Site Sponsors

Thread: Do I need a Telephoto Lens

Froggy

Do I need a Telephoto Lens

I want close ups!

Have been missing out on some good shots recently and would like to know what Telephoto Lens you chaps could give adivice and would recommend ?

I have a Macro lens, so am sorted from that end, just want to go to the other extreme. I have a D200.

So any info would be gratefully accepted.

Kr

Michele

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Do I need a Telephoto Lens

It depends on how long you want it and how close you want to get. One lens that goes far as well as close, is the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro. It focuses relatively fast for a macro lens, is very sharp, and is very much "two lenses in one", tele as well as macro (yes, I know you already have a macro, but this is different ). It also works well with TCs.

If by close, you only mean a long focal length, I can warmly recommend the Nikkor 300mm f/4. I picked up an old one (non AF-S) today, and it's very sharp, with lots of contrast and colour. It doesn't focus very close though, but it works very well with a 1.4x TC. See my samples on the "Even more fun pictures with Nikon" thread.

If you want a zoom, the Nikkor 70-300mm AF-S is excellent, and relatively light and small.

Froggy

Thanks for the Info Jorgen.

My Father has the 20-300mm, I was thinking of going to the 400mm telephoto, any info on that lenght.

Sorry to ask too many questions

Kind regards

Michele

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 300mm with a 1.4x TC is one of the best ways to get to that length on a Nikon. Without a TC (and probably even with), you'll find that the 300mm is much sharper than a 20-300mm @ 300mm.

If you want a zoom covering that length, the Sigma 150-500mm OS is a good alternative (it's rather big and heavy though). The Nikkor 80-400mm VR is good to, but more expensive and with slower AF.

Post Thanks / Like

man-up and get a 200-400

Froggy

Can't Man Up, I'm a 5ft 2in female

Post Thanks / Like

oppsss.....

you can still get a 200-400, they are kinda of cute and black goes with anything. i use mine a ton, it is such a great lens.

Foggylink

I found a mint 500 f/4P a little over a year ago. For still life or slow moving subjects it is remarkable. On the D200 it is a 750mm. You WILL need a very sturdy tripod.
    Last edited by Foggylink; 6th February 2010 at 09:28.

Froggy

Well if you hear of ones of these cute 200-400mm lenes going for a song let me know.

Kr

Michele

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    Well if you hear of ones of these cute 200-400mm lenes going for a song let me know.

Kr

Michele
    Nah... you don't want to buy it to cheaply. With the weight of that lens, you don't want to be burdened with the task of carrying around a lot of money anyway

Post Thanks / Like

yep, money is WAY overrated.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Get an AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II. I had the older one and it worked well on my D300. I got rid of it when I sold the camera. It's light, small, and has a very useful range. Not "extreme", but handy. As Fultonpics noted, the 200-400mm is a great lens (just look at his pics in the 200-400 thread). But maybe overkill for a D200. Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

WestCoast

Donít overlook the Tamron 18-250 highly acclaimed all-around lens that should meet most of your needs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by m_driscoll View Post
    As Fultonpics noted, the 200-400mm is a great lens (just look at his pics in the 200-400 thread). But maybe overkill for a D200. Cheers.
    Matt, when it comes to lenses, there is no such thing as overkill
    I saw a guy once with a D40 and a 200mm f/2.0. When i asked him why, he showed me some of his photos. I had no more questions after that.

One more vote for the 300mm f/4.0. I've used mine for a week now, and WOW... Get a used one, an old one (like I did), attach it to a TC (which I also did). It's sharp all the way, regardless of aperture and regardless of focal length, as long as you down go above or below 300mm