The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is anyone NOT shooting Raw

David K

Workshop Member
I know this is heresy around these parts but is anyone shooting jpegs with their D3 or D300. I've been shooting RAW forever but just for fun am going to try out some jpegs with the D2X profiles I've just downloaded. I'll post a few when I get a chance but wondered if anyone else is doing this.

David

neils

I may, note I said may shoot all jpgs this weekend. I'm covering an event for a friends non profit. The images will never see print and are for web only. Well maybe someone will want a print but nobody ordered one from last year so........

My shooting count will be maybe 400-500 images. That many in NX will take a long time to convert to jpg, ACR will be faster plus a jpg is a jpg no matter how I view it so NX isn't a must.

ACR is fine for all the ISO 200 bounce flash images and I've seen that the jpgs at even ISO 12,800 are absolutely completely usable right from the camera. I will also be shooting the musical act, Eddie Money, at ISO 3200-6400 is my guess.

So my plan is to edit in Photo Mechanic and finish in ACR. I may never even need CS3. Besides, with two 4 gig cards in the D3 I think I can cover the whole gig.

In general I'm RAW only or RAW plus a little jpg for a client.

Neil

David K

Workshop Member
Shot a few at the beach today... some RAW some jpeg. This was the latter, very little post and no discernible difference between these and the RAW shots.