The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D300: Using Picture Controls in Camera or in Capture NX

M

Mitch Alland

As I understand it, the D300 allows you to edit the default Picture Controls of the camera that will adjust JPGs and that will add tags to NEF files which will be picked up by Capture NX and adjust the RAW image. It seems to me that if you use NX it doesn't really matter whether you've set the Picture Controls in camera or if you change them in NX, where you will find them in the Base Adjustment "step" under the Camera Adjustments heading.

Nikon offers four sets of Picture Controls. The default is Standard (see page 150 of the D300 manual). I've looked at Neutral which the manual states provides
Minimal processing for natural results. Choose for photographs that will later be extensively processed or retouched.
This looks somewhat less saturated and contrasty than Standard and may be a better starting point for achieving a more realistic look than the over-saturated Velvia look that, for me, is the bane of most colour photography. I haven't had time to experiment with this. Has anyone experience with this?

—Mitch/Tsumeb, Namibia
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
And also there's a thread on FM about D300 and "Custom Curves" by Raymond Francois, he is very talented in settings, postprocessing and stuff like that. Unfortunately I don't quite understand all of it so far. I think we need an illustrated thread of all the actions necessary to make such "Custom Curves", step by step.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/627552

neils

Mitch

I have my D3 set to Natural with a slight bump in USM, +4? I think. I feel I get a nice normal starting point and I am also not after Velvia punch. The Vivid setting is really not me.

In NX I have added Natural w/o USM, Standard w/o USM and B&W w/o USM. So as i view an image I have the in camera USM added. I just use this a as starting point for viewing. I will then use my w/o USM setting and go off on other changes including NX for sharpening.

My USM for D3 files under 800 ISO is alot of USM, very little radius and very low threshold. 80,.3,1 is something I would use. Again in camera USM has been turned off.

Have you found the area in the Picture control where you really can do a full on custom setting with curves and all and then adding it to the camera? I haven't worked that one yet.

Next week I'm covering a benefit for a friends company. The images will ever only be used online. I plan to shoot large/fine/natural easy on the eyes jpgs with a borrowed 28-70 on the D3. I'm torn about adding NEFs too as in NX even a jpg has lots of room from the D3.

Neil

harmsr

Workshop Member
I normally try to use the Neutral setting with some a +3 sharpening and +1 contrast as my starting point in the picture control settings within the camera.

Relative to custom curves applied in the camera, we know that it can be done. How to do it, well on that I have no idea yet. Nikon supplies custom curves so that the D3 reacts like the D2Xs did, which I am going to try. You can download these from Nikon and upload direct into the camera.

Best,

Ray

harmsr

Workshop Member
Steen,

Thank you very much. I'll have to start playing with that now.

I assume that will only work for files processed in Capture NX, or does it actually change the NEF file as it is written so that it works with other convertors also?

Best,

Ray

neils

On a NEF it will be an NX only thing and wouldn't show up in ACR or C1 etc. On a JPG it will have the "look" the custom curve gave it in any image editing program.

I also have the D2x curves loaded into my D3. In the D2x Mode 1 curve I've dropped contrast and saturation a bit and it is really a great "flesh" setting.

Sharpen at +4, contrast -1, brightness -1, saturation -1, and hue 0

Neil