Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Zeiss 100mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Zeiss 100mm

Here are a few sample shots with the ZF100mm that arrived in the mail today and the D3.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Zeiss 100mm

Next one.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very nice Kurt. The D3 files look very nice too. Nice and smooth
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very, very nice. I like this combination a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So do I. Looks very Leica
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How much is a D3 again? (jk) Nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pst ... Ray .-)
    Last edited by Steen; 30th March 2008 at 00:49.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The zf100 is a very, very nice lens. It handles and produces images that somewhat remind me of the summicrons I've used. It gives me that extra bit of clarity and separation I've been looking for in a lens for the D3 ... bringing out the best in the D3's fat pixels.

The problem is that I now want a 180mm version of this lens ... but there isn't one available. I will, however, pick up the zf50/2 that I hear is somewhat similar. I believe that it will be an excellent two lens manual focus combination for the D3 that fits the focal lengths I like to shoot best.

Manual focus at this focal length, f2, is nice because if it was f1.4, I find that I'd keep pushing to try to use the f1.4. Like a summicron, f2 on the zf100is very sharp and where I plan to use this lens most. Out of about 30-35 shots, I think that I missed focus twice when I tried to focus too fast. All of the MF time with the M8 has been a good thing. In addition, the focus confirmation for manual focus is a great feature.

I'll add a few more shots today.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kurt,
    These are gorgeous.

Is it a lot easier to manual focus the D3 than the D300? How does it compare to manually focusing the M8? (I know they are 2 really different systems.)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Follow on question:
    if you are getting focus confirmation, what exactly is a "miss"

Thanks,
    terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It still can miss Terry when working at 1.4 your chances are like 50/50 that your on . It is so small that slice of focus

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Cindy. I only had the D300 for about a week before I traded it in for a D3. As a result, I never had an opportunity to use manual focus on the D300.

Yesterday was the first I tried using manual focus on the D3. I originally wanted to use the D3 to take a break from manual focus and thought that I'd continue to use the M8 for deliberate manual focus situations. Now, I'm thinking that I'd have a blast just carrying around the D3 and a ZF50/2 and ZF100/2 for a majority of the things that I like to shoot. I'm very excited.

I found that manual focus with the ZF100 at f2 to be very easy on the D3. Some of it may be due to the focal length (being able to see clearly what you are focusing on). But, I've never had many issues with manual focus on the M8 either ... with the caveat of saying that I use the magnifier for lenses like the 75lux.

I believe that the D300 also has the focus confirmation indicator ... it's a great safety net. Most of the time I simply focus where I want to focus. And, if I have time, I then put the focus point over this area and look for the green dot. It's cumbersome the first several times ... but becomes easier after a few times.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It would be interesting to find out if there is any difference with the keeper rate of the ZF50 1.4 and 2.0 on the D300 and D3. That 1.5x makes the zone pretty thin.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    It still can miss Terry when working at 1.4 your chances are like 50/50 that your on . It is so small that slice of focus
    I guess I was trying to guage how accurate the green light for confirmation is. If that is iffy it would be a bit of a bummer to try and rely on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's pretty good and I need to work this more also to figure out how good . Ray said as soon as it hits green . But Terry i am not going to screw around much and order a Katz eye screen today . 150 dollars to give me a microprism is not that bad unless Jim at Brightscreen has one already. The 85mm Zeiss is tough and i have missed a few. I had a microprism in the DMR and it worked great. I look for any advantage when it comes to focusing with any system, my 51 year old eyes are at 200 with readers now.

BTW that third image is killing me , looks like my DMR and 180 F2 apo shot. **** this is going to cost me. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

You should note there is a lot of sample variation with the 100/zf re: focusing stiffness. I had one, and loved it. The images 'pop' into focus - very reminiscent of the 28/2,8 latest. However, I had to return it - the focus ring was intolerably stiff. The lens+adapter would rock back and forth in my 1Ds2 mount with the torque required to start focusing.

