Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Shot of 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Favorite Shot of 2009

I'm back in D.C. after 25 years in the Philadelphia suburbs. I never get tired of the reflecting pool.
    Last edited by aboudd; 11th March 2010 at 04:43.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Favorite Shot of 2009

Beautiful reflection Aboudd!

ok...here's mine...

Happy & Healthy New Year To All At DPI!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wanted to initiate the same kind of thread, but with other's posters images. It takes a bit longer, so i'll post tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Mule Day 2009, Calvary Georgia
    NIKON D200 | 18-200 mm (31 mm) | f 8 @ 1/800

I am new on this forum and should introduce myself: My name is Darr (short for Darlene) Almeda and most of my work has been done through 4x5" and medium format film. I received a Nikon D200 as a gift in 2007 and this was my first introduction into shooting digital. Since then, I have acquired a Canon G9 and find it to be an exceptional little camera. I am accustom to shooting with a view camera and thus have a few Arca's and Ebony's that I will be selling in the near future. I just ordered an Arca M Line-Two and a P45 back from Capture Integration. I give thanks to this forum and all its contributors for helping me decide on where to go next with digital. I am a retired professional photographer (studio, portrait, special events), but I still make some income through fine art sales, thus the Arca purchase. This year had not been an easy time for me to go and shoot as I returned to school to finish a degree that I had been wanting to do for a while. I look forward to making more art in 2010.

Happy New Year!
    Darr

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    [CENTER]

I am new on this forum and should introduce myself: My name is Darr (short for Darlene) Almeda and most of my work has been done through 4x5" and medium format film. I received a Nikon D200 as a gift in 2007 and this was my first introduction into shooting digital. Since then, I have acquired a Canon G9 and find it to be an exceptional little camera. I am accustom to shooting with a view camera and thus have a few Arca's and Ebony's that I will be selling in the near future. I just ordered an Arca M Line-Two and a P45 back from Capture Integration. I give thanks to this forum and all its contributors for helping me decide on where to go next with digital. I am a retired professional photographer (studio, portrait, special events), but I still make some income through fine art sales, thus the Arca purchase. This year had not been an easy time for me to go and shoot as I returned to school to finish a degree that I had been wanting to do for a while. I look forward to making more art in 2010.

Happy New Year!
    Darr
    Welcome. Looking forward to more. Great shot here.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shtarka1 View Post

ok...here's mine...

You have so many great ones to choose from, but this one stands out in my mind as well. Amazing.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aboudd View Post
    I'm back in D.C. after 25 years in the Philadelphia suburbs. I never get tired of the reflecting pool.
    Wonderful shot. Simply stunning. Great thread, btw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ok...here's mine...

You really should post this on the "Dogs Unlimited" thread!!

It's great here too, of course....I love it.

Reminds me of my wee Bonnie lass....and perhaps my favorite pic for 2009. I really love this little dog.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    Welcome. Looking forward to more. Great shot here.
    Thank you Lloyd!

Post Thanks / Like

ok...here's mine...
    Lovely!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post

Reminds me of my wee Bonnie lass....and perhaps my favorite pic for 2009. I really love this little dog.

Gary

An absolute cutie!!
    I have five dogs myself, but only one has ever sat for a picture.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy New Year!
    Darr[/QUOTE]
    Darlene, welcome aboard! Absolutely Love that shot!
    You have so many great ones to choose from, but this one stands out in my mind as well. Amazing.
    Too kind Lloyd! Thanks for making me feel welcome here at DPI!
    Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    You really should post this on the "Dogs Unlimited" thread!!

It's great here too, of course....I love it.

Gary

Gary, thank you very much! Your picture of Bonnie is Beautiful!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Great photos everyone. It's almost 2010, dark outside, and I'm not taking anymore Nikon shots this year; so, I'll go with this one ("Annie get your gun"). Cheers and Happy New Year.

D700;200mm f/2 (why did I sell this lens?); 1/2000s @ f/2; ISO 560

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a great shot, Matt. I keep wondering why I sold mine as well. Live and learn, I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello My Good Friend Lloyd,

Happy New Year! It is very nice to see excellent images in your threads. This one was posted in the "Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon" thread (initiated by Lloyd) in 2009. Best wishes to you and your lovely family!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fantastic shot Leica77

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leica 77 View Post

Happy New Year! It is very nice to see excellent images in your threads. This one was posted in the "Even More Fun Pictures with Nikon" thread (initiated by Lloyd) in 2009. Best wishes to you and your lovely family!
    You're back!! Great to see a post from you, my friend. And this truly is a wonderful shot. All the best to you and yours this coming New Year!

