Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nikon D300/M8 test

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon D300/M8 test

Well i ran out very early this morning to just see how things look. This first off is a casual test. All I am really trying to do is see how the D300 looks to the gold standard of the M8. I love my M8's and I still it and the DMR are still the best image makers out there but I need to know if I can get by with this D300 for certain things. So for me it is not about sharpness and such but more about how I can process the D300 to match more like the M8. Now we can speculate along the way that is only natural and compare. But color is important and saturation and DR so that is really what I want to look at. I have yet to look at these files so we will go and see what they look like to each oyher . This is very early light so right off the bat things will look warm. The only thing I will adjust for now is exposure. I shot three camera's one M8 with a 28 cron and another with a 75 cron both extremely good and new designs from Leica. Great lenses . Than i shot the D300 with the 17-35 and first off this is a great lens but I think there new 14-24 and 24-70 may compare better with there new Nano crystal coatings but so be it this is what I have and it is a classic lens from Nikon really now slouch whatsoever.

Than I used the New Zeiss ZF 85mm 1.4 and the New Zeiss 50mm ZF 1.4 both very nicely built lenses the 50mm is a bit easier to focus but i did okay with the 85 buying a new screen today from Katz Eye. Than I shot the 24mm shift which deserves it's on thread. This sucker rocks my boat big time already . Also I shot all camera's on AWB and A mode so meter's will be slightly different and will only adjust for that D300 ISO 200 ,M8 ISO 160. These are there recommended ISO's from each company so that is what we will go with.

I shot the next two images at 5.6 i did not play around to much with wide open stuff , although there are some. i just want to see what is going on and how different they maybe. Honestly they both look good but I have some concerns on the Nikon and blocking up.

Okay Leica first 28 cron
    Nikon with 17-35 at the almost same framing.

BTW no one that I know have has done this , so if you want to link to other forums fine with me these are test images and not worried about it
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Nikon D300/M8 test

First off on casual looking the Nikon as more saturation out of the gate and this part can be a concern to me . It could be a touch too much and also it maybe the difference in DR. This may take some time and I have a funeral to go to but just hang in there and check back later also. I shot a fair amount of images and shot a bunch of Nikon only too
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Same setup Leica than Nikon

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica 75 cron than the Zeiss 85 both at 5.6 I moved so not precise the framing

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I moved too much. Have better

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

75 cron and Zeiss 85 at 5.6 . But I did miss on the Zeiss with focus slightly. Tough lens to focus , need a better screen and i can manual focus better than most

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Guy
    HOW FUN .....PURRfect / an M8 - D300 Showdown / Get out Your Pistols
    Overall I much prefer the ground, dirt. & shadow tonalities with the M8
    In the 'Saguaro Ridge ' series IMHO the Leica blows away the D300 in terms of detail & color shading in the backdrop of the mountainside
    The 'Parking In Rear' set They both look GREAT....But which Plastic Tent is more TRUE to color ?

the D300 looks like it does a Fantastic Job however the Leica seems to have more subtlety in range of tones & shadows /BUT Is the additional $3000.00
    worth it in Subtlety having the Leica
    or a tweak here & there in PP & the D300 is Magic ?
    Do I have a red dot on my Forehead ?
    All the Best, helen
    Last edited by helenhill; 29th March 2008 at 09:27.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now at F2 for both Leica 75 and zeiss 85

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Typical warmer Leica and cooler Nikon

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Weird the AF point was not on target but I like it anyway. 85 at f2

Post Thanks / Like

Guy This is similar to what I see using the D3 and the M8. I could use some help on the correct terminology.... but the thing that creates the pop for me is the "tone separation" . If you look at the beige fabric in the tent shots...you can see it easily . Now maybe this is dynamic range (since those are highlights) but I think you would see the same thing in a mid tone . I see it in reds and blues on the major league uniforms. Saturation....in the initial pair I think the saturation difference you mentioned is really in the exposure. With a D3 image I generally have to add luminousity,saturation and contrast to get the D3 file to look like the M8 file. Now that said once its been worked ...the only real difference I can see is in the tone separation. Nice post .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well the tones will get affected by the DR and as you can see there is a DR difference . I have more so we will keep looking at this but I think what you are describing and what we are seeing is some crunching for lack of a better word in the Nikon tones. Like 400 millions of colors compared to 200 million colors. Something we need to figure out but good observation. There is also a kelvin difference too. What I will do later is start correcting to match the M8 than we can pick up what we will need. That should give us a good clue but really not bad so far. The Nikon looks pretty good

