Site Sponsors

Thread: New Proscreen from Brightscreen for D3: Wow!

Post Thanks / Like

New Proscreen from Brightscreen for D3: Wow!

Well, I didn't think the D3 could be improved. I was wrong, it can.

Jim from Brightscreen sent a Proscreen (big 13mm microprism-only, the same design Guy and I tested on the 5D and the R9/DMR all that time ago). No other marks in the finder at all.

It is perfect. I want to mention here that on other threads people have been asking about the focus confirmation light (D300). Folk need to know that the AF lightpath and the AF confirmation light is one system; the finder and screen a separate system. I have had the personal experience (S5 Pro) where the focus confirmation pathway was spot on, and the MF pathway so far out of spec it was unusable—so much so that the body was replaced.

There is no guarantee that the systems are in sync. You just hope they are if you want to use MF.

The D3, being a pro camera, is like the 1Ds series: AF and MF pathways are more likely to be accurate. So this morning, I removed the standard MF screen in the D3 and put the Proscreen in. Adjusted the dioptre (something I do every day before shooting; the eye changes daily) and put the incredible Zeiss 100/2 macro on the body.

Perfect; that's all I can say. And on checking the focus on lines of type, I can say that on my D3, AF and MF pathways are perfectly in sync. And the bottom line is that the Proscreen makes a HUGE difference to ease of manual focussing: you can see focus being pulled across the parts of any letter in individual lines of type. It's incredible, frankly, and the standard screen definitely cannot do this. I mention this because my standard approach to portraits is to pull focus along the bottom eyelid on the closest eye—with this screen you can put that critical focus plane where you want.

As well, in the short time I have played with this, I can see that the AF will be improved, too. Why? Because I can SEE when AF is, in fact, in focus. I missed a few shots last week because the Pilates studio was dim (I was using strobes, but focussing by natural light, for the models' benefit) and there are a number of occasions the AF missed, even though it looked fine in the finder. I think the Proscreen will help in this regard, because it is so damn obvious when you are out of focus, even in the dim light of my studio here.

The Proscreen gives a completely open finder, you can see the AF points as easily as with the standard screen, and there is no comparison re. MF: the new screen is so much better in this regard.

I will ask Jim if he has D300 screens—if he does, I will get one for my D300 too. One of the advantages of the D300 finder and AF points is that in the D300, the AF points cover almost all the finder area, and the second advantage is that you can choose the "Rule of Thirds" lines as a Menu option. I have mine on all the time—I wish the D3 had these too, for the interiors I will shoot this year with the new TS 24.

Jim did mention that he will be making similar lines on a Brightscreen, but I would prefer to have the lines switchable—I would want it off for some of my work, I think.

On reading the other posts from the D300 owners, a Proscreen might be just what some of you are looking for, MF-wise. I only hope that the mirrorbox specs and QC are as good as the D3. Cheers to all, KL
    Last edited by kit laughlin; 31st March 2008 at 18:35.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New Proscreen from Brightscreen for D3: Wow!

Hi Kit, excellent review, thanks. What's Jim's price? Looks like I might have to give him a call tomorrow ... this is just like old times. Such a strong need for all of us to pursue this manual focus madness. But, with the ZF100 it is so worth the effort.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like

Kurt, all the Nikon screens he sells seem to be between $199 and $249. I can ask him if he might consider a "GetDPI" rate—can't hurt.

The ZF100/2 is the best lens I have ever used, frankly. Apart from being razor sharp wide open, the bokeh is the best I have ever seen—but then my fastest lenses have always been ƒ2. For me, that DOF is more useable than at ƒ1.4, and the finder is still plenty bright. Looking at some of Guy's recent test shots (his daughter's friend) I prefer the increased DOF at ƒ2, and ƒ2.8, for the enhanced realism (taste, I know) and that is where I shoot all my portraits. The bokeh is still wonderful, IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kit

I remember on my 1DsmkII that there were issues with metering using the Brightscreen 13mm prism. Have you noticed metering changes as you stop down on the Nikon?

thanks

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I ordered one from Jim at Brightscreen today. I was very fond of using the microprism screen in the DMR and hope that I'll feel the same with that same style screen in the D3.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like

Woddy, absolutely no difference that I can see at all, but then I shoot Raw (as I know you do) and am not quite so picky in that regard. As a general rule, even in the studio, EV adjustments are typically very small (0.1–0.25 EV)—smaller than all other cameras I have used. I did not see any difference in the images I shot yesterday. And dialing in a compensation value (that does not appear in the finder or LCD displays) is two second's work, if you do need to. I use matrix metering all the time.

