The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

capture nx

jlm

Workshop Member
anyone up to speed on this? i have it working and is is about as fast as C1, and the control point method looks useful, but:
how do actually process when you are done tweaking? the only way i could find was to place the images that are ready to process into a folder by themselves then link to that in the batch/options menu. seems clunky

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Topmenu >> File >> Save As
and then choose between JPG, TIF and NEF
with the <Ctrl> button held down you can checkmark the relevant files in the left panel: "Browser"
(not quite sure if this is what you were actually asking about)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Steen we need a lesson on this software , it is real clunky for me. any video's out there to view

vieri

Steen we need a lesson on this software , it is real clunky for me. any video's out there to view
Yes, there is something here, look at the lower one of the two Top Menus >> Tutorials (and also something about the U Point Technology)
I haven't gone through this myself, so I really don't know how useful it is :eek:
Just hope it is at least of some help.
http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/software/capturenx/nxsp/top.htm
In my experience, I just use NX's basic conversion engine only. Whenever I tried to use these (great in theory, and I am sure once you get to know them also in practice) U-points, everything went very slow, and still I was missing the flexibility and power of PSCS3. However, I found that nothing beats NX and NC 4 before it when it comes to NEF conversion - converting selected files with only basic adjustments, is a quite simple affair with NX and the results for me are worth it :D YMMV, of course...

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I spent some time with it when I first got the D3/D300, but honestly, I am getting such excellent results with ACR 4.x that I wouldn't bother with NX.

The files are sensational for me, and my clients love the results; The greatest aspect of ACR for me is that you can drive the whole process from the keyboard, including increasing/decreasing field values, click "Done" without opening, use presets for similar setups, and Batch process while you have lunch.

when NX can do all that, and quickly, I will try it again—the alleged few per cent better IQ is not worth the trouble, time-wise.

OTOH, if NX CAN do all this, please let me know. Cheers, Kit

Guy Mancuso

See that is my issue i fly in LR which is the same engine Kit. I will have to try and compare a few and see if it is worth it.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
In another thread I spoke up for NX in response to Mitch's query about other RAW developers worth looking into. I think there is some validity in the claim that NX has a special way of treating Nikon files. But I also mentioned that I use it only on rare occasion.

What I failed to say is what others have encountered, that it's non-intuitive and slow compared to more familiar workflows (like Lightroom or ACR). 90% of the Nikon captures I make get processed with Adobe products. But if there's a shot that I think has more than I'm getting with them, I'll try NX and frequently get that something extra. However, I am not a working pro and can take the time to diddle around with anything that strikes my fancy.

So bottom line (IMHO), it's a free tool that offers a small, unique, processing option. But as an everyday conversion tool? Nope.

Guy Mancuso

Tim that is what I see so far if I need to get in there and do for example color moire than NX maybe my only choice. I think what I need to figure out is what makes it different than LR and when I run across that issue , than I can turn to NX. My big concern is how it may handle High ISO's . That one I have to figure out if I am okay at say ISO 3200 with LR or better off in NX. I am impressed with the files so far. Great info folks and for a couple new users we do appreciate the tips and advice. I know Mitch and I will need some help along the way.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Guy, a Q. for you:

Can you tell us why you use Lightroom rather than ACR? And is that for your M8 files as well?

I ask because I have never even opened either Aperture or Lightroom, and I read somewhere that the latest ACR (the one that came with CS3) had a large number of improvements that came directly from Lightroom (including the Recovery and Fill light sliders, not to mention sharpening that includes a masking control that *actually* shows you how the sharpening will affect the images) and many other additions that, for me, make it a really powerful app. As well, Bridge works properly now, and Batch processing is so efficient too. I read somewhere that some of these improvements came from Lightroom.

So, if you can explain why you like it (over C1, which I seem to recall you used) and ACR, I'd be very grateful.

The final thing I like about ACR is the keyboard-driven aspect: you know how it is when you get back home from a three-day shoot and you have ~1,500 images to process—mousing just doesn't cut it.

Cheers, Kit

Guy Mancuso

Well the nice thing is there exactly the same raw processing engine so it is just like ACR only in a nicer package. The image management is really nice (library) . I have one drive that all images go into for LR and work from there and process to the desktop. Also for me the library function you can just edit much quicker and such . Plus it has a slide show which is pretty handy. It's worth downloading the demo. Jack is a huge ACR guy and he is moving over to it also lately. Just makes it easier on the big shoots for me and still keyboard driven.