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't have a favourite, never have. My best photo is always the next one, the one that's probably out there somewhere, waiting to be found and to be captured. Still, here's one which isn't necessarily the best one, but one that has a symbolic meaning that is important to me.

In this part of the world, and in most other third world countries, young women struggle to create a life for themselves, very often ending up being abused or simply getting pregnant with men who dump them as soon as they learn about the new, future family member, or simply because they find another girl who is even younger, cuter and more gullible. After which the girl has to start all over again, from scratch minus ten this time, having to create a life for themselves and a baby, very often without any support from others whatsoever.

If I could wish for one thing only for the new year and all the years that follow, it would be to change the attitude of men, to take responsibility for their actions, and not just run away, starting another disaster elsewhere, which unfortunately many of our kind do far too often... and this does not only apply to the act of creating babies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I don't have a favourite, never have. My best photo is always the next one, the one that's probably out there somewhere, waiting to be found and to be captured. Still, here's one which isn't necessarily the best one, but one that has a symbolic meaning that is important to me.

In this part of the world, and in most other third world countries, young women struggle to create a life for themselves, very often ending up being abused or simply getting pregnant with men who dump them as soon as they learn about the new, future family member, or simply because they find another girl who is even younger, cuter and more gullible. After which the girl has to start all over again, from scratch minus ten this time, having to create a life for themselves and a baby, very often without any support from others whatsoever.

If I could wish for one thing only for the new year and all the years that follow, it would be to change the attitude of men, to take responsibility for their actions, and not just run away, starting another disaster elsewhere, which unfortunately many of our kind do far too often... and this does not only apply to the act of creating babies.
    Jorgen, I'm much impressed by your heartfelt way of describing the terrible inequality between sexes, in the majority of countries all over the world. Chained by false legends of 'decency', 'traditions', 'virtue' and so forth, and cloaked under veils, head-scarves, they are constant reminders to us that technical prowess does not necessarily guarantee wisdom, justice and a better life for all. May your wishes come true.

Thank you and kind regards,

Osman

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Excellent shot, Leica 77.
    Osman

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post

Was about to address this, but Osman did it in the mean time with such nice words that i'll simply borrow them...

Quote Originally Posted by otumay View Post
    Jorgen, I'm much impressed by your heartfelt way of describing the terrible inequality between sexes, in the majority of countries all over the world. Chained by false legends of 'decency', 'traditions', 'virtue' and so forth, and cloaked under veils, head-scarves, they are constant reminders to us that technical prowess does not necessarily guarantee wisdom, justice and a better life for all. May your wishes come true.

Thank you and kind regards,

Osman
    So true.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey Leica 77, good to see you around! This shot of yours was indeed of my favourites in the For Fun thread... a lively scene brilliantly captured!

(also remember the multi-reflection shot of the downtown shop window, another great one of yours)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No personal "favourite" either, though rapidly browsing 09' images, the one below made its way because of the story behind (see this page http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...bin#post157919, post #1963 and below).

A bit of inspiration on human dedication and realization when facing adverse fortune. Unfortunately a highly topical matter throughout the world this past year.

Hopefully the one to come will be better in this regards, too.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Corlan F. View Post
    Was about to address this, but Osman did it in the mean time with such nice words that i'll simply borrow them...

So true.
    I agree completely... with Jorgen's point, and the succinct way Osman described it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

No personal "favourite" either, though rapidly browsing 09' images, the one below made its way because of the story behind (see this page http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...bin#post157919, post #1963 and below).

A bit of inspiration on human dedication and realization when facing adverse fortune. Unfortunately a highly topical matter throughout the world this past year.

Hopefully the one to come will be better in this regards, too.
    This was a really nice series Corlan. Interesting and impressive people.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Very inspiring photo's & powerful,important messages!
    Matt & Lloyd, i cant believe you let the 200vr 2 go!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Very inspiring photo's & powerful,important messages!
    Matt & Lloyd, i cant believe you let the 200vr 2 go!
    Yeah, pretty crazy.

Truth is, I found that I was defaulting to the 70-200 more often, and also (and this was the deciding factor) I wanted to by a Noctilux for my Leica. I wish I hadn't sold it sometimes. But I was interested to see Bjorn Rorslett's review (not yet published, but put up in sections on the forums on Nikonians), that other than the advantage of f2 over f2.8, he felt there was almost no distinguishable difference between the 200 VR and the new 70-200 VRII

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had a hard time deciding, and concluded that, like Jorgen, I don't really have a favorite. Different images evoke different emotions for me.

