale or Camera West

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Vieri. So how is the 17-35 on it. David has one he is selling.

It looks real nice here. I guess one question I have is Zeiss 85 1.4 or Nikons 85 1.4 one being manual of course which does not bother me in the slightest
    Sure thing Guy - the 17-35 is a great lens, rightfully considered one of the best wide zoom made; works great with the D300, sharp and with little and easily removed distortion. Early production suffered of sample variation, so I suggest I check for it - problems with the focal plane and alignment of the elements were possible but AFIK later examples were just fine. I know mine was. The reason for me to switch to the 14-24, though a bigger lens and w/o filter thread (if that is important for you) is in the wider angle, nano coating doing great in contrast & flare control, apparently much better CA control (not that the 17-35 suffered much of it anyway).

As far as the 85 goes, the Nikkor is - together probably with the 105 f2 DC - my favorite portrait lens on DSRL bar none; I never tried the Zeiss though, but I haven't seen enough on the net to make consider switching. AF works well on the D300 with the 85 for a mechanical one but of course is not as silent as USM or AF-S (though really not noisy at all as far as AF goes).

You will not be disappointed by neither the 17-35 nor the 85
    Vieri Bottazzini
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Vieri that helps a lot

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Vieri that helps a lot
    Guess I'll be getting an email pretty soon Guy, congrats on the new kit I think you are going to find some excitement with this camera... I know I have. There are just so many great features that Nikon has incorporated into their latest offerings. I just did my first test stitch with images taken with the PC-E 24... took me all of 2 minutes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I guess all you jokers are getting back at me for the countless money i made you all spend. That what goes around comes around saying really sucks.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess all you jokers are getting back at me for the countless money i made you all spend. That what goes around comes around saying really sucks.
    ...spending money on gear? Who, me?
    Vieri Bottazzini

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The day is not over i am sure i will get what is coming to me.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Guy,

The 85 Zeiss is not easy to focus on the D300. Go with the Nikon. (Besides the Nikon 85 is a great lens.) I sold mine because of the high miss rate without a microprism/split ring screen.

The D3 is easier for manual, but I think the factory screen and focus confirmation light really only do well up to 50mm when shooting with an open aperture and close.

Best,

Ray

PS. I think that I will have to drop by after you get the D300 in order to force you into spending money on the 24-70/2.8 and 100/2.8 VR Macro. You won't be able to resist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sounds good Ray would like to see them and play a little

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure. I'll start lifting weights this weekend, so that I can carry the D3, 24-70, Zeiss 50s, & 105 Vr with me.

I have to admit that I'm EXTREMELY ANXIOUS to get the Nikon 45 PC-E lens whenever it is released as my next lens. That will make my firearms shots for the magazines so much easier.

I do want to see that 180 which is also on my consideration list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I recommend that you add to your nikon kit a tennis elbow strap. If you don't need it now, you will, so it is best to be prepared.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea that is what i don't want to do is start adding bulk and weight back. That is just scary. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Speaking of Nikon kits, what's happening with the used Nikon market? Is a NIkon D2Xs a big white elephant? I have to believe that a lot of others like me would like to trade up or in for a D3 or a D300.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    Speaking of Nikon kits, what's happening with the used Nikon market? Is a NIkon D2Xs a big white elephant? I have to believe that a lot of others like me would like to trade up or in for a D3 or a D300.
    There are many D2x on the market now, and quite a few D2xs as well - prices are low, about the price of a new D300 or slightly higher.
    Vieri Bottazzini

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I posted this on the other thread also

Well just placed a order for the 105 macro from Nikon. Ray twisted my arm pretty bad. I also ordered a SB800, no one does flash better than Nikon , I remember that from my past and still holds true.

One more lens for now Davids 17-35 or the 24-70. I just actually did the math with the M8 i use the 28,35 and 50 for this event stuff right well that is 36, 46 , 75. Okay the nikon 24-70 is 36-105 and exactly in that range. Hmmm i might have to go with the 24-70. For the wider stuff it would be Leica M8 anyway. The PC lens will have to come later.

I hate this stuff sometimes. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I posted this on the other thread also

Well just placed a order for the 105 macro from Nikon. Ray twisted my arm pretty bad. I also ordered a SB800, no one does flash better than Nikon , I remember that from my past and still holds true.

