Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Zeiss ZF Lenses: Can we start the definitive thread?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Zeiss ZF Lenses: Can we start the definitive thread?

I don't think you can change the size of the Centerweighted Area when using a Non-CPU lens ... ?
    (I once read about that in the downloaded manual despite not owning the D700 myself, and I had a post about it in the below mentioned thread).
    Please also note my remark about the Spot metering being locked to the center focus point with a Non-CPU lens. It's rather important, and to be honest rather annoying, in my opinion.

See my post # 20 in this thread: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4328

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steen - good point.
    With non CPU-lens you're right, area size is 12 (that's what i use anyway, so forgot to mention this in the earlier post) but beside the non-active other exact sizes, the "average" setting is still available. Results vary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Documenting the "real life" (©KR ) long range ZF detail, this time one shot with the 21mm.

Same remarks apply as previously with the 50/2: no real PP, just basic RAW dev, so don't pay attention to color balance etc. File pretty much out of camera, global view then crops.

f2.8 handheld

general view

details center/right

details upper left corner

FWIW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bondo View Post
    I don't think you can change the size of the Centerweighted Area when using a Non-CPU lens ... ?
    (I once read about that in the downloaded manual despite not owning the D700 myself, and I had a post about it in the below mentioned thread).
    Please also note my remark about the Spot metering being locked to the center focus point with a Non-CPU lens. It's rather important, and to be honest rather annoying, in my opinion.

See my post # 20 in this thread: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4328
    After I enter my Non-CPU lens info I can select any of the center weighted width options in the custom settings menu. I've selected 15mm, but are you saying it lets me select it but doesn't actually use it? Seems a bit strange. I thought it would have been blanked out if the option wasn't an option, so to speak.

I'm going through and changing a lot of things in the basic setup now, like how the exposure indicator is defaulted to display back to front and half stop ev incriments as opposed to 1/3rds. I suppose I'm in effect actually retarding my super computer camera back to an Amiga 500.

This 35mm is something else though. Very please with it and can't wait to have the money to get the 50mm makro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    After I enter my Non-CPU lens info I can select any of the center weighted width options in the custom settings menu. I've selected 15mm, but are you saying it lets me select it but doesn't actually use it? (...)
    Yes tjv, I believe that is how it is (the setting is stored and used whenever you attach a CPU-lens).
    According to p. 112 in the D700 manual:

Center-weighted
    Camera meters entire frame but assigns greatest weight to area in center of frame
    (defaults to 12-mm circle in center of viewfinder; if CPU lens is attached, area can be selected using Custom Setting b5, Center-weighted area, pg.294, 1).
    Classic meter for portraits. 2

1 (Note 1)
    When non-CPU lens (pg. 372) is attached, average for entire frame will be used if Average is selected for Custom Setting b5;
    otherwise, center-weighted metering for non-CPU lenses will use 12-mm circle in center of viewfinder, regardless of setting selected for Non-CPU lens data."

screendump from p. 112 in the downloaded Nikon D700 manual

Post Thanks / Like

Great, thanks. I overlooked that page in the manual.

Considering some replacement focusing screens have either a split prism and / or a frenzel focusing aid, how do they effect the meter, if at all? I see on the Katzeye and Brightscreen sites they state about a 1/3 stop shift for spot metering. The Brightscreen #5 screen has a 13mm frenzel so I assume it will also effect center weighted metering as well as spot? It's very difficult to focus these faster manual lenses under less than ideal lighting.

Post Thanks / Like

How do people rate the corner / edge performance of the 35mm? If what I'm seeing is correct, I'm getting very soft edges at f2, marginally better at f2.8 and good by f4. Ia that usual?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes. Depends also on what you call "very soft".
    Vignetting for sure, exactly in the those proportions. 2 > 2.8 and gone by 4.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. Center sharpness is awesome, even wide open. Edge contrast is good wide open, but sharpness really suffers it seems, especially when dealing with objects over 1.5m away. For example, if I focus on an eyeball that sits in the outer 1/4 of the frame when doing a full body shot at f2, fine details aren't resolved but modeling is true to light. By f4 things are pretty even across the entire frame and even paws in the skin are well defined. Must say this lens is really killer and I'm probably just not used to such instant feedback which leads to silly pixel level evaluations. Also, I'm probably still getting used to SLR focusing without a split image.

