The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Son;an R to F adapter?

David K

Workshop Member
Marc,

Where did you find an adapter for $50. The Novoflex adapters sold by Adorama are closer to $500 (for both the Haring and Nika adaprers). Special order to boot...

robmac

Fotodiox also sells pretty well any adapter you can think of. H to Nikon or EOS for roughly $80 IIRC. One of the better respected adapter makers. Don't know if Kindai (check kindai store on ebay) make any for medium format, but are a VERY well respected 35mm adapter maker. Their adapters are also sold under by Stephen Gandy under the Cameraquest brand.

robmac

Stay away from adapters from buyitjnow (or some such) on ebay - or at least examine carefully BEFORE using lens and frequently during use.

I normally opt for the most expensive option, only to come across someone who bought X from Y at 1/2 the price and has had it work like a charm for 10 yrs. So, decided to try the above route ($30) based on some input elsewhere that indicated adapter was ok, not perfect by any means, but did the job.

Adapter FINALLY arrived today (another issue with vendor) and tried it out. Note: I bought the V-Nikon adapter + a Nikon-EOS chipped adapter from Rudolph (happypagehk on ebay - adapter makes I trust) custom encoded for '110mm f2' so I could have exif data.

First off it seems that the mounting flanges on the V-Nikon adapter are thinner than normal. Took some serious tweaking of adjusters on HK Nikon-EOS adapter to get the two to fit snugly. Unusual.

So, using lens for some test shots (SWEET IQ and handling BTW) and noticed some movement. Thought at first I needed to do some more tweaking when noticed that it was the Nikon side of the V-Nikon adapter was loose. In effect, the adapter was coming apart. Language ensued.

Note: most adapters come in two sections - camera side and lens side attached together. This was no exception.

Well it appears as if the 4 tiny screws that hold the adapter sections together were coming lose FAST. I'd say I was a couple of shots away from the 110/2 F doing a swan dive. If any threadlock was used, I'll be damned if I can see it. More rather 'florid' language ensued.

Pulled the sucker apart, used some threadlock and re-torqued properly. Will be ordering Fotodiox and posting 'feedback' in morning. For the $30 it cost, it's not worth mailing back to HK with my 'compliments'.

May still use this one with due care until Fotodiox unit arrives, but not to any length (and without my hand firmly on lens) until I can tap some new holes for some larger diameter SS machine screws. There is more than enough room.

This was one of these examples of getting exactly what you paid for.

fotografz

This V to Nikon adapter visually appears to be the same as the 2 I've been using for years: V to EOS and V to Leica R. I'll report back on it once it arrives to confirm that it's the same. They seem to be turned out of one piece, are well matted inside to discourage reflections, have a wide knurled twist band and a robust, simple push button release. The lens mount itself looks exactly like the EOS and Leica R mounts, screw size and all.

At first I bought into the Noveflex idea of a modular adapter ... good idea in therory, horrible in practice ... I sent back a new one I tried ... in a baggie full of springs and parts.

robmac

Let us know what you think.

I may still order the Fotodiox Pro version as the cheaper Fotodiox unit appears identical to the PoC I got. As usual, it appears to be a situation with a couple of shops OEMing the same product(s) through various retailers at varying prices.

As I await the new adapter, have re-secured the screws holding the Nikon mount to the turned Hasselblad piece with some Loctite 680 (think liquid welding...) vs the weaker Loctite 243 used last night.

As a side note, the screws used in this unit are smaller than those used in my various Leica-EOS or Nikon-Eos adapters. Not a great idea considering the extra leverage placed on them from the Hasselblad registration distance (e.g. the LONG adapter required).