The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Favorite Shot of 2009

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I've had a hard time deciding, and concluded that, like Jorgen, I don't really have a favorite. Different images evoke different emotions for me.

This shot is special to me because it's of Mimi and our youngest grandchild. We hadn't met him yet, as he and his parents live across the country from us. We finally got back to see them when he was about a month old. This was the first time Mimi held him. I think her face speaks volumes.
Your photo speaks volumes as well, Lloyd. Beautiful.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Nice pictures all, I think I'll pick this one as my contribution.
A Happy Newyear to all of you, and a 'welcome aboard' to Darr :)

Nikon D300 • Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/85 ZF • 1/2000 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 200 • Capture NX

m_driscoll

Yeah, pretty crazy. :eek:

Truth is, I found that I was defaulting to the 70-200 more often, and also (and this was the deciding factor) I wanted to by a Noctilux for my Leica. I wish I hadn't sold it sometimes. But I was interested to see Bjorn Rorslett's review (not yet published, but put up in sections on the forums on Nikonians), that other than the advantage of f2 over f2.8, he felt there was almost no distinguishable difference between the 200 VR and the new 70-200 VRII
Good. Makes me feel better. The 200mm f/2 was a "one shot pony" (albeit a magnificent thoroughbred). I, too, was using the 70-200 a lot more. I'll have to check out Bjorn's comments on Nikonians (haven't been there in a while). Cheers.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

m_driscoll

Lloyd: Beautiful shot of Mimi and your grandchild. Your portraits are always perfect! Something to aspire to.

Jorgan: Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Osman: Thanks for your considered response to Jorgen.

Jorgen/Osman: I live in a pretty sheltered, privileged, environment in the PNW. Your photos provide perspective and insight into places I'll probably never go. Thanks for sharing.

Corlan: +1. Thanks for responding to Jorgen and Osman. Couldn't agree more. Also, beautiful photo of the boat bridge. The light, color and DOF works very well.

Leica77: Beautiful photo. The monochromatic statue and the boy's clothing (how did you do that?) are a perfect counterpoint to the color of his skin and hair. Thanks.

Steen: Nice capture and composition. His face is very expressive.

Cheers,

Lloyd

Osman, Corlan and Jorgen, thank you gentlemen. I'm honored by your kind comments. I'm consistently inspired by each of your work shared with us here, and am grateful to know you through this forum.

Lloyd

Thank you Matt. I am a great admirer of your work. Both here and on the Leica threads. You have an eye for things most of us would pass by, and I've particularly enjoyed your Pikes Market shots, which bring back wonderful memories of my time in Seattle and Tacoma (where I attended grad school for a year, and worked for a summer) Thank you for sharing with us.

Lloyd

I didn't do a lot of shooting with my D700 this year. More than anything, I've been shooting my G1/GH1/GF1 cameras. When I do take the D700 out, however, I'm always reminded of why I still have it.

This was shot with the ZF 35mm f2 lens. It's not an outstanding shot, but there's something about it I find very appealing.

View attachment 26313

Cheers,
Thanks for posting Simon. I had to look closely at the large version of your shot to determine what it was I was seeing. I agree, something appealing about the shot. (Not to mention that I covet that lens! ;))

Lloyd

Nice pictures all, I think I'll pick this one as my contribution.
A Happy Newyear to all of you, and a 'welcome aboard' to Darr :)

Nikon D300 • Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/85 ZF • 1/2000 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 200 • Capture NX[/center]
Nice moment, Steen. And what perfect color! Beautiful image.

shtarka1

Simon, lovely color & arrangement. Once opened up it explodes with vibrancy!

Steen, the sincerity in the man's eyes are telling & the juxtaposition to the out of focus gentleman behind him with a scowl on his face is excellent!

Lloyd, Lloyd, Lloyd...Talk about a moving image! The intense, heartfelt love! The serenity! The beauty & innocence! The tone & composition! This image Blew Me Away! Im still going back to it & showing my wife! It really hit me in the Soul. This is what it's all about. Keep inspiring!

Lloyd

Lloyd, Lloyd, Lloyd...Talk about a moving image! The intense, heartfelt love! The serenity! The beauty & innocence! The tone & composition! This image Blew Me Away! Im still going back to it & showing my wife! It really hit me in the Soul. This is what it's all about. Keep inspiring!
Steve, you've left me speechless. Thank you, my friend.

Lisa

Sorry, I don't have any heartfelt images, or maybe I just prefer humor:

"An Unorthodox Maneuver" (Venice, Italy):

(D300 with 18-200 DX VR)

Lisa

otumay

Very interesting shot, Lisa, and graphically dynamic. I guess that move may cost him his job;)
Best,
Osman

m_driscoll

Thank you Matt. I am a great admirer of your work. Both here and on the Leica threads. You have an eye for things most of us would pass by, and I've particularly enjoyed your Pikes Market shots, which bring back wonderful memories of my time in Seattle and Tacoma (where I attended grad school for a year, and worked for a summer) Thank you for sharing with us.
Lloyd: Thank you! Cheers.