Talking to the retailer re: a replacement, they indicated they have received complaints of stiff focus on the 100 and couldn't ensure that I'd get a replacement that was any better as the few they had left from a recent shipment all felt 'stiff' to them. Bear in mind that while 'stiff' is a relative term, mine felt like it needed a CLA right out of the box. My 35/2 ZF is as smooth as silk.

With the shipping and VAT expenses buying into Canada from the US, I wasn't willing to start working that lottery, so I held off getting a replacement. As for buying local, it's laughable.

Like most of the ZF line, it does suffer from some CA on bokeh highlights, but nothing major. Also, the aperture ring sits in a narrow valley between the body and the start of the large barrel. It can make changing aperture a little cumbersome at first - especially with gloves.

My recc if you want one is to wait to buy until you can actually try a sample. Get a smooth one and it delivers great results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Noticing a little Ca with both the 50 and 85 Zf's not really bad but there sometimes. My 85 is a little stiff just need to break it in . Very nice lenses so far though on the D300 I do see a certain look with them. I just ordered the Katz screen also

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,
    How hard is it going to be to put the Katz screen in? I put one in a 20D and put a Brightscreen in my 5D, but I read that to put it in a D300 required "surgery". Will you please report on this once you put it in?

Post Thanks / Like

Kurt these are awesome! Just when I thought my kit was complete you had to post these.

Do you use a different focusing screen or a magnifier on your D3?

Thanks for sharing and making my bank acct. nervous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cindy, I think it may be me who have used that "surgery" expression, but I think Guy is right, after all it does'nt look that bad, though I wish it was something that could be more easily swapped in the field.
    Guy, have you heard from Jim Lakey if he is going to make a microprism only screen ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No nothing yet but Kit may have a idea on it. He has one for the D3 of course

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,
    Thanks for the link to the Katz Eye instructions. It doesn't look any harder than installing into the 20D which I did before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Really just popping the spring latch and putting it back seems the hardest part.

I know Terry is bringing her D300 to Carmel and if she wants I will install it for her. I am hoping to get mine before we go. I will report when i do this Cindy to give you any hints here on installing it.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Kurt that ZF 100 looks really impressive. Have you ever shot the Nikon 105 VR to compare? I have the Nikon, but you are tempting me and Bondo is taunting me.

Relative to focusing between the D3 and D300. The screen on the D3 is significantly better than the D300 for manual focus. It is much more like ground glass where the contrast really pops when you nailed the focus. The D3 also seems to have a MUCH narrower range of movement on the lens where the focus confirmation light is lit up. It also uses the arrows on each side of the dot for focus, similar to Leica's meter, where the D300 only has the dot.

The D300 seems easy to focus with the factory screen up to 50mm in focal length. The 85/1.4 ZF was a very hit or miss proposition for me on the D200 until I got the Brightscreen which improved it, but did not get it to 100%. On the D300, you have more range of movement on the focus ring of the lens where the camera tells you that it is in focus. I found that going from close distance to far when turning the focus ring and stopping IMMEDIATELY when the focus light JUST turns solid is the normally the best focus on the D300.

I have never thought about what impact the cropped sensor has on this, but am just relating my experiences with both the D300 & D3.

Best,

Ray

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Kurt,

I currently have that ZF 50/2.0 and love the lens. It is much more like a Cron than a Lux. The 50/1.4 reminds me of the 50 Pre-ASPH Lux. The 50/2.0 Macro reminds me of a 75 Cron ASPH in how it renders.

From what I see out of your photo samples with the 100 ZF, I agree that you would like the 50/2.0.

My problem is that I'm liking also liking the 100 ZF, and may have to try it out against my Nikon 105. The only thing is that my Nikon is pretty good and has the advantage of VR which is really nice.