This shot is special to me because it's of Mimi and our youngest grandchild. We hadn't met him yet, as he and his parents live across the country from us. We finally got back to see them when he was about a month old. This was the first time Mimi held him. I think her face speaks volumes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey Leica 77, good to see you around! This shot of yours was indeed of my favourites in the For Fun thread... a lively scene brilliantly captured!

(also remember the multi-reflection shot of the downtown shop window, another great one of yours)
    Hi Corlan,

Many thanks for remembering some of my images in the Nikon threads. It has been an exciting year looking at your excellent images and reading your in-depth discussions on a number of issues that are of artistic, technical and interpretive importance. We all benefited so much from your contributions. Our leader Lloyd has been truly outstanding in terms of providing all of us a great deal of advice, encouragement, and compassion. During the course of past year, we have developed a nice circle of photo enthusiasts from many parts of the world. I wish you all the best for the New Year 2010! Kind regards, Leica 77.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by otumay View Post
    Excellent shot, Leica 77.
    Osman
    Hi Osman,

Season's Greetings! It has been my great pleasure getting to know your fabulous talents through the images that you have posted in this Forum. Your images have inspired many of us. Best wishes for the New Year 2010! Leica 77.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've had a hard time deciding, and concluded that, like Jorgen, I don't really have a favorite. Different images evoke different emotions for me.

This shot is special to me because it's of Mimi and our youngest grandchild. We hadn't met him yet, as he and his parents live across the country from us. We finally got back to see them when he was about a month old. This was the first time Mimi held him. I think her face speaks volumes.

Your images have certainly evoked deep warm feelings and touched our hearts. Only a few masters can do that and we are most fortunate that we have been able to learn so much from you in this Forum. Though it has been just about a year since I started to post some of my images in your thread, it seems I have known you much longer than a year. You have certainly made a profound impact on the way I see and appreciate the world around us. Very best wishes to you and all your loved ones, Leica 77.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Your images have certainly evoked deep warm feelings and touched our hearts. Only a few masters can do that and we are most fortunate that we have been able to learn so much from you in this Forum. Though it has been just about a year since I started to post some of my images in your thread, it seems I have known you much longer than a year. You have certainly made a profound impact on the way I see and appreciate the world around us. Very best wishes to you and all your loved ones, Leica 77.

Thank you, my friend. Truly... I'm honored beyond words. I'm grateful to have found this forum, and to have you and other members here offer such support and inspiration. I know in your case in particular, I'm be very much inspired by your wonderful images from so many parts of the world I've never had the opportunity to visit. I've lived vicariously through your vision, and I'm grateful for that privilege. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wonderful images everyone!

It's tricky picking a favorite, not because I have so many great ones, but memory and sentiment sometimes get in the way. This shot shows a 1950 John Deere tractor my brother restored from a rusting hulk that was sitting in a field for 40 years.

Every bolt and every piece was painstakingly removed and brought back to life and then the entire tractor was reassembled. This photo was taken on the day he turned the key for the very fist time after the rebuild. It started and ran perfectly on the first try. I was humbled by the effort and the perseverance.

The project is an example to me of how effective and important steady, careful work can be. It's not fancy or glitzy, but it represents something wonderful.

Best to everyone in 2010!
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Nice shots everyone and Happy New Year.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post

It's tricky picking a favorite, not because I have so many great ones, but memory and sentiment sometimes get in the way. This shot shows a 1950 John Deere tractor my brother restored from a rusting hulk that was sitting in a field for 40 years.

Every bolt and every piece was painstakingly removed and brought back to life and then the entire tractor was reassembled. This photo was taken on the day he turned the key for the very fist time after the rebuild. It started and ran perfectly on the first try. I was humbled by the effort and the perseverance.

The project is an example to me of how effective and important steady, careful work can be. It's not fancy or glitzy, but it represents something wonderful.

Tim
    That's awesome, Tim. Great choice.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't do a lot of shooting with my D700 this year. More than anything, I've been shooting my G1/GH1/GF1 cameras. When I do take the D700 out, however, I'm always reminded of why I still have it.

This was shot with the ZF 35mm f2 lens. It's not an outstanding shot, but there's something about it I find very appealing.

