The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

f1.2

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I'm curious as a fast lens junkie, anyone have experience with any of Nikon's older and current f1.2 lenses. The 50/1.2, the 55/1.2 or the 58/1.2 Noct?

Kurt

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I picked up a copy of current 50/1,2 AIS version recently. I have been using it on D200. It is very soft at f1.2 with lower resolving power. The resolution improves after f4,0. But I quite like the "Bokeh" at f1,2, very smooth and pleasing. I am keeping it, considering it it not that expansive.

V

Vivek

I'm curious as a fast lens junkie, anyone have experience with any of Nikon's older and current f1.2 lenses. The 50/1.2, the 55/1.2 or the 58/1.2 Noct?

Kurt
I love this lens

taken at f/1.2 on a D200. The image was a jpg fine from the camera resized.
I normally do not use jpg outputs from any cameras. This was done just to test the lens.

My sample is the current version.

Key is getting the right focus which isn't trivial even when your eye sight is excellent.

Another absolute requirement that I find is to have an appropriately sized lenshood that matches the APS-C sensor coverage.

I use a stack of K rings as the hood.

I find it to be even better on a D300. The liveview helps a lot.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the offer Woody. I'm good for now if you read on further.

Good information, Ocean.

Great shot, Vivek. Looks like your eye sight is excellent.

I'm probably insane, but I found a Nikon Noct for a decent price last week that I'm going to try out. Maybe I'm just chasing the fast lens dragon, but I really think that I'd like to experiment with the lens on the D3 as a comparison with the Leica and the Noctilux.

I'll post a few shots when it arrives at the middle of the week.

Kurt

V

Vivek

Great shot, Vivek. Looks like your eye sight is excellent.

I'm probably insane, but I found a Nikon Noct for a decent price last week that I'm going to try out. Maybe I'm just chasing the fast lens dragon, but I really think that I'd like to experiment with the lens on the D3 as a comparison with the Leica and the Noctilux.

I'll post a few shots when it arrives at the middle of the week.

Kurt

Thanks, Kurt.

If the 50/1.2 AiS @f1.2 contradicts the popular view, it was not intended to make a contradictory statement or to show off good or bad eyesight.

Even with good eyesight, getting the right focus and correct (despite metring abilities of D200/300 or D3) exposure isn't trivial.

The Noct 58/1.2 adds an extra complication in that you can not focus and re-frame as with a Noctilux (or even a Canon 50/0.95) because of the pronounced field curvature that lens has.

Congrats on getting that lens. It is one rare beast. You can always find a buyer for it if it does not suit you. :)

On a D3, the 50/1.2 is reported to be fantastic.

fotografz

I love this lens

taken at f/1.2 on a D200. The image was a jpg fine from the camera resized.
I normally do not use jpg outputs from any cameras. This was done just to test the lens.

My sample is the current version.

Key is getting the right focus which isn't trivial even when your eye sight is excellent.

Another absolute requirement that I find is to have an appropriately sized lenshood that matches the APS-C sensor coverage.

I use a stack of K rings as the hood.

I find it to be even better on a D300. The liveview helps a lot.
Very good shot ... nothing to do with the photographer, but the Bokeh isn't so great ... lots of double lined worms. Same thing I found with the Zeiss ZF 50/1.4 ... which is very sharp and crisp but the Bokeh leaves a lot to be desired.

V

Vivek

Marc, I do not disagree with you. The OOF depends on the light and the subject.

I add here a couple of shots (close focus, false color UV captures but it give an idea on the Bokeh aspect) taken with the same lens.

That said, the only lens that I have which would give the best bokeh under any circumstances is a S-Sonnar 62/2.5 (the 100/2 ZF Macro appears to come close to this). The DOF falls off very rapidly such that anything outside the focused area is a creamy blur with pastel colors.

A

asabet

Very good shot ... nothing to do with the photographer, but the Bokeh isn't so great ... lots of double lined worms. Same thing I found with the Zeiss ZF 50/1.4 ... which is very sharp and crisp but the Bokeh leaves a lot to be desired.
Marc, are there any f/1.2 or faster 50mm SLR lenses that don't do this? The Canon 50/1.2L seems to have a bit less of this behavior than some of the others, but I can't put it on my Nikon bodies.