Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Okay, Lens Help Please.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Okay, Lens Help Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Alland View Post
    Jono, thanks for the explanation: I read the Björn's take on this and I'm sure he must be right on the problems of this lens on the D3, of which I wasn't aware.

On another subject: in another thread I reported that Thom Hogan thinks that the pixel density of the D300 is good for cropping and that for cropping the D300 is better in this way than the D3. As I find that I'm now cropping most of my D300 shots because I have gotten used to and prefer for compositional reasons the 4:3 aspect ratio of the Ricoh cameras to the 3:2 aspect ratio of the D300, I found this interesting. Do you have a view on this alleged pixel density advantage for copping of the D300?

—Mitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    HI Mitch
    sorry to be unclear on the 70-200
    I think this cropping bit (which Bjorn is also into) is more to do with field of view / lens than anything else. i.e. if you have a given lens, then you'll have higher definition per field of view with a smaller sensor camera.
    If it's that you're better cropping with a smaller sensor camera (with a higher pixel density), then I have to admit to being a little confused . . . but then, I'm often a little confused!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

200/2 is here. I like it.
    Last edited by fotografz; 25th June 2008 at 16:30.

Post Thanks / Like

Jono - congrats. Let us know what you think when you get some 'film' thru it.
    If you go the 50/2 ZF route, from all reports it's is arguably the best of the ZF line. Little or no CA (something my 35 and 100 did suffer from), sharp, macro (and F2) selective focus ability, little or no distortion, good bokeh... I'm out of ZF now, but if I went back - the 50 would be my choice.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    200/2 is here. I like it.

Hi Marc
    I'd like it too, but I'd use it about once a month, and at that price and size . . . . Next year maybe!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Jono - congrats. Let us know what you think when you get some 'film' thru it.
    If you go the 50/2 ZF route, from all reports it's is arguably the best of the ZF line. Little or no CA (something my 35 and 100 did suffer from), sharp, macro (and F2) selective focus ability, little or no distortion, good bokeh... I'm out of ZF now, but if I went back - the 50 would be my choice.
    Thank you Rob.
    Just now I'm rather seduced by the AF - it's so quick and accurate, I'm tempted by the Voigtlander 50 1.4, but can't decide on a macro just yet - the close focusing on the 24-70 will do for the spring flowers right now . . . and it would be diplomatic to tidy up my lens collection a bit before buying anything else (I got the 14-24, 24-70 and 70-300 cheapo)

The car goes for it's first service tomorrow . .. I just hope they don't think I need new tyres (19" oh noooo!)

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

Hi Marc
    I'd like it too, but I'd use it about once a month, and at that price and size . . . . Next year maybe!
    Yeah, definitely an expensive specialty lens. I have two key uses for it in mind ... wedding ceremony shots with the 1.4X, and wedding reception dance shots
    as a 200/2. I used to use my Canon 200/1.8 for some commercial shots, but I wished it were an IS at times.

I still have to bench test it to make sure the focus is spot on ... but it seems to be.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc nice thing is you can fine tune your AF to that lens in the menu. Pretty darn cool if you ask me
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

To Marc, re. my lens lineup:

14-24/2.8. Best wide I have ever used (speaking as an ex 21/2.8 Distagon owner)

24-70/2.8. Equally great.

70-200 VR. I shoot this wide open all the time for forestry commercial work.

1.4 TC Mk II. You lose a stop, but IQ is virtually identical. This extender used on the 70-200 (so, 100–280) makes sharper images on the D3 than the 70-200 on the D300. This surprised me.

Zeiss ZF macro 50/2 and 100/2. Enough folk have raved about these lenses so can save me typing this again

24/3.5 TS. This is in another universe compared to Canon's offering at this focal length

18-70/3.5-4.5 DX. Amazing for the money on the D300.

24-85/3.5-4.5. Equally good on either—small, light, cheezy, and optically excellent.

28-105/3.5-4.5. Cheap, rugged, good on either.

As some here may see, I have pared my lenses right down, but this is the best kit I have ever used, in over 30 years of photography.

I am waiting for the DP-1 and the E-420 plus pancake to arrive, strictly for walking around and amusing myself. Cheers to all, KL

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    To Marc, re. my lens lineup:

14-24/2.8. Best wide I have ever used (speaking as an ex 21/2.8 Distagon owner)

24-70/2.8. Equally great.