I did have a quick reply from Jim re. selling screens for users to fit to D300s: in brief, he says it is much preferable for him to fit and calibrate at his site, and return to the sender. They do sell and fit Brightscreens to D300s, but only do it in house, and the owner can choose to have Jim calibrate the cameras as well.

There are many technical reasons for this apparently (to do with springs and shims). Not a straightforward "unclip-and-swap" operation as it is with the D3 (took just one minute). I am assuming that this is similar to the straightforward swaps of screen one could do with the 1Ds series, and the many problems folk might remember with the 5D.

The short overview is that QC on the pro bodies, and the technical execution re. manufacturing tolerances means that one is more likely to have MF focussing problems on the prosumer bodies (and the D300, great though it is, is a prosumer body in these terms). This is magnified if the user changes screens, I believe. When Jim fitted a Brightscreen to an S5 Pro I had a while ago, AF worked perfectly, and MF was way out. On returning the body to Brightscreen, he found that the mirrorbox specs were so far out the camera could not be calibrated, and Fuji swapped the body without any problem. The replacement body MF-ed perfectly, but it was around that time that Jim started suggesting that calibration for the prosumer bodies might be the best way to go.

Guy may chime in here, but both he and I tested Brightscreen prototypes for the 5D and the R9/DMR, and neither fitments were straightforward (I needed the Leica folk here to try two R9s and three DMRs before *they* were happy it was focussing accurately with the standard screen!). Once that had been established, the Brightscreen Proscreen for the DMR worked perfectly too. Clearly, there has to be an accuracy baseline that has been tested *before* you swap screens.

The Brightscreen for the D3 went straight in, the holder clipped in to place, and the dioptre needed a small adjustment. After than, it just worked. One reason, I guess, to pay $5,000 for a body instead of $1,700!

Kurt, I will be very interested in what you find, because you use MF more than I do (typically, I MF only for portraits and UWs). cheers, kl
    Last edited by kit laughlin; 1st April 2008 at 15:48.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My Katz eye for the D300 comes Friday and looks like JIm may get some business for the D3

I did not have to much trouble per say from memory with the DMR except I remember having to focusing in which means to the back of the microprism
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    My Katz eye for the D300 comes Friday and looks like JIm may get some business for the D3
    Do you have a secret or is this an April Fools day joke.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Funny you say that . Today is my wedding anniversary been married 19 years. So the running joke is, this is my second wife and the joke is once a fool always a fool. LOL

I even think I bought flowers. My daughter thought of it and went to get them for me. Been bribing this kid for 18 years she finally get's it

No I need a D3 after today it was obvious. My 24mm shift was not wide enough for one on the D300. i will explain in a minute
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, you don't need any excuses. To my eye there is a noticable difference between the cameras. You'd be impressed with the D3 immediately.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like

Go Guy!!!! I have been hanging out for you to get one. Keep the D300 for fun, and a backup which also extends any tele 50%—this is not trivial on some jobs, as you know.

You wrote:

focusing in which means to the back of the microprism
    That's the kind of thing I meant (and some of the other folk's problems).

Cheers and honestly, this is a great decision. That 24 is MEANT for FF.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea after today as much as I like the D300 which is a marvel the D3 will just serve me better. So having them both will be good.

Post Thanks / Like

Now things are really going to heat up around here! perhaps you could ask JL to fit a Proscreen before he sends it to you? And send the original in case you don't like it?

Cheers my friend: IMHO, of the MANY buying decisions we have been involved in, I think this one is all good. Best, Kit

Post Thanks / Like

Kit

I was wondering if you got the 13mm microprism because it was the only version offered or it is what you prefer.

Ages ago I put "J" screens in all my F's, split image on a 45 degree angle. I think that was the J screen. I haven't used a microprism in decades. Of course back then the MP section was just a ring around the RF center portion.