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    Hi Guy
    HOW FUN .....PURRfect / an M8 - D300 Showdown / Get out Your Pistols
    Overall I much prefer the ground, dirt. & shadow tonalities with the M8
    In the 'Saguaro Ridge ' series IMHO the Leica blows away the D300 in terms of detail & color shading in the backdrop of the mountainside
    The 'Parking In Rear' set They both look GREAT....But which Plastic Tent is more TRUE to color ?

the D300 looks like it does a Fantastic Job however the Leica seems to have more subtlety in range of tones & shadows /BUT Is the additional $3000.00
    worth it in Subtlety having the Leica
    or a tweak here & there in PP & the D300 is Magic ?
    Do I have a red dot on my Forehead ?
    All the Best, helen
    Actually very good points Helen, they really are and as a buyer of gear you sit and wonder exactly what you said. Can i fix this to match that and such and is it worth it. Great question, i think no question the M8 is better but can we get close is the real key. That is something hopefully we will figure out. More coming just stuff going on around here today. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just a quicky until I get back , here is the 24 shift wide open but I threw the shift out on purpose for the effect. Pretty cool

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Excellent test, Guy.

Roger, can you explain how you are adjusting for luminosity. I'm looking for just a smidge more clarity in my Nikon files. If I can get it, I'll be very pleased.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, first of all thank you for putting this out for all of us to see - I shall do the same, M8 vs D300 vs D3 with some Istanbulian background rather than cactuses though

One note for everyone to keep in mind when talking about details afar, sharpness, DR and the like.

D300: 12 MP on a 1.5x crop;
    M8: 10 MP on a 1.33x crop.

Much larger photosites on the M8, which means more DR & less noise (at least, in theory); slightly longer lens on the D300 which means less DOF, though compensated some by the smaller sensor.

Both this affects comparison when looking closely into the files.

As well, for colors, contrast and saturation, are this RAWs or JPGs and if RAWs (I think you always use RAW, if I am remembering this correctly) how did you process them? It would be interesting to see files opened in the same converter (Adobe) and with the exact same settings - otherwise, evidently RAW conversion has a huge part in what we are seeing here and influences in a big way the result when coming down to colors, saturation etc.

I know this is a quick & dirty test, just take my notes as an answer to those in the thread who are using these to establish a definite difference between the cameras

Thanks again Guy, very good stuff and very informative as always!
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What I see here as with my own files is that the Leica images have more micro-contrast and micro-detail with smoother tonality gradations. The Nikon tends to smear small details just a tad. Less than Canon, but more than Leica, who doesn't use an AA filter. The Zeiss ZF glass is good, but I think the Leica M glass is better, especially the 75 APO and 28 ASPH. Overall, both cameras are producing nice results.

Of course, these are at 900 pixel web-sized images. I think we need some big stuff to really see the devil in the details.

David

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, great test. I'm have some of the same questions as others.

Is the D300 set to Standard or Neutral color? I always keep my D3 at Neutral and bump change later if I want in NX. Standard is too punchy for me. Don't why I'd ever use Vivid, Fog maybe? Maybe some DR is lost in Standard vs what Neutral would bring out?

NX for the D300, C1 for the M8 or ACR/CS3 for both? We all know how much of a difference that makes.

Where/when/how is USM set?

Keep going ;-)

Neil

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Excellent test, Guy.

Roger, can you explain how you are adjusting for luminosity. I'm looking for just a smidge more clarity in my Nikon files. If I can get it, I'll be very pleased.

Kurt
    I use Lightroom and in the Presence area of the Develop Module I work with the three alternatives. Clarity ..which I understand works similar to the unsharp mask techniques in photoshop. This increases the contrast in the midtones. Then I use luminousity which increases the intensity of most of the colors but doesn t seem to affect skin tones much. To see both effects I look at say a face at 100%. If you use too much clarity you create tone separation that looks artificial. Too much luminousity and the colors start to block up. You can adjust luminousity by color farther down in the window. This is purely a trial and error process for me. The insight it gives me on the images is that the Leica images are pretty strong without adjustment and its easy to over do it. The Nikon images are lower contrast,less saturated and IMHO dull without working the Presence sliders. With that said ...they can look great when they are adjusted. I am sure I am off ..but I just built a import profile for Nikon Baseball and I have an pretty good starting point. If you don t use Lightroom you should try it...I find the eyedropper for both tone and luminosity particularly useful for adjusting and image. Want the Red more brilliant...point click and pull up luminousity..it exactly matches the colors in the uniform...pulling up both RED and ORANGE. I do believe I can do better by using the nikon software but thats more time .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey Guy

Thanks for doing the work for all of us. Great stuff.