70-200 VR. I shoot this wide open all the time for forestry commercial work.

1.4 TC Mk II. You lose a stop, but IQ is virtually identical. This extender used on the 70-200 (so, 100–280) makes sharper images on the D3 than the 70-200 on the D300. This surprised me.

Zeiss ZF macro 50/2 and 100/2. Enough folk have raved about these lenses so can save me typing this again

24/3.5 TS. This is in another universe compared to Canon's offering at this focal length

18-70/3.5-4.5 DX. Amazing for the money on the D300.

24-85/3.5-4.5. Equally good on either—small, light, cheezy, and optically excellent.

28-105/3.5-4.5. Cheap, rugged, good on either.

As some here may see, I have pared my lenses right down, but this is the best kit I have ever used, in over 30 years of photography.

I am waiting for the DP-1 and the E-420 plus pancake to arrive, strictly for walking around and amusing myself. Cheers to all, KL
    Nice kit Kit, (sorry, had to say it : -) A few observations, and a question for you:

For me, moving to Nikon was a heavy financial decision, since I'm not divesting myself of the Canon gear except for a few less used lenses and a 1DMKIII body.

I've always liked Nikon, and am glad they have finally gone FF and provided one whopper of a jump in high ISO performance considering where they were before. That Zeiss also offers a nice lens line up in F mount played a role in the decision.

I am building my Nikon kit based on my needs and adding things that can help me better express my style while giving me an edge in certain areas of IQ. Super wide angle and perspective control are lesser used applications that I leave to other more capable pieces of gear. My interest lies in maximizing what the D3 already does so well ... available light work using high ISOs. Thus, the choice of f/2 prime optics or faster. My Canon and Leica M8 kits are built on the same principle.

That said, it's always wise to have a general application lens in the line up ... which I've yet to secure. With my Canon system that lens is a Zeiss N24-85/3.5 with a fully coupled Canon AF mount.

For the Nikon, I am at a loss. The new 24-70/2.8 is most likely the choice ... but I wish it were at least a 24-85 and a VR lens.

Kit, does the front barrel of the 24-70 extend in and out of the lens lke the Canon version? I found this to be the Achilles heel of those type lenses over time.

Post Thanks / Like

Another shot with Nikon D50 + 200mm F2VR AFS

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    Another shot with Nikon D50 + 200mm F2VR AFS

Nice.

Here's a test shot to check Bokeh and how well the 200/2 "dissolves" OOF objects. The inset showing the subject from the side demonstrates how far apart the two candle sticks were when I shot them stacked one in front of the other.

I need to use this lens for a real subject, real soon ... LOL!
    Last edited by fotografz; 25th June 2008 at 16:30.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

mark:
    it does extend

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That 200 F2 looks very nice guy's. Brings back a few 180 f2 apo memories
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice shots with the 200 VR guys... sweet lens for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is on my wish-list. Personally, I liked walking around with the 180/2. I found a lot of uses for that lens. I'm certain that I'd feel the same with the 200VR ... with the added bonus of AF. If only it were $750 like the 180/2.8.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Kurt
    I tried that before, walking around with Nikon 200/2 VR
    It's not a good idea
    It's so heavy...!! the lens alone already weight around 3KG + 1 KG (Nikon D3) = 4 KG...!!!
    It's killing my hand and my neck
    >,<
    hahahahaha
    Andree

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    Hi Kurt
    I tried that before, walking around with Nikon 200/2 VR
    It's not a good idea
    It's so heavy...!! the lens alone already weight around 3KG + 1 KG (Nikon D3) = 4 KG...!!!
    It's killing my hand and my neck
    >,<
    hahahahaha
    Andree
    Yeah, the 200/2, or any of those uber-quick 180/200s are shoulder slumping, lumbar crushing optics ... a real arguement for rolling bags and under paid assistants ... LOL.

My secret is a beefy Gitzo carbon fiber mono-pod with a really, really secure head and double locking QR ... which allows you to shoulder the set-up lke a rifle. I've carried a MF set-up that way for hours at a wedding and in 3 feet of powdered snow in Yellowstone.