The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 100mm

deepdiver

wow..! the new 60 Af-s Macro!!
I own the old one. I only use this lens for my underwater photography. The new one is really sweet :)
Btw, here is another quick shot from ZF100/2 at F2
I love the bokeh from this lens ^^

woodyspedden

Hey all my favorite experts out there. I just received my ZF 100 Makro and 35 2.0 and have an issue I don't undrstand. In the top display of either the D300 or D3 instead of showing aperture it shows a delta F which ranges from 0 to 7! I have no idea how I got in to such a mode but I would far prefer to see aperture. Also the bodies do not want to let me use shutter priority mode with these lenses............anyone know what is going on?

Woody

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Hi Woody,

All you need to do is go to the menu with the wrench (the one where you can fine tune AF). In that menu, you'll see a line labeled "Non CPU Lens Data". There you can enter data for a variety of lenses. It'll take just a minute to enter in the f-stop and focal length of each of the lenses you want to enter.

Kurt

woodyspedden

Hi Woody,

All you need to do is go to the menu with the wrench (the one where you can fine tune AF). In that menu, you'll see a line labeled "Non CPU Lens Data". There you can enter data for a variety of lenses. It'll take just a minute to enter in the f-stop and focal length of each of the lenses you want to enter.

Kurt
thanks Kurt

I just went to the Zeiss site and under the FAQ section there it was. So now everything working well.

Man the focus ring on the 100 is really stiff. Does it loosen up with use? It is actually not much of a problem when you are near the proper focus point but when you have to go from on end to the other your wrist will ache!

Thanks again

Woody

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Woody, it is stiff. In fact my zf50/2 arrived today and it is much less stiff. It'll probably take a little time to break it in. But, as the zf100 is fast becoming my favorite lens on the D3 maybe that'll happen sooner than later.

Let me know what you think of the 35/2 and I'll add some comments on the 50/2.

Kurt

PSon

I guess I was trying to guage how accurate the green light for confirmation is. If that is iffy it would be a bit of a bummer to try and rely on it.
At the instant moment of releasing the shutter one (photographer/subject) has slightly moved. Also depending on the quality and size of the CCD chip. For example, the focus confirmation on the Hy6 is unbeatable due to the quality and size of the chip. The Contax 645 focus confirmation is also good but the Hy6 is better. The accuracy of focusing confirmation on the 35 mm system will not be able to match the medium format system.

-Son

LCT

...All you need to do is go to the menu with the wrench (the one where you can fine tune AF). In that menu, you'll see a line labeled "Non CPU Lens Data". There you can enter data for a variety of lenses. It'll take just a minute to enter in the f-stop and focal length of each of the lenses you want to enter...
So you have to go to the menu each time you mount a different MF lens i guess, true ?

harmsr

Workshop Member
LCT,

The answer to that is yes and no.

You can go into the wrench menu, select Non-CPU Lens, change the lens # (you have already pre-programmed the FL & F stop for each lens), then press OK.

In my case since I switch between MF Non-CPU lenses a lot. I have assigned the front FUNC button and the rear wheel to change those lenses for me. I press the FUNC button and the currently selected MF Non-CPU lens appears in the top display panel. If I want a different one, I just spin the rear wheel to which ever selection that I have already programmed in for these lenses (while holding the FUNC button down) and I'm done.

Best,

Ray

harmsr

Workshop Member
Kurt,

I hope you are feeling REALLY guilty and ashamed today!!!!!!!!!

I should have a ZF/100 in my hands on Friday to compare it with the Nikon 105VR this weekend. Maybe the Nikon will be up for sale next week?

Best,

Ray

LCT

...In my case since I switch between MF Non-CPU lenses a lot. I have assigned the front FUNC button and the rear wheel to change those lenses for me. I press the FUNC button and the currently selected MF Non-CPU lens appears in the top display panel. If I want a different one, I just spin the rear wheel to which ever selection that I have already programmed in for these lenses (while holding the FUNC button down) and I'm done...
No need to chimp then, sounds great to me, thks Ray.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Ray, I'm always glad to do my part to help others spend their money. It helps in lessening the guilt I have for spending too much of my own. I pursued the D3 to get away from manual focus ... now I find myself with two more manual focus lenses ... the zf50 and zf100. LOL

Here's a simple prediction. The Nikon 105VR will be in the Buy&Sell section before the weekend is finished. It's that strong of a lens.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Wow because the 105 Nikon is really sharp. Ray like to see that lens against my Zeiss 85 1.4. Hmmm maybe I better not . LOL

Guy Mancuso

You . I'm in a permanent state of dizzy.

Okay here is why
This is logical , yea right.

Special purpose photo shoots 24mm shift and 60 macro. D3

Event stuff 17-35mm and 85mm 1.4 . D300

Shows( runway and such) 180mm. D3 or D300 depends on distance and light.

Advertising real work 28,50,85 Zeiss. D3

Now if I need wide i turn to the M8 with 21mm and 12mm

This is just for commercial work . Workshops personal, travel and all that M8 system.

Not to say a 14-24 or 24-70 would not be nice to have but I am trying to avoid big again plus I believe and still do Primes will will be better than zooms. But I am open to be wrong on that and the new Nikon zooms may prove that theory wrong.

gogopix

Subscriber
Soi, guy, with all these sales dollars piling up, when (and WHAT?) happens when MF changes in your mind from 'manual focus to 'med......."

Oh, I can't even say it!:confused:

Guy Mancuso

MF is still on my radar button, no question. If i could have gone M8 and MF like Jack only and skip the Nikons i would but I do to much commercial work that the Nikons are to hard to avoid. I can't wait for the R10 that is January until they hit the streets and how much for cost of entry is a big question. But if it turns out to be a winner than I will sell the Nikon gear and get the R10. I love Leica gear but you ned to work too and pulling the DMR before the R10 was ready was bad for me and many others . I understand why but too big a gap in time