I think the saturation issues are a function of the raw processing. I am working on presets for both my D300 and the D3 and will post results once I am happy.

I find all of the 85 shots slightly out of focus which is what I believe is affecting the appearance of the mountains in the background. As can be seen from the M8 with the 75 cron there should be loads of detail at 5.6. I am not sure of the zeiss 85 1.4. It gets either rave reviews or mediocre reviews depending on who is using it and how well they can focus. Wish you were closer by and I could loan you my extremely good copy of the 70-200 and do that comparison with the 75 Cron which of course is one of leica's sharpest.

All in all i think the nikons are capable of really great files and as all of us learn to use them better will add significantly to the arsenal of tools we have.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

for the second set of images, are you sure they're in the right order? To my (admittedly relatively untrained) eye, the top image looks more saturated in the right part of the wall, and matches the bottom image of the first pair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post
    What I see here as with my own files is that the Leica images have more micro-contrast and micro-detail with smoother tonality gradations. The Nikon tends to smear small details just a tad. Less than Canon, but more than Leica, who doesn't use an AA filter. The Zeiss ZF glass is good, but I think the Leica M glass is better, especially the 75 APO and 28 ASPH. Overall, both cameras are producing nice results.

Of course, these are at 900 pixel web-sized images. I think we need some big stuff to really see the devil in the details.

David
    Well said David. We also need to realize the DR is more on the M8 . So those shadows and mid tones are flatter looking because it is opened up more. The Nikon files look more saturated because of this. Now if I went in to open that up in LR it would look the same BUT i am now starting at a different point to open up so there still will be less elbow room at the top side. But this is okay because the Nikon is not blowing the highlights which are harder to control. If the DR is less in the shadows and mid tones than we have a chance to open it . Yes I am doing all of this in LR and at whatever default Adobe setup for each companies files . No we are doing more quick and dirty here and I am NOT correcting anything except to match each other on exposure. Nothing will be perfect here, something will be off so we need to remember that and not judge to hard yet. When we start correcting things than the slight differences will be more known. Hell we are just getting our feet wet here. i can smell a LONG thread coming. LOL

No DMR bible and that just takes too much time but i would like to see how far we can stretch these Nikon files. Okay let's get busy more stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    for the second set of images, are you sure they're in the right order? To my (admittedly relatively untrained) eye, the top image looks more saturated in the right part of the wall, and matches the bottom image of the first pair.
    Yes Leica first Nikon second . We need to remember different meters and AWB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One note on the Nikon watch the greens as we go. They tend to look a little unnatural , lets see as we go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by neils View Post
    Guy, great test. I'm have some of the same questions as others.

Is the D300 set to Standard or Neutral color? I always keep my D3 at Neutral and bump change later if I want in NX. Standard is too punchy for me. Don't why I'd ever use Vivid, Fog maybe? Maybe some DR is lost in Standard vs what Neutral would bring out?

NX for the D300, C1 for the M8 or ACR/CS3 for both? We all know how much of a difference that makes.

Where/when/how is USM set?

Keep going ;-)

Neil

Should not make a difference since i am shooting Raw and using LR which will not pick up Nikons tags . It is set to neutral though and I am shooting 14bit

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    One note on the Nikon watch the greens as we go. They tend to look a little unnatural , lets see as we go.
    I totally agree Guy re: Green
    that is the main reason I'm not into Digital Nikons
    is the greens & yellows.....rather abit unsophisticated/ 'Disney PoP' ish in hue
    but I will certainly admit the D300 has its CHARMS
    All the Best- helen

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon really got warm here , AWB again so they read it different. That is focus point 75 cron and 85 Zeiss . This was at F2 Zeiss looks a touch off here but next images the Cron is off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon only at F4 85mm Zeiss. The greens look good here. This normal color with yellow green