Is have a full MP center really better? I guess you'd have none of that half blackout the RF patch sometimes gave.

Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like the 13mm prism only myself. Have to see what he has available.

Thanks Kit and Kurt,hearing from folks I trust and respect makes this purchase much easier on me for the D3. Just did not want to chase my tail and honestly getting good info on other forums on it was driving me nuts. No one knows how to give good advice it seems without the food fights.

Post Thanks / Like

Neils, yes I got the 13mm Proscreen version, no other markings in the finder window (apart from the active AF sensor, that is). It's great.

Guy, he (Jim L) has the Proscreens for the D3 in stock. You are going to love this new camera...
    Last edited by kit laughlin; 2nd April 2008 at 05:39.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Kit and Kurt,hearing from folks I trust and respect makes this purchase much easier on me for the D3. Just did not want to chase my tail and honestly getting good info on other forums on it was driving me nuts. No one knows how to give good advice it seems without the food fights.
    Guy, you really cannot go wrong with the D3 - it's the best DSLR I have used, bar none, and I used all Nikons since the D70 included (D70, D200 briefly, D2x, D2xs, D300 - GF's D50 on the side). I never used Canon or other brands other than quick trial periods though.

The D3 is a wonderful tool, I am now thinking about the focussing screen for it and replacing the 105 VR for a Zeiss 100 f2. The 105 VR is great, but those Zeiss samples are looking oh so sweet! Am I crazy?
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey all my favorite experts out there. I just received my ZF 100 Makro and 35 2.0 and have an issue I don't undrstand. In the top display of either the D300 or D3 instead of showing aperture it shows a delta F which ranges from 0 to 7! I have no idea how I got in to such a mode but I would far prefer to see aperture. Also the bodies do not want to let me use shutter priority mode with these lenses............anyone know what is going on?

Woody

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Guy,

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!!! Somehow I just knew that you would not be able to resist the D3. Congrats.

----------

I also just ordered the Brightscreen 13mm Microprism for my D3.

----------

Best,

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Vieri: you are not crazy (well, only as crazy as the rest here). That Zeiss is, simply, the best lens I have ever used.

Woody: something off there, my friend. I just attached the Zeiss 100/2 to my D300, selected the Non-CPU number (I have this in My Menu) to "1" (the Zeiss, and rightly so) and all info on the top LCD is as it should be. I have no idea why you are seeing delta F. Try a remove-battery reboot. Anyone else? And maybe a "Master Reset", too. Very easy to set the few things you need to, after.

and Guy: I have said this already in many places, but I want to echo Ray and Vieri here: the D3 is just the best DSLR I have ever used, and for the FIRST TIME I am just happy with the gear, and my focus is making the images. No, muss, no fuss, it just does the job and the new optics are stellar, even to we Leica-R aficionados. Hope it comes soon; I can't wait for your reactions. cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Are you guys ordering the p772 #2 screen?

I'm not sure that is going to be the 13mm MP area as they say that size is for some 35mm DSLRs.

Neil

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Also the bodies do not want to let me use shutter priority mode with these lenses............anyone know what is going on?
    Woody, the ZF lenses only work in manual exposure and aperture priority modes, whereas the ZK (Pentax) lenses also offer shutter priority and program modes. This compatibility page on the Zeiss site provides full information.

Post Thanks / Like

Neils, an update from Jim at Brightscreen: the screen for the D300 has a slightly smaller microprism than the screens for the D3s (the 13mm Proscreens). Other than that they are the same technology. hth. kl.

Post Thanks / Like

Kit

Thanks. I'll call direct about the 13mm screen for my D3.