Really want the 50mm Makro-Planar now. Have put a wanted to buy in the buy / sell section here in case someone wants to sell theirs. The 28mm would be awesome too... Still haven't even mounted the 24-70mm G. Maybe tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    Yes. Depends also on what you call "very soft".
    Vignetting for sure, exactly in the those proportions. 2 > 2.8 and gone by 4.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gutted.
    Just noticed that a few of the online stores I usually buy from have just put their price for the 50mm Makro-Planar up from $900US to $1150US. Seems other items aren't without increases also, including a few LF items I've been eyeing up from Horseman.
    Bummer...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Only small contribution I can make to this thread is that of all my Nikkor manual focus lenses over the thirty years I was shooting with Nikon gear, the Nikkor 105/2.5 AI-S consistently wow'ed me far more than other lenses in this focal length class from Leica (M system), Zeiss (Contax system), Minolta or Pentax that I used alongside it. And the Nikkor 20mm f/3.5 AI and AI-S series lenses remain amongst the nicest 20mm lenses I've used ... still using one of those.

I have little to no experience with the modern Nikon AF lenses or with the ZFs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I now shoot almost exclusively with the ZF lenses on my D3X body.

I have virtually no problems focusing and at 72 years old my eyes are certainly not what they used to be.

My favorites are the 28mm, 50 Makro, and 100 Makro. I find the image quality to be extraordinary. I also have the 18mm and the 35mm. I may sell the 18mm and buy instead the now released 21 Distagon.

Toting a bagful of these lenses is no more problematic (size, weight etc) than toting the 14-24, 28-70, and 70-200! Those zooms are also extremely good but not quite up to the ZF lenses IMHO

Hope this helps

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

I think I've been noticing curvature of field with the 35mm ZF, but I'm not sure. It seems most problematic wide open (of course) but I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is more poor off center performance wide open than COF. I'm so used to exceptional wide open performance from my Mamiya 7 kit and especially modern Leica glass I'm probably not sure what I'm exactly seeing! Is the 35mm ZF known for COF or am I being fussy and actually seeing normal fall off?

Woody, it seems you have the two other ZF lenses I want to complete my standard doco work kit. 28 and 50mm Makro. I have the 24-70mm Nikon, which is amazing for what it is, but the 35mm ZF is a step above. When looking through the viewfinder of a D3 I was surprised how much bigger and, I'm pretty sure, brighter it was than the D700's. I guess the D3X is in the same league and may be easier to focus without aids. Today I received my brightscreen focusing screen replacement. I got the diagonal split image and larger fenzel plus 8x10 crop marks. I've got a feeling it might be a bit crowded but I'll wait and see - a local tech is installing it and checking focus etc for me. I can always take it out if needed.

Woody, how about posting some shots done with that 50mm Makro of yours? I'd love to see them, especially from a D3x.

Thanks.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think I've been noticing curvature of field with the 35mm ZF, but I'm not sure. It seems most problematic wide open (of course) but I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is more poor off center performance wide open than COF. I'm so used to exceptional wide open performance from my Mamiya 7 kit and especially modern Leica glass I'm probably not sure what I'm exactly seeing! Is the 35mm ZF known for COF or am I being fussy and actually seeing normal fall off?

Woody, it seems you have the two other ZF lenses I want to complete my standard doco work kit. 28 and 50mm Makro. I have the 24-70mm Nikon, which is amazing for what it is, but the 35mm ZF is a step above. When looking through the viewfinder of a D3 I was surprised how much bigger and, I'm pretty sure, brighter it was than the D700's. I guess the D3X is in the same league and may be easier to focus without aids. Today I received my brightscreen focusing screen replacement. I got the diagonal split image and larger fenzel plus 8x10 crop marks. I've got a feeling it might be a bit crowded but I'll wait and see - a local tech is installing it and checking focus etc for me. I can always take it out if needed.

Woody, how about posting some shots done with that 50mm Makro of yours? I'd love to see them, especially from a D3x.