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon only again . I shot the Leica at the wrong aperture. Shot at F4 for the Nikon and this looks very nice folks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay back to the 28 cron at 5.6 than the 17-35 at same focal length . Here I am NOT moving

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

See the DR difference. Look at the plant bottom left corner and tree on left

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sidestep here . I corrected the Nikon to match , very easy just brought up the fill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That was a subtle fill move but I still have plenty of room to go but as I see it the M8 has more DR by about a stop. Sharpness wise very close but it is hard to beat a 28 cron. If you noticed i don't mess around with lenses on the Leica side of the house there the best you can buy but that 17-35 is no freaking slouch at all. Most folks would not even see the difference but you folks like me are picky picky about your glass. as you should be

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay same setup with the wides but a little tougher light coming from the side. I shot this from the car. Okay I got lazy . LOL

Leica than Nikon at 5.6

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is a great series Guy. I think it's making really good points for both systems.

The one thing that shows up well from the pairing before last is that Nikon seems to handle the highlights better than the Leica, and the Leica seems to handle the low and mid tones better. This might just be my immaturity with the M8, but I tend to make different exposure decisions because of the way it's a tad brittle in the highs, but since you can push the low end around a lot more, it's no big deal.

(not sure that makes sense, but thanks for these great comparisons)
    Last edited by TRSmith; 29th March 2008 at 14:51. Reason: dang, he corrected the shadows before I could finish the note!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Both handled it very well. At this point if you really want to match the M8 than i say take a point or two down in saturation

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    This is a great series Guy. I think it's making really good points for both systems.

The one thing that shows up well from the last pairing is that Nikon seems to handle the highlights better than the Leica, and the Leica seems to handle the low and mid tones better. This might just be my immaturity with the M8, but I tend to make different exposure decisions because of the way it's a tad brittle in the highs, but since you can push the low end around a lot more, it's no big deal.

(not sure that makes sense, but thanks for these great comparisons)
    Exactly Tim and with the extra DR it maybe carrying into the highlights some also . BUT there is that recovery slider which i have yet to use yet. That will bring the highlights down in a hurry also. What we have now is some really good raw processors that even the score too. C1, Apertur , NX and LR all have these controls now. This is a huge plus for us users

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim classic example of what i just said. Here is the Nikon file worked . I used the fill , recovery and black point than the blue luminance control I brought the blue in more. Great trick here. Now a completely different look to it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You folks are getting some workshop lessons here. LOL

Frankly I live to share this stuff. I just love what I do sometimes for a career

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

At this point (pardon me ladies for saying this but I would not throw either one out of my bed), there both doing very well and the Nikon is doing more than I thought it could

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I also think the Nikon has more yellow to it's files. See the tree difference the Leica matches it better in real world

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well looks like I ran out of images for the Leica. I will back and check but pretty good so far

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just some key points

DR less about a stop in the Nikon
    Yellow likes Nikon or should i say heavy weight on yellow.
    Nikon looks a bit too saturated.

Overall pretty good though and more testing and working of files is needed but I hope and think this thread helps understand what Nikon is doing here. Also you can see what the leica does against it. Very hard to test these two head to head we all know that so camera religion should play no part. I would have to get really serious in putting this up against each other in real testing mode which i have done before but it takes awhile. There are a lot of variables and everything needs special attention to get things to neutral. And some facts we just can't change.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Nikon especially likes yellow in low light. At least my D70 tended that way.

I think where the Nikon is devastatingly good is the AF and "getting the shot." When I was looking at D300 vs. K20d vs. E3, the Nikon was just ridiculously quick and accurate.

Your shots show the difference in the final product, but seems that in digital land you can "fix it in post" and get 99.9% of the way there. So then doesn't it somewhat reduce the "camera" part of the equation to framing and composition? I know that is an extreme simplification, but if the technical end of the cameras are all coalescing towards some objective (?) "ideal" (much like car bodies all look alike today chasing drag coefficients), does it then become an exercise in using the camera to compose and then pp to really generate the image? I know that the darkroom has always been the place that it "lives" but seems that digital has shifted (or made possible the shift) heavily toward pp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

guy

Again I say many thanks for these efforts. Having a pro like you do the testing assures that all of us gain from your knowledge and experiences.

It would appear to me that one could go with either system and be happy or to mix and match to take advantage of the Leica lenses where appropriate and the Nikon versatility for AF, macro, and long lenses as well as high iso and focus tracking if you are into sports, kids etc.