Best,

Ray

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Kurt,

Here are a few quick snaps from the ZF 50/2.0 in my back yard. Sorry, they are not as nice as yours.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick image in the house. saturation in ps:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My ZF 100 and ZF 35 arrive Tuesday and I can't wait. If they are as good as some of the images I have seen I will undoubtedly get the 28 2.0 and the 50 2.0 Macro completing my prime kit for the D series.

The focus confirmation on the D3 seems somewhat different from the D300. As you approach focus with the D3 there are little arrow showing the direction to go to achieve focus and then the confirmation light snaps on. With the D300 you get no such arrows or other indicators then suddenly the light comes on and there is very little motion of the focus ring to snap right back out of focus. So I would say the D3 is a bit more predictable. However having said that I have been getting really good results from the D300. Just takes a bit more patience. It is important to me because I love the D300 with either the Voightlander 40 2.0 or the 58 1.4 as a very low weight walkabout kit. I haven't done any measurements but I bet the D300 with the 40 is within shouting distance of my m8 with either a 35 or 50 cron in terms of size and weight. In fact since virtually all of my M lenses are chrome silver the M8 may be heavier.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey Ray, your samples with the ZF50/2 look very nice. It probably means that I will end up spending more money. Do you still have the ZF50/1.4 too? If so, any samples with that lens on the D3?

I haven't tried the Nikon 105, but I've heard good things about it. I'm certain that VR and AF would be deal breakers for a lot of people. But, I seem to prefer a more deliberate style when I'm using lenses with a little zip to them.

My ZF100 is new and a little bit stiff to focus, but not so much that it's a hinderance in any way ... I'll just have to break it in. The lens has more micro-contrast than any of the other Nikon lenses I've used.

Here are a few more from today with the ZF100.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And, a few more.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Kurt,

I'm afraid this thread is going to cause me to spend some money also. I really like what the ZF 100 is doing in these samples.

Unfortunately no, on the ZF 1.4. I already sold.

To describe it - think 50 Pre-ASPH Lux as a base. 1.4 is very soft and dreamy. 2.0 is about halfway to sharp. 2.8 shapes up very nicely. 4.0 and smaller is very close to the 50/2.0 Macro. The issue is that the 50 1.4 lens is really made for about 6ft. and longer distances. It is not very good up close. On the plus side, think of the OOF rendering of the Pre-ASPH Lux.

After finally testing the 50/2.0 Macro in non macro situations, it really impressed me. That lens is good starting at 2.0 and at any distance.

Again, unfortunately I don't have anything with the 1.4 on the D3. After doing some testing of both lenses, I just began to use the 50/2.0 exclusively. Those testing files never got saved as they were just things and people around the neighborhood.

Best,

Ray

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Kurt,

These look sensational. This might be the nicest ZF samples I've seen so far. Thanks for posting.

Zeiss has been knocking on my door to carry the line for a while. I think I might just have to go for it and become a dealer. See what you've gone and done?!

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post
    Kurt,

These look sensational. This might be the nicest ZF samples I've seen so far. Thanks for posting.

Zeiss has been knocking on my door to carry the line for a while. I think I might just have to go for it and become a dealer. See what you've gone and done?!

David
    Come on David

Be a dealer for these wonderful lenses for the Nikons. Sadly the Nikon folks have yet to do primes for the D300 and the D3 bodies. These lenses are just over the top/

Thanks Nikon and Zeiss for the wondrful images

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody look at the detail with the 85 and 50 1.4 stopped down a touch. Scary

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...?t=1213&page=2

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kurt

Wonderful images from a wonderful lens and great photographer.

