Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Okay, Lens Help Please.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay, Lens Help Please.

Problem solved with the dim view finder. Pretty strange, but all's well that ends well.

It's been awhile since I shot Nikon (should have kept that 28/1.4 ... Grrrrrr.)

Now I've got the 17-35/2.8 and the 85/1.4 is winging it's way to me right now ... not interested in the new 14-24 no matter how good it is (I'd just fondle it but it'd never get used.)

Can't find a 200/2VR which I'd like to get ... but also need something in-between.

Nikon's lens selection seems slim compared to Canon.

Any suggestions?

(Can Leica R be adapted ... if so, which ones?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Okay, Lens Help Please.

Sadly - we cant use Leica R on Nikon mount.

Have had the D3 for a week and climbing learning curve. I like the menu system and the programmable features as well as the way you can dial in non auofocus lenses and retirive them from menu when you shoot.

Re lenses, I very much like the Zeiss 100/2 - but the Nikon 105 is no slouch if you want autofocus. I love the Zeiss 28/2 one of the very best lenses I have ever owned (already) creamy bokeh, sharp as a tack and smooth silky focussing throw. it is pretty much stuck on the camera.

Like you currently not interested in the zoom wide, no matter how good the 14-24 zoom is supposed to be - I shoot wide with different formats. I hear great things about the 70-200VR also ( much lighter than canon equivalent) - but again I have the 70-180/2.8 Leica.

What a pity we cant use the Leica glass on Nikon....a perfect pairing with the awesome high ISO capability these D3's have.. Love the flash capability of Nikon - much easier and smarter than Canon.

Would like to hear your views on the 35-70 zoom. Again I have the Leica version and never liked the canon version.

i hear people changing focusing screens I think the standard screen is very good. The battery is a beauty.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc ,Zeiss 28 F2 WINNER just playing with it and I love the 85 1.4 also.Hold on to the 17-35 it works real nice for event stuff.

Here just a few quickies trying it out
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

1 F2
    2 F4
    3 F5.6
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

tph3723

Thanks for sharing Guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow, looks tack sharp even at f2. Nice !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc, read David Farkas post # 8 about "AF" vs. "AF-S" in this thread:
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...9155#post19155

And then read my own post # 10 about Nikon being behind with regards to updating their wide-normal-shorttele primes to AF-S versions:
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...4913#post14913

Finally maybe read my post # 109 about the improving glass situation, here:
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...tuation&page=6

I hope this can make for an initial inspiration.
    Steen
    Last edited by Steen; 10th April 2008 at 01:38.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Z28 at 5.6 I played with this image

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's really early in the morning and we are heading out to shoot this morning at Point Lobos on the workshop . So hopefully I can try this some more with the Zeiss lenses there very very nice a little CA wide open on all of them but not bad . This is at F8 very sharp. These images really are just around our hotel when on a break but gives you a pretty good idea on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is the purple fringing at F2 . Full image . I was looking for exactly this.

Full image
    100 percent crop
    100 percent crop fixed with PS plug in

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So reality is still very good and easy to correct. I'm sure it goes away stopped down a touch . I consider this fairly normal for high speed lenses although Leica in general they handle this pretty well but even my 28 cron will do this.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the ZF28 much bigger than the 'cron 28?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll tell you what my lens lineup settled on after playing with a lot of different Nikon and Zeiss lenses.

ZF 28/2.0
    ZF 50/2.0 Macro
    Nikon 105/2.8 Macro VR
    Nikon 24-70/2.8
    Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR
    Nikon TC-17EII teleconvertor

Like you I have no interest in the 12-24.

I also have the SB-800 for a great flash and the Brightscreen #2 Large Microprism Spot Screen.

This makes for a great kit from 24-200 (340 with the convertor).

The primes are very good, but so are these two zooms. I often take the Lowepro Flipside 300 backpack with just the D3, 24-70, 70-200, teleconverter, and SB-800 flash., to cover everything.

As you may have read I have tried all of the Zeiss glass and much of the Nikon, to settle on this kit. WORKS GREAT!!!!!!!

At some point in time, I will probably add the 200-400 for airshow work.

Best,

Ray

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No Manual focus stuff for me. Thanks for the recommends, but I've had my fill of it on 35mm DSLRs. AF all the way for this camera : -)

Gotta locate the 200/2 VR.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    No Manual focus stuff for me. Thanks for the recommends, but I've had my fill of it on 35mm DSLRs. AF all the way for this camera : -)

Gotta locate the 200/2 VR.
    When I was looking for some of the Nikon zooms that were out of stock at all the familiar places....I just posted a where can I find it in FM,NikonCafe ,Nikonians . Never took even half a day. Lots of Nikon dealers with no web inventory . Someone is always walking in and you get a post almost immediately. Also a call to some of the larger stores will get a result. Like Roberts Imaging, Calumet etc. I got this advice from some long time Nikon users.

