The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Camera Calibration Softwaer for D700

routlaw

What do you super pros utilize? :lecture:
Matt I recently purchased the X-Rite Passport and initial results for location work seem to be working reasonably well, but will readily admit I have not dug my heels in to milk the most out of it yet. I did however use it on my recent trip to Zion NP and noticed some benefits.

For studio work I have been using InCamera from Pictocolor with predictable results for my Betterlight. In general profiling cameras can be tricky IMO and works the best under absolutely controlled conditions, ie studio repeatable situations.

Other options are to use the dng profile editor from Adobe/PS if you have the patience and tenacity to go through the iterations under controlled conditions. My experience indicates this is a time consuming process to really get it right and decided my time was better spent with InCamera etc.

I am inclined to think none of the camera profiling software will nail it 100% of the time but will get you in the 95% ± area with only minor tweaking as a rule.

There are some promo videos on the X-Rite site you can download and see how one photographer is working with Passport. For the price and portability its certainly worth looking into.

Rob

viablex1

thanks mang I am still looking at a large format camera maybe a sinar F2 but I really want a Canham DLC its a big step I went out with my friend the ground glass he has on his sinar was bright as hell and easy to focus...

routlaw

thanks mang I am still looking at a large format camera maybe a sinar F2 but I really want a Canham DLC its a big step I went out with my friend the ground glass he has on his sinar was bright as hell and easy to focus...
After market ground glass are available and well worth having which would make a huge difference in some of the dark places you are photographing in. That said I would also encourage you to look at some lighter, smaller and easier to setup cameras than the two mentioned above. Ebony has a near cult following amongst their users, and some are very light and easier to setup than the Canham DLC.

The following are a couple of links you might find interesting and helpful in your search for LF.

http://www.badgergraphic.com/

and excellent supplier of LF gear

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

forum dedicated to LF photography of all shapes and sizes. however unlike the getdpi forums at times things get a bit opinionated, caustic and downright rude on this forum. but you will find many reviews and helpful information of various cameras, lenses and techniques here, all worth looking into, including the Canham DLC.

Bottom line is if you are considering investing this level of money into LF take your time and consider the alternatives. For the work you are doing I would think long and hard on the Ebony non folding cameras, very light and very quick to setup. John Sexton has an excellent review of these cameras on LF website above.

http://www.ebonycamera.com/

I also hear great things about the Chamonix, also very light and easy to setup. Jack Flesher has some excellent photos on this website of his Chamonix and they are very reasonably priced, far less expensive than either Ebony, Canham, or Sinar.

Other things to consider for the future is how well any of these cameras will adapt to digital capture should you decide to go this route instead of film at some time down the road. This is especially true for devices like the Bettelight scan back as you have to use a camera with a bellows that does not leak infra-red, the Chamonix and some of the Ebony bellows as well as Linhof have been known to leak infra red.

Hope this helps.

Rob

viablex1

well I guess my question is what you use and why , I remember you mentioning doing architechural work etc, what set up do you have currently and why?

thanks

mAtto

I really appreciate your responses btw very very helpful

routlaw

well I guess my question is what you use and why , I remember you mentioning doing architechural work etc, what set up do you have currently and why?

thanks

mAtto

I really appreciate your responses btw very very helpful
I currently use two LF cameras, the Cambo Ultima in the studio, and a Zone VI for location work. I have also taken the Cambo many times on location as well though it is a bit heavy to be lugging around extensively, let alone hiking any distance with. And I have also used my Zone VI for studio work on many occasions. One of the nice things about the Cambo Ultima is the extensive modular capabilities of the camera system. It can be used with DSLR's, MFDB's, LF digital such as Betterlight or Phase One and of course film, both 4x5 and MF with the right adaptor/holders.

Neither of the them are perfect... but then what is? The Ebony's are on my short list of next purchases, its just a matter of deciding which one is best for my needs. The Zone VI is adequate for the scan back in terms of rigidity (a big issue given the extra weight of the insert compared to film holders) but the Ebony's are even better from what I understand. The one real nit I have about the Zone VI, other than the fact they are long out of production, is the bag bellows for wide angle lenses. Its just too cumbersome and difficult to deal with unless you absolutely have to use it. The camera is also a bit heavy (though not the heaviest by any measure) and larger than some of the alternatives available today. You can pick one of these up now days for a song and a dance and it will serve you well. For the cost difference I would prefer a Zone VI of the later iterations over the Canham... I think. The Ebony's are a different thing altogether... and then there's the Chamonix, lighter, cheaper and well thought out.

Put another way you could find a used Zone VI or new Chamonix, after market bright screen, and 2-4 used good lenses, bag bellows and dozen film holders for less than the price of a Canham DLC. Understand not all ZVI cameras were created equal, you will want to search for the latest editions IMO should you go this route. LF is relatively inexpensive to get into these days so no matter what you do its all good.

Arca Swiss and Linhof also make some fabulous LF gear.

Rob

Lloyd

I've been using the X-Rite Passport as well, and so far the results have been good. It's worked well with the D3, D300 and the Leica M8. However, if you want to try in fix in post production, one I've found very repeatable, and quick, once you get the hang of it, you might take a look at the first demo on this video. The segment comes right after the intro, and they call it "Color by the Numbers.". I've used this technique for a couple of years, and I'm always impressed with the results. http://www.photoshopusertv.com/2006/02/photoshop-tv-episode-17-february-12-2006/

viablex1

thanks been doing the color by numbers for a while but that hand tinting if not over done looks pretty darn cool