My only question is what happened to the 15" of snow you were shoveling just a week ago! LOL

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

2 more macro shots from Nikon D3 + ZF 100/2

All shots was captured by hand held (the butterfly keep moving!!!) T__T

Andree

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This stuff is killing me now. I need to make some hard decisions. The D3 looks really nice but I need you guys to tell me the truth on the D300 Vs D3 . All i get are food fights on other forums and can't get real answer. It's all about image quality I care about nothing else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW all reports are very stiff focusing . Myth or reality

Post Thanks / Like

hi Guy
    ZF 100/2 focusing is as stiff as ZF 85/1.4
    other ZF lenses that I own (ZF 25, ZF 28, ZF 35 and ZF 50 macro) is not as stiff as those 2 ZF lenses.
    ZF 50/2 macro has the lightest focusing ring (in my personal experience)

Andree

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Andree. i think for me the 85 1.4 is the ticket if I can get the focusing under control with the Katz . I just like that focal length on any body also reminds me very much of my 75 and 80 lux. I just got thenew Nikon 60 macro and that suits me better in the Macro dept.

Post Thanks / Like

wow..! the new 60 Af-s Macro!!
    I own the old one. I only use this lens for my underwater photography. The new one is really sweet
    Btw, here is another quick shot from ZF100/2 at F2
    I love the bokeh from this lens ^^

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    And, a few more.
    These are just amazing.

Where did you get the lens?

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey all my favorite experts out there. I just received my ZF 100 Makro and 35 2.0 and have an issue I don't undrstand. In the top display of either the D300 or D3 instead of showing aperture it shows a delta F which ranges from 0 to 7! I have no idea how I got in to such a mode but I would far prefer to see aperture. Also the bodies do not want to let me use shutter priority mode with these lenses............anyone know what is going on?

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Woody,

All you need to do is go to the menu with the wrench (the one where you can fine tune AF). In that menu, you'll see a line labeled "Non CPU Lens Data". There you can enter data for a variety of lenses. It'll take just a minute to enter in the f-stop and focal length of each of the lenses you want to enter.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Woody,

All you need to do is go to the menu with the wrench (the one where you can fine tune AF). In that menu, you'll see a line labeled "Non CPU Lens Data". There you can enter data for a variety of lenses. It'll take just a minute to enter in the f-stop and focal length of each of the lenses you want to enter.

Kurt
    thanks Kurt

I just went to the Zeiss site and under the FAQ section there it was. So now everything working well.

Man the focus ring on the 100 is really stiff. Does it loosen up with use? It is actually not much of a problem when you are near the proper focus point but when you have to go from on end to the other your wrist will ache!

Thanks again

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody, it is stiff. In fact my zf50/2 arrived today and it is much less stiff. It'll probably take a little time to break it in. But, as the zf100 is fast becoming my favorite lens on the D3 maybe that'll happen sooner than later.

Let me know what you think of the 35/2 and I'll add some comments on the 50/2.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I guess I was trying to guage how accurate the green light for confirmation is. If that is iffy it would be a bit of a bummer to try and rely on it.
    At the instant moment of releasing the shutter one (photographer/subject) has slightly moved. Also depending on the quality and size of the CCD chip. For example, the focus confirmation on the Hy6 is unbeatable due to the quality and size of the chip. The Contax 645 focus confirmation is also good but the Hy6 is better. The accuracy of focusing confirmation on the 35 mm system will not be able to match the medium format system.

-Son
    ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Zeiss 100 ZF is a special modern lens for sure.
    ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)

Post Thanks / Like

...All you need to do is go to the menu with the wrench (the one where you can fine tune AF). In that menu, you'll see a line labeled "Non CPU Lens Data". There you can enter data for a variety of lenses. It'll take just a minute to enter in the f-stop and focal length of each of the lenses you want to enter...
    So you have to go to the menu each time you mount a different MF lens i guess, true ?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

LCT,

The answer to that is yes and no.

You can go into the wrench menu, select Non-CPU Lens, change the lens # (you have already pre-programmed the FL & F stop for each lens), then press OK.

In my case since I switch between MF Non-CPU lenses a lot. I have assigned the front FUNC button and the rear wheel to change those lenses for me. I press the FUNC button and the currently selected MF Non-CPU lens appears in the top display panel. If I want a different one, I just spin the rear wheel to which ever selection that I have already programmed in for these lenses (while holding the FUNC button down) and I'm done.

Best,

Ray