And so far there haven't been any weird problems with exposure since changing the screen? Some cameras or screens do I've read. I'm really not interested if there is any of that. Too much to think about already:-)

Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody, congrats with your new ZF lenses !
    My best guess is that Kit is right about all you need is to register the two non-CPU lenses in the camera.
    In this regard the ZF lenses are different from your new version Voigtländer lenses, which now come with a CPU matrix metering chip.
    Go to the SETUP MENU (the one with the tool icon) and then choose
    >> Non-CPU lens data >> choose lens number (free choice), Focal Length, and Maximum Aperture of the lens >> [OK]
    Do this for both your new ZF lenses, e.g. #1 and #2
    When you've made this step, the camera ought to be able to calculate the aperture you've chosen on the aperture ring on the lens, provided you remember to choose the right Non-CPU lens number in the menu (which btw. was not so easy for me to remember at the beginning )
    I hope for you it is nothing more serious than this little needed extra step.
    /Steen

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Neil,

No problems metering, but should you need an adjustment, you can dial it in (via the menu) and that simply sets a bias. All under- and over exposure from that point is calculated from that new set point. I have not seen the need to do that so fat. This bias comp. can be set in sixths of a stop. cheers, kl

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One note I set up my function button I think it is called (next to right ring finger) To press than rotate back dial to select which lens I have on. So for me at the moment is the Zeiss 50 1.4 and 85 1.4 . Si i can toggle very fast between them when I mount a lens. So no menu to deal with. Nice idea from Nikon

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kit can you see your middle AF point okay with the prism. BTW i did not know he had a D300 screen . He sent me a nice note yesterday about that. Just waiting for more money to buy the D3 next week , need to sell my last lens first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kit can you see your middle AF point okay with the prism. BTW i did not know he had a D300 screen . He sent me a nice note yesterday about that. Just waiting for more money to buy the D3 next week , need to sell my last lens first. Been thinking about the Zeiss 28 f2 also

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks all for the help to get my ZF lenses set up. Registering them in the non-cpu menu was all it took.

I am disappointed about not having shutter priority mode available but I doubt that it is a killer. Early results with the 35mm 2.0 look fantastic and everyone already knows about the 100 as there have been many images posted on the forum.

Again thanks.......don't know what i would do without you guys

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Guy,

when you get the D3 you will see that almost all the major buttons can be customised. I keep the Func button to flash value lock (triggers a little flash which the camera measures; when doing events, I use this to avoid the "pre-flash", which, in my experience, guarantees more closed eyes!). I have all my Zeiss lenses set up on My Menu (so a click and a rotate and an OK to select). Very fast.

As well, I have the metering reversed (for me, makes far more sense to have underexposure to the LHS [D300] or below [D3]; similarly, I find the rear wheel faster to use than the front one (especially as I have the Camadapter leather strap fitted, which I strongly recommend over the the neck strap). I love the customisation possibilities with these bodies.

And yes, all AF points are visible with the Brightscreen fitted. Let the good times roll!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey Kit, which Camadapter strap are you using? I have not had a hand strap since my DMR. I miss one like crazy and need to order one.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like

I use the Camadapter plate, and the black quality leather strap. Here's what I wrote to Jim, the Camadapter man, for him to use, if he wants:

I use it on a D3, a heavy camera, and that let me walk around all day for three days in the forests here, with the 70–200 VR + TC 1.4 extender—all up, a test for King Kong!

The Camadapter really helped, and as I have done this a number of times before, I felt I was able to compare. My hands and arms were definitely fresher at the end of the long days, compared to the no-Camadapter times.
    Incredibly cheap ($45 from memory?); I think too cheap. his system is quality all the way.

Cheers, kl

Post Thanks / Like

Kurt:

More detail: I use the Standard Adapter (01-0101, $30), plus the Topgrain ProStrap (who could resist that name; $25). The standard Camadapter does not have rubber on its base, and has a tripod hole (never used!). hth, kl

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Hey Kit, which Camadapter strap are you using? I have not had a hand strap since my DMR. I miss one like crazy and need to order one.

Kurt
    Kurt

I have used the Camadapter on my M8's since almost day one. Not only did Jim Caravuso work with me but he sent at least 10 samples of leather to attempt to get a close match to my Luigi case. The guy works really hard for you and produces a great product IMHO

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use RRS plates with the slot for the hand straps. I have a Nikon for the D300 but maybe not strong enough for the D3 which i have a left over Canon hand strap which is stronger

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am glad I read this thread - I liek teh look of those cam-adaptors. Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Hey all my favorite experts out there. I just received my ZF 100 Makro and 35 2.0 and have an issue I don't undrstand. In the top display of either the D300 or D3 instead of showing aperture it shows a delta F which ranges from 0 to 7! I have no idea how I got in to such a mode but I would far prefer to see aperture. Also the bodies do not want to let me use shutter priority mode with these lenses............anyone know what is going on?