One more lens for now Davids 17-35 or the 24-70. I just actually did the math with the M8 i use the 28,35 and 50 for this event stuff right well that is 36, 46 , 75. Okay the nikon 24-70 is 36-105 and exactly in that range. Hmmm i might have to go with the 24-70. For the wider stuff it would be Leica M8 anyway. The PC lens will have to come later.

I hate this stuff sometimes. LOL
    Apparently the 24-70 is a fantastic lens - not that I am trying to spend your money...
    Vieri Bottazzini

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad I can contribute to the delinquency.

If 24-70 range works for you on the bottom end, that is the lens you really want. I'll bet you that you are in agreement after seeing files from it on your monitor Monday. Want to bet????

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No because you will win and that is what scares me. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Psst
    and dat 24-70 will work wid the D3, for when da D300 starts to lose its kick.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,
    If you want I can shoot both the 17-35 and 24-70 for an image comparison. They're both great lenses so I don't expect much of an IQ difference. I'd make my decision based on which focal length is better for you. The 24-70 is a bit longer, about an inch and a half pre-zoom and maybe 2.5 inches zoomed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm leaning at the 24-70 but the cost of the 17-35 is certainly better. I want the 85 PC lens but I hear there is a new one coming so maybe worth the wait. I will play with Rays Monday so i may have e better idea than too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just have this sneaky feeling deep down that the D3 may not be far off. I have to see how these files are looking from the d300 first though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I made a commitment since the 85 Zeiss which I really like but does not focus well on the d300 i just bought the 85 mm Nikon for a good price slightly used on e-bay 875.00 sounded pretty good . So i will get Davids 17-35 from him . Out of money now. So in the end i will have to start a nice setup

D300
    17-35
    Nikon 85 I almost bought Ron's Zeiss very close here
    Nikon 105 maco
    Nikon 180
    SB800

Maybe get a 50 and that would give me a nice range. Than if i go down the D3 path sell the 17-35 and 50 and get the 24-70. Not perfect but a good start back into some Nikon gear and this fills in the M8 gaps for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Be curious to see what you think of the D300 compared to all the Leica stuff you've got, Guy. Be sure to check out Capture NX for processing RAW files. It's reputed to be the best, although slow in large volume workflows. There's a free 30 day trial for it and you can probably find a license for it for around $80 since it came bundled with the early D300s and D3s and many buyers didn't need it. Also some quick video tutorials to give you an idea. I really like the U-Point tool:
    http://www.capturenx.com/

I have the hand strap and love it:
    http://www.nikonmall.com/product.asp?sku=3065120#

I'm not as experienced as some in this thread, but I struggled with my 85mm Zeiss ZF. So many non-keepers, even with a Katz Eye on my previous D200. Sold it to fund the D300 upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gromitspapa View Post
    Be curious to see what you think of the D300 compared to all the Leica stuff you've got, Guy. Be sure to check out Capture NX for processing RAW files. It's reputed to be the best, although slow in large volume workflows. There's a free 30 day trial for it and you can probably find a license for it for around $80 since it came bundled with the early D300s and D3s and many buyers didn't need it. Also some quick video tutorials to give you an idea. I really like the U-Point tool:

I'm not as experienced as some in this thread, but I struggled with my 85mm Zeiss ZF. So many non-keepers, even with a Katz Eye on my previous D200. Sold it to fund the D300 upgrade.
    I second using Capture NX to get the best out of Nikon's NEF. You will find a free version bundled with your D300, if the promotion is still going on. I know it is where I live. Guy if you don't, PM me - I got two of them, one for my D300 & one for my D3.
    Vieri Bottazzini

Post Thanks / Like

Well I made a commitment since the 85 Zeiss which I really like but does not focus well on the d300 i just bought the 85 mm Nikon for a good price slightly used on e-bay 875.00 sounded pretty good . So i will get Davids 17-35 from him . Out of money now. So in the end i will have to start a nice setup

D300
    17-35
    Nikon 85 I almost bought Ron's Zeiss very close here
    Nikon 105 maco
    Nikon 180
    SB800