Thanks.

Tim
    Will do Tim in a couple of days. Right now I am booked solid (Damned!)

Woody

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Zeiss announced today the updated ZF.2 line of lenses, now chipped for Nikon. 'Bout time.

Link
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Zeiss announced today the updated ZF.2 line of lenses, now chipped for Nikon. 'Bout time.

Link
    Good, I was about to get a 35/2 for my F6 ... now I'll wait.

Thanks,

-Marc

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The new ZF.2 range will certainly make the workflow easier without having to remember to select the correct lens configuration.

Btw, did anyone read anything into the "We will offer the ZF series as long as the demand lasts" quote at the end of the press release? It seems a strange comment to make.

Post Thanks / Like

Damn it! Almost completed my kit and now they announce it! Such is life, I guess. I actually never thought I'd say this but I'd prefer to use the aperture dial on the D700 rather than the lens if for no other reason than user continuity between lenses. It would sure be good not to have to input lens data too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lens data is one click away (FN button)
    Love the aperture ring with the MF lenses since you already have your hand there anyhow (and that's great for video users, too).
    Never use the Program Mode.

Sounds like the only interest here for me would be the 1.8/35 instead of f2, might get one in the future to complete this focal range... even though i get around pretty well today with a downsized 21+50+105 kit.

What about the half stops btw?
    Hopefully there'll still be available from the body dial, they're nice to have handy in the studio.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    (...) Btw, did anyone read anything into the "We will offer the ZF series as long as the demand lasts" quote at the end of the press release? It seems a strange comment to make.
    I guess it just means that they realize that as soon as the new BIG-tweener sensor format Sony-R with a wide range of Zeiss manufactured ZR autofocus lenses at agressively competitive prices is realeased the demand for ZF, ZS, ZK, and ZE lenses will dry out and these lines will eventually be discontinued ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post
    I guess it just means that they realize that as soon as the new BIG-tweener sensor format Sony-R with a wide range of Zeiss manufactured ZR autofocus lenses at agressively competitive prices is realeased the demand for ZF, ZS, ZK, and ZE lenses will dry out and these lines will eventually be discontinued ...
    Hmm, wishful thinking perhaps?

While Nikon are still producing F mount cameras there will always be a market for ZF lenses. I don't see that market saturating really.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

definitely nothing but wishful thinking

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was wondering what was taking them so long to do this with Nikon. CV did it with their SL II lenses and CZ came out with chipped lenses for for Canon first. Now CV has Canon chipped SL II's and CZ has Nikon chipped ZF's. Conspiracy perhaps?
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Link
    Very good news. That means that I can get metering with my D80 and could consider buying a D90 instead of a D300s. Nicer size for my use, and the price difference would allow for one Zeiss lens
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 16th November 2009 at 14:23.

Post Thanks / Like

How about the nikon d5000? Does the chipped lenses afford metering and focus confirm?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now if they could only produce AF versions of the ZF.2 lenses I'm sure there would be a veritable stampede of folks wanting Zeiss glass on their Nikons.

I believe the reason we don't have AF Zeiss glass is due to Nikon patents - that said, how come Tamron/Sigma manage to produce and sell Nikon AF glass?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by docrjay View Post
    How about the nikon d5000? Does the chipped lenses afford metering and focus confirm?
    I'm no expert on AI lenses but I think it would. Technically the ZF.2 should be equivalent to an AI-P lens (AI + CPU) which is supported by the D5000.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's not patents directly, it's licensing. Nikon has to license CZ to produce AF lenses. At least that's what the CZ Sales Manager told me a PhotoPlus.

Post Thanks / Like

Manual focus lenses are superior according to Zeiss philosophy. They resisted so much making AF lenses for Contax, to the point that they forced Kyocera to make an AF body, the AX, by moving the film plate

This didn't stop them later on making AF lenses for the Contax N and 645, and now for Sony. My guess is that, if they will ever make AF lenses for other mounts, it would be in full cooperation with the camera manufacturer.
    M262 ZM 25/2.8 35/1.4 50/2 85/2

Post Thanks / Like

I heard that CZ once invested a huge amount of RnD in developing an auto focus system of lenses for Hasselblad but Hasselblad decided they weren't interested and discerning customers didn't want such technology. CZ then vowed not to work with them on such projects again. Kind of crazy, like Leica inventing AF then selling the patent to Minolta...