Many thanks

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
    I think Nikon especially likes yellow in low light. At least my D70 tended that way.

I think where the Nikon is devastatingly good is the AF and "getting the shot." When I was looking at D300 vs. K20d vs. E3, the Nikon was just ridiculously quick and accurate.

Your shots show the difference in the final product, but seems that in digital land you can "fix it in post" and get 99.9% of the way there. So then doesn't it somewhat reduce the "camera" part of the equation to framing and composition? I know that is an extreme simplification, but if the technical end of the cameras are all coalescing towards some objective (?) "ideal" (much like car bodies all look alike today chasing drag coefficients), does it then become an exercise in using the camera to compose and then pp to really generate the image? I know that the darkroom has always been the place that it "lives" but seems that digital has shifted (or made possible the shift) heavily toward pp.
    To a great extent you can say that most folks do not mind working it somewhat. The Nikon files are not that far off from reality that it becomes a problem for someone that goes fast and has lot's of images either. So with some general understandings of what you are getting and being able to correct on the fly is pretty good. Right off the bat we know the DR is smaller so adding fill and opening up the low end to get back a little is fairly easy. Correcting the yellow is something of a tone curve to apply . So as much as i would rather not work it too much because of time it still is very good. Honestly also the reality is if not comparing against something else one may not realize what is wrong or right too.

Again good raw processing and good color management will always play important parts in our digital life now. That is not a bad thing but more a control that you have to understand and do. i see that as a good thing for folks to learn. It's all about the process of shooting and learning to be good at it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    guy

Again I say many thanks for these efforts. Having a pro like you do the testing assures that all of us gain from your knowledge and experiences.

It would appear to me that one could go with either system and be happy or to mix and match to take advantage of the Leica lenses where appropriate and the Nikon versatility for AF, macro, and long lenses as well as high iso and focus tracking if you are into sports, kids etc.

Many thanks

Woody
    I agree Woody folks do get religious about there gear. We are finally at a point in digital that it is more about what you want to shoot instead of have too. For me mixing up the systems is a good thing but if someone went only Nikon or Leica there not losing much either way. I love my M8's but there are limits with it. But the same token i love shooting RF too and the Leica files are awesome. Now it is said the D3 is even better i will take that advice from folks and assume it would even be closer . Tis is all good for us the end user. We are starting to get better and different choices.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy I am particularly interested in Woody s point about mixing and matching. A common comment when people review collections in my portfolio..is the need to have consistency in renderings. Like a wedding album shot with some MF and some M8 ..the different look can throw things off. The DMR and the M8 blend very well ...the look,color etc seems similar. As a pro using now the Nikon and the M8 is this a consideration.....or as you get the files where they look good are they really not that different? And of course thanks for doing this test..its very helpful as I use both systems.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good stuff here. I think all of us should be glad that Guy picked up the D300... nobody does these kinds of tests better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    Guy I am particularly interested in Woody s point about mixing and matching. A common comment when people review collections in my portfolio..is the need to have consistency in renderings. Like a wedding album shot with some MF and some M8 ..the different look can throw things off. The DMR and the M8 blend very well ...the look,color etc seems similar. As a pro using now the Nikon and the M8 is this a consideration.....or as you get the files where they look good are they really not that different? And of course thanks for doing this test..its very helpful as I use both systems.

It is a concern to a degree to try and match each other . Actually right at the moment i think we can do that with just working the low and mid tones. The yellow bugs me a little but we really have yet to WB anything either plus we are dealing with very warm light but your point is well taken for a wedding shooter too. Can't have a white than a yellow image following it . So we are going to have to figure this out a little. Now most of us know today the M8 with LR it is a touch red so we do have a fix for that lower the red saturation and raise the red luminance we can certainly do this in the yellow and maybe a good try at it. Than we have other convertors as well that have different profiles for the Nikon. NX, C1 and Aperture could also render the colors different. The best thing we could do right now is figure that out by shooting a Macbeth Color chart for the Leica and the Nikon than see how they look in the different processors. I recommend this as a good starting point to see what direction the Nikon files are taken in each convertor. i like LR but obviously some other program can render better.

Roger this maybe a good thing for you is shooting a color chart and trying this with your system. I might have to try this tomorrow

Right now i think we all could say good on Nikon , now we need to control it.
    We have lot's of choices to do this