Site Sponsors

Thread: Reasonable Macro lens for Nkon D80

irishsnapper

Reasonable Macro lens for Nkon D80

Hi there,

could you recommend a reasonable macro lens or a substitute for a D80?

Thanks a lot!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reasonable Macro lens for Nkon D80

For the price, it's tough to beat a 60 Micro.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree on the 60. If you need something longer, look for a used Nikkor 105 if the newer VR/version is too expensive. I bought an old AF version for around $300. The alternatives from Tamron, Tokina and Sigma aren't bad either. The Sigma 150mm is absolutely stellar, and doubles as a very nice telephoto lens that works fine also with TCs. A bit long for some macro work though.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One question regarding macro is what types of subjects are you looking to shoot? The 60mm AF-micro (AF-D or AF-S) is a great lens but isn't ideal if you are shooting anything live such as bugs since the subject distance is so short that you'll put them in shadow. I use the 60 AF-S for still life / macro indoors and I used the AF-D version for many years before that. It's a sharp lens and the AF-D version has the advantage of not needing a hood since the lens element is pretty recessed. I even used it as a 'long normal' at times although the AF-D wasn't great at infinity.

However, my recommendation would definitely be the 105 for macro work, even with a DX camera. The extra camera/subject distance makes it a lot more versatile and this is more important than the crop FoV. With the 60 you are often just too close. The VR version works well for hand holding outdoors and helps a lot with critters, flowers etc. but obviously is more expensive so you'd need to weigh that factor up.

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoyed the Sigma 70/2.8 Macro on my D200. It is excellent on the D700 as well.

I'd also have a good look at the new Tamron 60/2.0 Macro, as the extra stop will be very useful in non-macro situations (portraits, etc).

As previously posted, if you plan to shoot bugs you will probably want at least a 100mm lens. Preferably 150mm or more.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the older non-AF 105mm f/4.0. I find for macro work (depending on what your shooting), auto focus will not work properly on the type of close-ups as below and would spin trying to find a point of focus.

Nikon D200, 105 mm f/22 @ 1.6 sec.