Site Sponsors

Thread: Son;an R to F adapter?

Post Thanks / Like

Son;an R to F adapter?

Sure there is only .5 mm what's that? about 1/7 the size of a current CY to EOS adapter?)
    BUT, who needs infinity focus. Most street and even telephoto for wildlife will be quite in say for an 800mm lens (30") much focusing will be under 50 Focal lengths.
    so, what is the THINNEST Leica R lens to Nikon F mount that can be made?
    The mounts are pretty available no? only worry about funny pins etc like the Canon to fool the AF but cant be too bad since the ZF are MF.

Do you have a source? I would underwrite a prototype.

Let me know, or if anyone out there is willing to try or know someone. I will offer up to $1000 to have the first one made, then we can work out a future price for others. (I would only ask to recoup costs; any future profits, including first 'sale' to me, would be for the maker!)

With the Nikon showing some real promise, I think there may be some interest.

regards
    Victor

PS Lots of options; stick an F on the back of a Leica R to M, or use a Visoflex to F and change the front, or swap an EOS for F etc. This doesnt have to be a 'blank sheet of paper" design

John M. ? any interest?

My departed father was a metal T&D master. I know he could have made it!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Son;an R to F adapter?

Sounds like a job for Son. I'm lucky if I can close a safety-pin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I woudl be interested in any technical discussion about the feasability of an r to Nikon adaptor - must have infinity focus of course...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I woudl be interested in any technical discussion about the feasability of an r to Nikon adaptor - must have infinity focus of course...
    Peter, why insist on inf focus? not likely physically possible I am assuming that adding 3mm will still allow focus to a reasonable distance, say 100-200m for wildlife.

Except for landscapes and super wides, I can't think when I am at infinity. What I would use for is street, low light, and esp high iso for wildlife. With long lenses, even the MOON isnt at infinity

regards
    Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Victor :

1. if you don't get infinity focus - you don't know where less than infinity focus is ... if you get my dfrift.

2. I like wide wides..

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I've seen it done by replacing the Leica R flange with a custom Nikon flange. The one sample I know of includes the little dimples that provide the aperture click-stops. Fully manual operation of course but it's easily reversible for when the SL-10 becomes available.

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    . . . SL-10 becomes available.
    Nice!

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen it done by replacing the Leica R flange with a custom Nikon flange. The one sample I know of includes the little dimples that provide the aperture click-stops. Fully manual operation of course but it's easily reversible for when the SL-10 becomes available.
    actually would rather change the Nikon body to Leica, as I want to use with a LOT of lenses, incl the modular telephotos (that one would NOT want to screw around with!)

I see on the Leica site (the one that discusses all the mounts and such) says that this has been done with other Nikon cameras. After all, it is ONLY 1700!

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Andrew Nemeth did it with a Nikon F body I believe.

Post Thanks / Like

anybody doing it now (the co that did before, and went out of business, left shavings in the body!

I think it was 450.

If someone will do it for 500 bucks, I will be try it; only money (as he ducks shots from the West LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Swapping flanges on the lens would be a MUCH cleaner conversion, not to mention easily reversible, and would leave the Nikon body usable with Nikon lenses. I've taken the flange (and aperture ring assembly) off the 280 f/4 APO. Mechanically it's a brilliant design and is very easy to service.

Oh yeah, I re-installed it too and it still works perfectly

Post Thanks / Like

Swapping flanges on the lens would be a MUCH cleaner conversion, not to mention easily reversible, and would leave the Nikon body usable with Nikon lenses. I've taken the flange (and aperture ring assembly) off the 280 f/4 APO. Mechanically it's a brilliant design and is very easy to service.

Oh yeah, I re-installed it too and it still works perfectly
    I think you are right. If I did get a D300 or D3 I would likely want the option of AF for some of the lenses (as well as the Zeiss option.)

anyway, what I mostly want it for is the modular for LONG telephoto. To get the stop action you need speed, for speed you need ISO.

So, any one out ther willing to tel me how to put an "F" flange on an R lens??
    Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogopix View Post
    So, any one out ther willing to tel me how to put an "F" flange on an R lens??
    This thread will help: http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=006X1a

Pay particular attention to the posts from Panya Wong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have sent an email to Panya advising him or our interest. I hope he gets it as it is a yahoo email adress and he hasn't posted on photo.net since 2006.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Peter
    He makes sound easy. not so sure.

Guy, didnt you have a tilt shify done the other way? (Nikon to Leica??)

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy's was Oly to Leica, if I remember correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Victor, my suggestion would be to just wait for the R10, but if they change the SLR mount it is good to know that at least there might be an adapter solution for the R lenses in the soon to come Sony "A900" or whatever the name will be ?

In his "Speculation on Sony" Mark Welsh (hubsand) writes:

"Another plus is the Minolta mount itself. Like Canon's EF mount (with a register of 44mm), it has a relatively short (44.6mm) flange distance, The significance of this will not be lost on many readers of this site, but for those not au fait with adapted lenses, the longer registration of Contax, Leica, Olympus, Nikon, Pentax, and Rollei lenses creates that crucial few mm in which to sandwich a mount adaptor. Planet Sony is about three years behind Canon when it comes to adapting lenses, but already there are serviceable AF-confirming M42 adaptors available enabling some great (and cheap) screw mount glass to be used with SSS, lest we forget on the Alphas."

