The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 85mm

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Kurt , guess i will just have to keep the color fringer action close by. LOL

I am noticing about a stop loss in DR compared to the M8. But I have yet to try the 3d menu option. I think that is what it is called. Noticing in LR I have to pull the fill up a little more to open it up. Not a bad thing and it does see pretty well in the shadows. Just need to figure this thing out a little more. I'm tempted to get the D3 by all counts but these rumors of FF D300 and the new Sony 24mpx chip going into a D3 giving me cause for pause.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Guy, it's quite a jump in dollars between the D300 and D3. I'm very happy I made the upgrade, though. My opinion is that the resulting image quality with the D3 has more juice ... I know that that is completely subjective and hard to quantify, but I simply feel more comfortable in the way that the images look.

It'll be really interesting to see what Nikon does next. If they want to keep their boot to the throat of Canon, they're going to want to work on getting either of the options you mentioned in the marketplace as soon as they can. It would steal some of the limelight from any new versions of the 5d that may be introduced. With the 5d, 1d and 1ds series of cameras, Canon always seems to hold back on options so that you feel like you are never certain which model is going to work best for you ... while Nikon's latest moves seem to be "all in". I like the attitude Nikon is demonstrating.

Kurt

Guy Mancuso

I understand the juice phrase very well and know exactly of what you are saying. The big issue is going back to that size of camera. Man it is big but I feel the files will be better. For now I will just hang on and see what happens but I do like this D300 and i agree feature wise not much different and i like the all in concept very much. Does not feel like I am getting screwed.

The nice thing is i can give my M8's a break for a change on some of my work.

gromitspapa

One thing I can say about the D300 vs the D3 is the D300 has dust removal. Also, it seems the D3 is prone to attracting dust for some reason. FYI. Also, there's a touch more DR in 14-bit mode. You lose the 6 fps for it and the difference is subtle at best.

Guy Mancuso

I'm setup for 14 bit , I really don't need that fast of a camera so I will take as much as the camera can give me.

rayyan

Any fast nikon or canon against high and bright contrast and shot at maximum aperture will show ca.

the 85/1.4 is no exception.