Attachment 26313

Cheers,
    Last edited by simonclivehughes; 12th September 2010 at 12:35.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Osman,

Season's Greetings! It has been my great pleasure getting to know your fabulous talents through the images that you have posted in this Forum. Your images have inspired many of us. Best wishes for the New Year 2010! Leica 77.
    Thank you very much, Leica 77. I am honored by what you have written. I am sometimes unable to express myself fully, but I am sure you'll understand.
    Best wishes for 2010.
    Best,
    Osman

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica 77 have described my feelings as well, Lloyd. I am indebted to you for your images, for your motivating responses and guidance.
    Best,
    Osman

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post

Tim
    Hi Tim,
    sounds like your brother should meet my guys down the canal!
    Looking forward to see more of your always delicate, beautifully processed shots this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post
    I didn't do a lot of shooting with my D700 this year. More than anything, I've been shooting my G1/GH1/GF1 cameras. When I do take the D700 out, however, I'm always reminded of why I still have it.

This was shot with the ZF 35mm f2 lens. It's not an outstanding shot, but there's something about it I find very appealing.

Cheers,
    Indeed a good one, Simon. Some of the product names are pretty funny by the way... a lot of colors and sense of humor there

Instant family classic, without doubt. One amongst many other fine portraits in your book... thanks for sharing all those moments with us, Lloyd.

Last edited by Corlan F.; 1st January 2010 at 12:20.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Your photo speaks volumes as well, Lloyd. Beautiful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice pictures all, I think I'll pick this one as my contribution.
    A Happy Newyear to all of you, and a 'welcome aboard' to Darr

Nikon D300 Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/85 ZF 1/2000 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 200 Capture NX

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, pretty crazy.

Truth is, I found that I was defaulting to the 70-200 more often, and also (and this was the deciding factor) I wanted to by a Noctilux for my Leica. I wish I hadn't sold it sometimes. But I was interested to see Bjorn Rorslett's review (not yet published, but put up in sections on the forums on Nikonians), that other than the advantage of f2 over f2.8, he felt there was almost no distinguishable difference between the 200 VR and the new 70-200 VRII
    Good. Makes me feel better. The 200mm f/2 was a "one shot pony" (albeit a magnificent thoroughbred). I, too, was using the 70-200 a lot more. I'll have to check out Bjorn's comments on Nikonians (haven't been there in a while). Cheers.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd: Beautiful shot of Mimi and your grandchild. Your portraits are always perfect! Something to aspire to.

Jorgan: Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Osman: Thanks for your considered response to Jorgen.

Jorgen/Osman: I live in a pretty sheltered, privileged, environment in the PNW. Your photos provide perspective and insight into places I'll probably never go. Thanks for sharing.

Corlan: +1. Thanks for responding to Jorgen and Osman. Couldn't agree more. Also, beautiful photo of the boat bridge. The light, color and DOF works very well.

Leica77: Beautiful photo. The monochromatic statue and the boy's clothing (how did you do that?) are a perfect counterpoint to the color of his skin and hair. Thanks.

Steen: Nice capture and composition. His face is very expressive.

Cheers,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Osman, Corlan and Jorgen, thank you gentlemen. I'm honored by your kind comments. I'm consistently inspired by each of your work shared with us here, and am grateful to know you through this forum.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Matt. I am a great admirer of your work. Both here and on the Leica threads. You have an eye for things most of us would pass by, and I've particularly enjoyed your Pikes Market shots, which bring back wonderful memories of my time in Seattle and Tacoma (where I attended grad school for a year, and worked for a summer) Thank you for sharing with us.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by simonclivehughes View Post

Attachment 26313

Cheers,
    Thanks for posting Simon. I had to look closely at the large version of your shot to determine what it was I was seeing. I agree, something appealing about the shot. (Not to mention that I covet that lens! )

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post
    Nice pictures all, I think I'll pick this one as my contribution.
    A Happy Newyear to all of you, and a 'welcome aboard' to Darr

Nikon D300 Carl Zeiss Planar 1.4/85 ZF 1/2000 sec. at f/2.8 ISO 200 Capture NX[/center]
    Nice moment, Steen. And what perfect color! Beautiful image.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Simon, lovely color & arrangement. Once opened up it explodes with vibrancy!

Steen, the sincerity in the man's eyes are telling & the juxtaposition to the out of focus gentleman behind him with a scowl on his face is excellent!

Lloyd, Lloyd, Lloyd...Talk about a moving image! The intense, heartfelt love! The serenity! The beauty & innocence! The tone & composition! This image Blew Me Away! Im still going back to it & showing my wife! It really hit me in the Soul. This is what it's all about. Keep inspiring!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd, Lloyd, Lloyd...Talk about a moving image! The intense, heartfelt love! The serenity! The beauty & innocence! The tone & composition! This image Blew Me Away! Im still going back to it & showing my wife! It really hit me in the Soul. This is what it's all about. Keep inspiring!
    Steve, you've left me speechless. Thank you, my friend.