Off topic, and largely based around internet "facts," but interesting none the less...

Post Thanks / Like

Another question:
    How does one program the D700 so different Non CPU lenses can be selected through quick custom function buttons? I've lost my instructions...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another question:
    How does one program the D700 so different Non CPU lenses can be selected through quick custom function buttons? I've lost my instructions...
    Custom Setting Menu >> f (Controls) >> f5 (Assign FN Button) >> FUNC button + dials >> Choose Non-CPU lens number > OK

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's not patents directly, it's licensing. Nikon has to license CZ to produce AF lenses. At least that's what the CZ Sales Manager told me a PhotoPlus.
    I believe it's not a license as such, or at least not only a license, but access to the Nikon's source codes etc. Some of the third party manufacturers actually design the interface by reverse engineering, which sometimes causes problems when Nikon makes changes at their (the body) end. I believe that was the case with some Sigma lenses and the D200.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I believe it's not a license as such, or at least not only a license, but access to the Nikon's source codes etc. Some of the third party manufacturers actually design the interface by reverse engineering, which sometimes causes problems when Nikon makes changes at their (the body) end. I believe that was the case with some Sigma lenses and the D200.
    Quite possibly true. It could also have been a case of the Sales Manager "dumbing down" the situation to simplify the answer he gave me. I think CZ wants to avoid the Sigma issues and develop in full cooperation with the camera maker.

ddk

I was told the same thing regarding licensing issues 3 years ago by the man in charge of US, I don't see why they all have to lie...

tetsrfun

How does the optical performance of MF CZ lens with an "F" adapter compare to a ZF of similar focal length?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tetsrfun View Post
    How does the optical performance of MF CZ lens with an "F" adapter compare to a ZF of similar focal length?

Steve
    Beside the fact that Contax lenses cannot be adapted to Nikon, the ZF line consists of either improved Contax versions, or totally new designs that did not exist for Contax.

tetsrfun

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    Beside the fact that Contax lenses cannot be adapted to Nikon, the ZF line consists of either improved Contax versions, or totally new designs that did not exist for Contax.
    I should have specified Hasselblad CZ...Is there "optical" reason to use, for example, a 110 f/2 FE or a 180 F/4 with a Nikon?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tetsrfun View Post
    I should have specified Hasselblad CZ...Is there "optical" reason to use, for example, a 110 f/2 FE or a 180 F/4 with a Nikon?

Steve
    There are certainly some advantages like no vignetting whatsoever and uniform sharpness all over the frame. The ZF line does not go above 100mm FL anyway so the 180mm may be a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Very good news. That means that I can get metering with my D80 and could consider buying a D90 instead of a D300s. Nicer size for my use, and the price difference would allow for one Zeiss lens
    Jorgen, if you are going for Manual Focusing I suggest you take a very close look at the viewfinders, side by side. The D90 viewfinder may be a challenge for MF ?
    I don't know how big the difference is to the D300 viewfinder, but according to the specifications they are not the same.
    I use the D300 with ZF lenses, and I even want to upgrade to a D3/D700 at some point, just to get the bigger and brighter viewfinder. I don't care all that much about sensor size, for me the viewfinder is the crucial part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post
    Jorgen, if you are going for Manual Focusing I suggest you take a very close look at the viewfinders, side by side. The D90 viewfinder may be a challenge for MF ?
    I don't know how big the difference is to the D300 viewfinder, but according to the specifications they are not the same.
    I use the D300 with ZF lenses, and I even want to upgrade to a D3/D700 at some point, just to get the bigger and brighter viewfinder. I don't care all that much about sensor size, for me the viewfinder is the crucial part.
    Steen,
    Compared to the D300, there's hardly any difference:

D300 has 100% coverage and 0.94% magnification
    D90 has 96% coverage and 0.96% magnification

That's less than 2% difference in viewfinder size. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same prism, but masked and magnified differently. The S5, which I regularly use for manual focusing has 95% coverage and 0.94x magnification, which is 3% smaller than the D90.

