The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Reds in Lightroom / ACR D700

tjv

Anyone else experience what looks like posterizing in the reds when using Lightroom / ACR converting D700 files? Kind of looks like a mixture between over saturation and a strange hue values but I can't get rid of it despite trying. Kind of looks like plastic instead of fabric in the attached examples:

Any ideas?

tjv

PS: Keep in mind I've massaged this file for ages. Needed to process and print it for the mother in law as her cat passed away the other day and thought this image, taken on Christmas day, might cheer her up.

Have you checked with a different camera profile among those available in the drop down menu of camera calibation?
For me the D2X mode 1 usually works better than the one provided as default.
Cheers,
Ario

tjv

Have you checked with a different camera profile among those available in the drop down menu of camera calibation?
For me the D2X mode 1 usually works better than the one provided as default.
Cheers,
Ario
Good tip, thanks. I tried it and it does make quite a difference. Much more rendered detail in the fabric and an overall more pleasing saturation.

Has anyone out there made a calibrated profile for their D700 in Lightroom / ACR using an XRite target? I've got one coming but some guys reckon it'll make no real difference.

I tried the trial version of NX2 last night and it too looked better but it displayed completely wrong on my Mac, with weird fonts and unreadable menus, and it was realllllllly slow. I couldn't fix it no matter what menu I stumbled into.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The calibrated profile will no doubt improve things, although it tends to be specific to images shot under the same type of lighting as the calibration target. Adobe calibrate to a mix of lighting conditions (which in my view doesn't do a great job with any but that's my unashamed personal bias!). NX2 or Capture One would no doubt do a better job of the colour rendering.

The XRite ColorChecker Passport I do use and it works well. However, I don't think that this will help you as you need to use it or include it in an image at the time of shooting and so doesn't help much after the fact.

I'm intrigued by your Capture NX2 problems - what Mac & version of OS X & NX2 were you using?

tjv

I'm using the latest build of Snow Leopard and NX2 trial version 2.2.4.
Here's a screen grab of the menu to illustrate the font problems.

The calibrated profile will no doubt improve things, although it tends to be specific to images shot under the same type of lighting as the calibration target. Adobe calibrate to a mix of lighting conditions (which in my view doesn't do a great job with any but that's my unashamed personal bias!). NX2 or Capture One would no doubt do a better job of the colour rendering.

The XRite ColorChecker Passport I do use and it works well. However, I don't think that this will help you as you need to use it or include it in an image at the time of shooting and so doesn't help much after the fact.

I'm intrigued by your Capture NX2 problems - what Mac & version of OS X & NX2 were you using?

tjv

For some reason the web site is downsizing my attachment, not sure if you'll be able to see the image properly anyway. Will try again later.

GrahamWelland

I'm sure it won't help to know that I'm running NX2 2.2.4 on OS X 10.6.2 with a machine running 2x Radeon X1600 video cards and there are no font or display issues. What machine are you running on?

tjv

Hey again.
I've fixed the problem. When installing it something happened to my Font Book and some system fonts were duplicated in a weird way. I've never seen that happen before, but now it's fine. Problem is NX2 is so damn slow! The files look better but I'm too impatient to wait for it to continuously re-render each time I make a tweak.

I'm on a unibody MacBook Pro with 4gb of RAM. Lightroom etc runs sweet so I would have expected NX2 to be okay. Is this normal?

GrahamWelland

As much as I really, really like the results of NX2, it is sluggish even on bigger hardware. I persevere with 1-2 sec updates even on my 8-Core Mac Pro. I confess that I'm torn between NX2 and Capture One Pro in this respect.

tjv

Also, for those interested, Steen did a couple of conversions using Capture One Pro from my original NEF file for me to compare. When I've had a chance to look at and tweak them a bit I'll post as a comparison for all.