Maybe get a 50 and that would give me a nice range. Than if i go down the D3 path sell the 17-35 and 50 and get the 24-70. Not perfect but a good start back into some Nikon gear and this fills in the M8 gaps for me.
    Very good setup Guy, I have them all too - except I sold the 17-35 recently to get the 14-24. I'd say, throw in a couple hundred bucks for the 50 f1.4 and you're good to go besides, this is a kit that will take you smoothly into the FF world would you decide to do so... D3 is working great man, much over my expectations I'd have to say (the D300 had the same effect though, much better than I expected)
    Vieri Bottazzini

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Vieri and gromitspapa. Yes i think i set myself pretty good for the D300 and if the D3 comes into play i can move a couple things around pretty easy to match it better , it's a good start. I'm not expecting to be better than my M8's but I do expect it to better in the higher ISO's if i can pull off 1600 that would be great. I do keep hearing Nikon Capture NX is the raw processor to use . Hope it is in the box, Vieri let you know if I need it. Thanks for the offer. I love this forum, I have received so many generous offers from folks to try stuff and such. Nice having a forum with friends. Thanks everyone your help is very much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wound up getting the Canon hand strap to hook up to the RRS plate i got. The Nikon goes to a thumb screw for the tripod mount. Bet i could take that part off and hook it to the RRS instead. Did not see that earlier , may have to get it anyway to see if I can convert it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Vieri and gromitspapa. Yes i think i set myself pretty good for the D300 and if the D3 comes into play i can move a couple things around pretty easy to match it better , it's a good start. I'm not expecting to be better than my M8's but I do expect it to better in the higher ISO's if i can pull off 1600 that would be great. I do keep hearing Nikon Capture NX is the raw processor to use . Hope it is in the box, Vieri let you know if I need it. Thanks for the offer. I love this forum, I have received so many generous offers from folks to try stuff and such. Nice having a forum with friends. Thanks everyone your help is very much appreciated.
    Sure thing Guy - let me know about NX, again definitely the way to go. About ISO 1600, it is very usable on the D300 - and simply unbelievable on the D3 IMHO
    Vieri Bottazzini

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,
    Capture NX is supposed to be included with all new D300's

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I ordered one . I will try and switch it out

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gromitspapa View Post

All D300's ship with a free copy of Capture NX and View NX. Nikon finally got it right after four years of stonewalling and charging $125 for their software.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    All D300's ship with a free copy of Capture NX and View NX. Nikon finally got it right after four years of stonewalling and charging $125 for their software.

Woody
    I believe that was a promo for the early ones sold. It's no longer showing as included on Nikon's website. I agree with you, it should be included. Guy- it could be a CD or it might be a small piece of white paper that's easy to miss that has a strip covering the key code, if you have it. There's an interesting suite of filters from Nik (the maker of NX) that integrate seamlessly into NX. There's a free 30 day trial for the full set, too:
    http://www.niksoftware.com/cep2nx/usa/entry.php

Also, there's some Digitutors on Nikon Imaging's site that might be helpful:
    http://www.nikondigitutor.com/index_eng.html

Oh, and this is a nice publication:
    http://www.nikonworld.com/

And... consider the 2-year extended warranty on the body. I had seen them being sold on Adorama for as little as $60 on the D80 and was waiting for a similar deal on my D300, but now it looks like there's a 10 day after purchase limit, which I missed. I'm still going to call Nikon about that, though. Technically, you're supposed to register your lenses within 10 days to get the 4 year extension to the 1 year warranty, but they're loosed about that. No need to push it, though. No warranty at all on stuff bought used.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Coverage.html

If you want to mount a pre-AI lens, this guy is reputable and inexpensive for the conversion:
    http://www.aiconversions.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great info and thanks for taking the time to post this . I will start my reading. I hear the manual is big, the M8 i don't think i ever opened it . LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well everything is here now. The 17-35 works a charm just like i remember using it on the D200. The 105 macro is just flat out scary sharp. Still trying to figure that out for 750 bucks worth every cent. The 85 mm 1.4 looks to be really nice , has great bokeh . Maybe a touch soft and i mean a touch like my 75 lux soft wide open. I may need to adjust AF tuning but it was used in excellent condition. Looks almost new. The SB 800 works on both my M8's and the D300. That is awesome for me and much more comfortable on the M8. So happy days just need to get out and shoot. Okay have to admit the bulk and weight are back but honestly not to bad. The 105 is really big and the 180 mm you all seen some results and another 750 dollar lens worth every cent.