Woody
    YEs, I know; the Leica spirits are MAD at you

BTW, congrats on 38th! (though I do beat you by almost a year-39th on the 12th.)

best regards
    Victor

Post Thanks / Like

I want to add another small absolutely necessary accessory for the D3 that costs peanuts, yet makes a real difference: the Nikon DK-19 "Big eyecup". This now has a locking collet ring that means (unlike the old model) IT WILL NOT FALL OFF!!! (How many here have lost one on location?

Much better viewing through the finder. Five star recommendation from me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kit

Jim Lakey at Brightscreen has a magnifier for the D3 which also uses the big eyecup (This magnifier is a brand new design). I put one on my D3 and it makes focusing even better (I also have the 13mm prism screen) and I don't lose the edges of the finder.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

God—an even BIGGER finder!!! Great work, Jim.

I will stick with the present combo for now; I do have a bunch of macro work coming up (a manual for rebuilding coffee machines) where I will be using the 50/2 and 100/2 pretty much exclusively, so may reconsider the magnifier than. Cheers, and has Guy got his D3 yet???

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am resurrecting this thread because I received my Proscreen for the D3 the other day. I don't know how to put this politely, but I was not impressed. I have a brightscreen for the Leica R9, and that worked brilliantly, but the one I got for the D3 worked quite poorly for me. It was dimmer than the stock screen, and while the big 13mm microprism center area with split rangefinder was helpful at times, I find it too intrusive to the view in the camera. It focused accurately, but I found that even manual focus was easier using the stock screen. I thought I just put it in wrong or something the first time, but I took it out and in several times, all with the same results. In comparison to the R9, using an f/2 lens with the brightscreen was far dimmer and more difficult to focus than the R9 with a f/2.8 lens. I totally wanted to love this, but it was a huge letdown. Even if it were free, I would not choose to have it replace the stock screen, yet it was 200 dollars. So back it goes. I will either get a refund or exchange it for the magnifier.

I was debating whether to post this, but I just wanted to offer another opinion. I am also completely willing to concede that the screen itself might be defective in some way, but given that it did focus accurately in both AF and MF when it was in, I think it had to have been in correctly. Also, there is pretty much only one way those screens will fit in...

Post Thanks / Like

Stuart,

Thanks for this info. I've been considering one of these but may put it off for now. I have a Zeiss 25mm coming and thinking about a 35 as well (hmm, and who knows what else) and thought the screen might be a big help.

Anyone else want to weigh in on this?

Post Thanks / Like

Stuart

Thanks for posting your impressions of the screen. Based on heresay I got the E screen for my D3 as legend had it MF was better. Nah, t'ain't so IMO.

My MF problems are all in my head, right where my eyes are. I'm 52, not 22 and AF is better than I am.

Charles

Be sure to post some Z25 examples and impressions when you get it. Curious how you find MF with the D3 and the 25.

Neil

Post Thanks / Like

I will. And if I don't sell my 24 AFD before I get the Zeiss maybe I can do a comparison with that and the 17-35 at 24mm.

I use manual focus a lot as it is so am hoping the mf on the zeisses to be more exacting and smoother. The achilles heel of the D3 is the weak reach in the frame of the af focus points. I do a lot of composing to the outside of the frame and am always brought up short by the af points.

I'm also hoping the Zeiss glass will match up closer with my Leica glass on the M8 (and the Zeiss 18 M) so that some personal projects I'm working on I can use both the 8 and the 3.

Trying to nail down a relatively simple system so doing lots of trying (and therefore buying/selling) of wider primes. Of course once I have it all figured out Nikon will come out with some killer new ones!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy

I have been away from the forum for a couple of days but let me add my support for Jim's 13mm screen on the D3. I actually bought my D3 from Jim back in January and since then he has taken my body and fitted his prototype magnifier for the 13mm screen as well. When it comes to manual focus, like with the Zeiss lenses this combination is unbeatable. JMHO

Woody