Site Sponsors

Thread: Nikon 85mm

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon 85mm

Wide open for this one. No sharpening in open shade. Focused on our right eye not his.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Nikon 85mm

At 2.5
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now the 105mm at F3

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I see something bad though check this out the refrig. was stainless steel and reflecting a lot of light look around his hat . Shot 85mm at 1.4

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've seen that kind of chromatic aberration with my 12-24 too. Did you try fixing it in lightroom or PS?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not fixing up real easy Tim.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

honestly, would any lens be able to avoid some purple fringing under conditions like that at f1.4 ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is true and i actually think it is more sensor bloom than anything else and pretty sure that is what it is. Purple usually is sensor bloom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sensor bloom? That's a new term for me. Whichever it is, I agree that it's hard to fix.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shay Stephens has a nice little gimp program to attempt to deal with this type of sensor blooming. it is called Color Fringe Reducer 5. $10 so no big investment.

Get it here.............http://www.shaystephens.com/ca-gimp.php

Woody Spedden

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Damn I have that one . i will try it

Here much better

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Look at this 105 macro shot of Drake shot at F3 . I did use my sharpening on it which it really did not need. I have to say this is huge surprise for a 750 dollar lens. this lens screams sharpness and has nice bokeh too

Post Thanks / Like

Guy Are you finding the Nikon s down a notch in contrast and color saturation from the Leicas. I played around with my first few hundred images and built a preset for lightroom..not sophisticated but using clarity,luminousity,strong contrast and a sharpening preset. This makes a big difference and to my eye ...they are more like the M8 images. Again this isn t my area but I thought my D3 images looked flat out of the box. Sharpness is all that I could want .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They have some punch but not as much as the Leica's per say . The D300 without testing seems a little less DR by about a stop and that maybe too much. I am going to do some comparisions with the 2 bodies for this purpose alone. They are different but I do like what I see. The D3 maybe the DR stretch that it has over the D300 which gives it a flatter look . But with the new tools in the raw processor's we can make up for a lot

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Call me crazy but David bought my Nikon 85 and i am going to try the Zeiss even though i have been warned on the focusing with the D300.

I'm looking to get more like the Leica 80 lux or Leica 75 lux. i have a very sharp 105mm so looking for the glow

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Try it before you buy it ... anyone in your neighbourhood with a ZF 1.4/85mm ?
    If only I lived in the US you could borrow mine, but Denmark is a tad peripheral

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I tried the 50 and liked it but I can sell it if does not work. Maybe a crazy move i know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Not fixing up real easy Tim.
    Get a Leica!

PS: Or MF??

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

LOL I got a 85mm Zeiss but it maybe the same. Not sure it really is the lens though at full fault

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, I noticed a touch of the blooming also at wide open apertures with the 85 and the 28. It just may be the trade off Nikon has made with these new sensors. With higher ISO levels, most users are probably happy sticking a f2.8 zoom on the camera and will never worry about a little purple that creeps in at fast speeds in very bright conditions.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Kurt , guess i will just have to keep the color fringer action close by. LOL

I am noticing about a stop loss in DR compared to the M8. But I have yet to try the 3d menu option. I think that is what it is called. Noticing in LR I have to pull the fill up a little more to open it up. Not a bad thing and it does see pretty well in the shadows. Just need to figure this thing out a little more. I'm tempted to get the D3 by all counts but these rumors of FF D300 and the new Sony 24mpx chip going into a D3 giving me cause for pause.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, it's quite a jump in dollars between the D300 and D3. I'm very happy I made the upgrade, though. My opinion is that the resulting image quality with the D3 has more juice ... I know that that is completely subjective and hard to quantify, but I simply feel more comfortable in the way that the images look.

It'll be really interesting to see what Nikon does next. If they want to keep their boot to the throat of Canon, they're going to want to work on getting either of the options you mentioned in the marketplace as soon as they can. It would steal some of the limelight from any new versions of the 5d that may be introduced. With the 5d, 1d and 1ds series of cameras, Canon always seems to hold back on options so that you feel like you are never certain which model is going to work best for you ... while Nikon's latest moves seem to be "all in". I like the attitude Nikon is demonstrating.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I understand the juice phrase very well and know exactly of what you are saying. The big issue is going back to that size of camera. Man it is big but I feel the files will be better. For now I will just hang on and see what happens but I do like this D300 and i agree feature wise not much different and i like the all in concept very much. Does not feel like I am getting screwed.

The nice thing is i can give my M8's a break for a change on some of my work.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I can say about the D300 vs the D3 is the D300 has dust removal. Also, it seems the D3 is prone to attracting dust for some reason. FYI. Also, there's a touch more DR in 14-bit mode. You lose the 6 fps for it and the difference is subtle at best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm setup for 14 bit , I really don't need that fast of a camera so I will take as much as the camera can give me.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Any fast nikon or canon against high and bright contrast and shot at maximum aperture will show ca.

the 85/1.4 is no exception.