The rest of it you can read here, it's a very interesting read:
    http://www.16-9.net/sony_in_2008.html

Steen

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shorter focal length R lenses are not that easy candidates for switching of their mounts.

Unlike Canon EOS mount (wide mouth), the Sony Alpha mount is fairly narrow. It isn't trivial at all to make an adapter (R lens to Alpha or Nikon F lens to Alpha mount) without corrective elements.

So, the choices are: wait for an R10 or switch to a better supported brand.

However, if you want to get the R lenses surgically (and permanently) modified to fit Nikon F cameras (stop down metering only), in principle, it is possible. Again, it is not trivial.

I have done it with a Summicron 50/2, as a trial. I would not do it again.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I was just about to order the ZF lenses and I decided to get a Hasselblad V to Nikon adapter instead. Cost $50. verses $3,000. 110/2FE @ ISO 12,800 ... Not bad ... LOL.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmb_ View Post
    Guy's was Oly to Leica, if I remember correctly.
    yes i went from Oly to leica R
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc,

Where did you find an adapter for $50. The Novoflex adapters sold by Adorama are closer to $500 (for both the Haring and Nika adaprers). Special order to boot...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Marc,

Where did you find an adapter for $50. The Novoflex adapters sold by Adorama are closer to $500 (for both the Haring and Nika adaprers). Special order to boot...
    There are a lot of H V to Nikon F on ebay under 100
    I think fotodiox has one for 79? maybe even 39?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIKON-to-Hasselb...QQcmdZViewItem

found it $49
    you8 have 40 minutes!

Post Thanks / Like

Fotodiox also sells pretty well any adapter you can think of. H to Nikon or EOS for roughly $80 IIRC. One of the better respected adapter makers. Don't know if Kindai (check kindai store on ebay) make any for medium format, but are a VERY well respected 35mm adapter maker. Their adapters are also sold under by Stephen Gandy under the Cameraquest brand.

Post Thanks / Like

Stay away from adapters from buyitjnow (or some such) on ebay - or at least examine carefully BEFORE using lens and frequently during use.

I normally opt for the most expensive option, only to come across someone who bought X from Y at 1/2 the price and has had it work like a charm for 10 yrs. So, decided to try the above route ($30) based on some input elsewhere that indicated adapter was ok, not perfect by any means, but did the job.

Adapter FINALLY arrived today (another issue with vendor) and tried it out. Note: I bought the V-Nikon adapter + a Nikon-EOS chipped adapter from Rudolph (happypagehk on ebay - adapter makes I trust) custom encoded for '110mm f2' so I could have exif data.

First off it seems that the mounting flanges on the V-Nikon adapter are thinner than normal. Took some serious tweaking of adjusters on HK Nikon-EOS adapter to get the two to fit snugly. Unusual.

So, using lens for some test shots (SWEET IQ and handling BTW) and noticed some movement. Thought at first I needed to do some more tweaking when noticed that it was the Nikon side of the V-Nikon adapter was loose. In effect, the adapter was coming apart. Language ensued.

Note: most adapters come in two sections - camera side and lens side attached together. This was no exception.

Well it appears as if the 4 tiny screws that hold the adapter sections together were coming lose FAST. I'd say I was a couple of shots away from the 110/2 F doing a swan dive. If any threadlock was used, I'll be damned if I can see it. More rather 'florid' language ensued.

Pulled the sucker apart, used some threadlock and re-torqued properly. Will be ordering Fotodiox and posting 'feedback' in morning. For the $30 it cost, it's not worth mailing back to HK with my 'compliments'.

May still use this one with due care until Fotodiox unit arrives, but not to any length (and without my hand firmly on lens) until I can tap some new holes for some larger diameter SS machine screws. There is more than enough room.

This was one of these examples of getting exactly what you paid for.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This V to Nikon adapter visually appears to be the same as the 2 I've been using for years: V to EOS and V to Leica R. I'll report back on it once it arrives to confirm that it's the same. They seem to be turned out of one piece, are well matted inside to discourage reflections, have a wide knurled twist band and a robust, simple push button release. The lens mount itself looks exactly like the EOS and Leica R mounts, screw size and all.

At first I bought into the Noveflex idea of a modular adapter ... good idea in therory, horrible in practice ... I sent back a new one I tried ... in a baggie full of springs and parts.

Post Thanks / Like

Let us know what you think.

I may still order the Fotodiox Pro version as the cheaper Fotodiox unit appears identical to the PoC I got. As usual, it appears to be a situation with a couple of shops OEMing the same product(s) through various retailers at varying prices.

As I await the new adapter, have re-secured the screws holding the Nikon mount to the turned Hasselblad piece with some Loctite 680 (think liquid welding...) vs the weaker Loctite 243 used last night.

As a side note, the screws used in this unit are smaller than those used in my various Leica-EOS or Nikon-Eos adapters. Not a great idea considering the extra leverage placed on them from the Hasselblad registration distance (e.g. the LONG adapter required).

aprillove20

Well, Nikon is absolutely great.