The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tele Elmarit 180/2,8 on Nikon?

leif e

I know there are adaptors around for changing the mount of a Leica R lens to Nikon. And; I understand the job is not to difficult.

What I don´t know is what lenses can be used and why (or not) - does this have anything to do with 2-cam or 3-cam?:eek: The only cams I remember are those in car engines.:D

I´m sniffing a tempting 2,8/180 tele-elmarit.

Anyone?

leif e

2 cams or 3 cams does not make any difference in terms of compatibility.
Only few Leica lenses cannot be used in Nikon FF DSRL bodies, mostly because they protrude too much and interfere with the mirror.
As far as I know the Tele-Elmarit you have in mind is fully compatible.
In the web site of Leitax you can find more details and instructions on how to do it.
I'm happy user of half a dozen of Leica lenses on a Nikon D 700.
Cheers,
Ario

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Leif You are speaking of the 180/2.8 Elmarit? The latest version the APO model is the best all around telephoto I have used. I use one with my DMR. The version before that the 180/2.8 Elmarit ..67mm ..I converted used the Leitax mount for my Nikon bodies. I find it a superb lens. Very sharp ...easily outperforms the Nikon 70-200/2.8 . Focus mount is fast and you can focus close. Its a small lightweight lens with excellent performance...and it pretty inexpensive. I tried to see my perfect copy that I bought new for $375 and finally decided to convert it to the Nikon mount. The version before the 67mm was quite large and really heavy. I had one ....an impressive piece of glass...but not really all that useful due to its size.