The main disadvantages using the D90 vs. the D300s are ergonomics and autofocus, at least for my use. But half the price and smaller size are valid arguments as well

The D90 will still not meter with my AIS lenses though

At the moment, an m4/3 camera is on top of my priority list, but it's a very flexible list

Post Thanks / Like

Just received the 50mm Planar f1.4 as an interim lens until I can afford the Markro-Planar. I've got to say I'm quite impressed. It's soft wide open but by f2.8 it's very good indeed. Just an initial impression, but so far so good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    I now shoot almost exclusively with the ZF lenses on my D3X body.

Woody
    Woody

Now that I am in Florida I am back to my Nikon kit that I can take to the Ocean....got the D3X from Marc and use mostly the ZF lenses.

I think I might have asked you this before...but did you ever find a better screen than the standard Nikon matte screen?

Post Thanks / Like

A few notes after shooting a bit more with the 50mm f1.4 Planar.
    It's bloody soft wide open! I'm not used to this coming from modern Leica ASPH glass. I'd only use the Planar wide open in an absolute pinch or for that "ethereal" effect. CA is a problem - again I never really saw this with Leica glass - but can be handled to a point in post. From 2.8 it's super sharp and I actually don't mind the OOF areas, even when wide open. All in all, not in the same brilliant mind blowing optics league as the 50mm Summilux ASPH M or Summicron M, but at not even a 1/4 the price of the 'lux, who can complain? If I start using the Nikon more for personal doco work in the future I'll get the Makro-Planar, but for now the Planar is pretty sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    Beside the fact that Contax lenses cannot be adapted to Nikon ...
    That was true at one time. Some C/Y Zeiss lenses can now be adapted. See:

http://www.leitax.com/Zeiss-Contax-l...n-cameras.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A few notes after shooting a bit more with the 50mm f1.4 Planar.
    It's bloody soft wide open! I'm not used to this coming from modern Leica ASPH glass. I'd only use the Planar wide open in an absolute pinch or for that "ethereal" effect. CA is a problem - again I never really saw this with Leica glass - but can be handled to a point in post. From 2.8 it's super sharp and I actually don't mind the OOF areas, even when wide open. All in all, not in the same brilliant mind blowing optics league as the 50mm Summilux ASPH M or Summicron M, but at not even a 1/4 the price of the 'lux, who can complain? If I start using the Nikon more for personal doco work in the future I'll get the Makro-Planar, but for now the Planar is pretty sweet.
    What raw converter are you using? I found that Nikon Capture NX2 in particular was able to dial out CA even with ZF glass. Capture One also does a good job. ACR ... not a fan at all ...

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, well, I'm using Lightroom 2 / ACR, and from what I've read it's not as good with CA compared to the others. Will be interesting to see how Lightroom 3 improves things. I've never used NX2 as it doesn't fit with my archiving workflow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    Woody

Now that I am in Florida I am back to my Nikon kit that I can take to the Ocean....got the D3X from Marc and use mostly the ZF lenses.

I think I might have asked you this before...but did you ever find a better screen than the standard Nikon matte screen?
    Roger

Sorry it took me so long to respond.

I haven't done much experimenting with various screens for the D3 or D3X (only two Nikon bodies I own now). When I was shooting Canon I tried a number of screens as I was mostly shooting various adapted lenses, mostly Contax. I felt the large prism introduced some serious metering issues and caused the workflow to be very slow. So when I went back to Nikon (thank God!) I simply tried and tried until i felt confident I could hit the focus pretty rapidly and of course the metering was now spot on.

Sorry I can't be of more help

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Woody

Thanks I am not having any issues with the D3x. Now that I am using it daily I can nail the focus with the std screen. I am shooting almost exclusively with the D3x and the zeiss Zf lenses and a converted leica R 180/2.8 67mm . M9 s are not for the beach.

We have had good surf all season .....so the street is the beach !

Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Roger

Really nice series. The focus is on the light and catches the mood of surfing moreso than the details. I really like the results

Happy New year

Woody