Post Thanks / Like

The difference in registration depth between Nikon and Leica is 0.5mm -- too thin for a workable adapter.

That said, if you could live with MF, I'm sure some bright spark could remove the R mount from say a 180/2.0 APO and install a mount of the suitable diameter/taper and thickness (taking registration distance from 46.5mm to 47mm) with the properly machined F mount flanges - or something similarly workable. I know the F mount diameter is narrow, but can't how it compares to Leica R, so that could cause some head-scratching.

All you need is a spare copy of your face R's to convert to F mount ;> Or wait until Zeiss expands their line up and down the FL range (rumored to be coming).
    Last edited by robmac; 10th April 2008 at 10:51.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by harmsr View Post
    I'll tell you what my lens lineup settled on after playing with a lot of different Nikon and Zeiss lenses.

ZF 28/2.0
    ZF 50/2.0 Macro
    Nikon 105/2.8 Macro VR
    Nikon 24-70/2.8
    Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR
    Nikon TC-17EII teleconvertor

Like you I have no interest in the 12-24.

I also have the SB-800 for a great flash and the Brightscreen #2 Large Microprism Spot Screen.

This makes for a great kit from 24-200 (340 with the convertor).

The primes are very good, but so are these two zooms. I often take the Lowepro Flipside 300 backpack with just the D3, 24-70, 70-200, teleconverter, and SB-800 flash., to cover everything.

As you may have read I have tried all of the Zeiss glass and much of the Nikon, to settle on this kit. WORKS GREAT!!!!!!!

At some point in time, I will probably add the 200-400 for airshow work.

Best,

Ray
    Ray

I know you say that you are not interested in the 14-24 for all the obvious reasons. But I tell you that if you shoot some of the scenes which require this lens you will find that you love it. It is addicting! Just MHO. YMMV

Woody

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Ray

I know you say that you are not interested in the 14-24 for all the obvious reasons. But I tell you that if you shoot some of the scenes which require this lens you will find that you love it. It is addicting! Just MHO. YMMV

Woody
    Almost never use those focal lengths when shooting with a DSLR Woody. I know it's a great lens, but that's a lot of money for something I'd use twice and then sell it. I want the 200/2 VR which I'll use a lot at weddings when shooting in a dark church from the balcony.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Almost never use those focal lengths when shooting with a DSLR Woody. I know it's a great lens, but that's a lot of money for something I'd use twice and then sell it. I want the 200/2 VR which I'll use a lot at weddings when shooting in a dark church from the balcony.
    Marc

I am with you my friend. I would love the the 200 2.00 as I assume it is much like the 180 2.0 Leica for the DMR. Howeverm, having said that,I would still like to have thw14-24. Did some shots today inside the bedroom which could not have been done any other way, JMHO YMMV

Woody

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Woody,

I'm like Marc, that I don't shoot the DSLR in the 14-24 range. However, I do agree it is a great lens from some shots that I was able to take with it. It is just not something I would hardly ever use.

Marc,

That 200/2.0 is a VERY NICE lens, but have you seen how large (HUGE) it is? Better start lifting weights. Seriously, you really might want to try the 70-200/2.8 VR lens. The 70-200 is a killer lens in a reasonable size, and with the D3 you might not really have to worry about the loss of one stop. Just a suggestion, because the 200 is HUGE. It is really a tripod mounted lens only.

Best,

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc, Thomas Hogan has made a visually nice list of the zoom lenses.
    He also says he is going to make a similar list of the primes in about a month.

He is using these color indications:

Green = DX consumer zoom
    Red = DX pro zoom
    Blue = FX consumer zoom
    Yellow = FX pro zoom

At the bottom of the page you can see the Professional FX Zoom Kit:
    http://www.bythom.com/nikonlens.htm

Hope it is a bit of a help in order to gain a general view.
    Steen

Mitch Alland

...I know you say that you are not interested in the 14-24 for all the obvious reasons...
    Woody, what are the obvious reasons, bulging front element and no filters?

—Mitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Post Thanks / Like

Nevermind...

Mitch Alland

What is it? Do I have to know the secret handshake to find out?

—Mitch/Bangkok

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mitch

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you on this one.

I was referring to the reasons why Marc and Ray did not feel the need for any lens this wide. Of course the other reasons people are concerned is the lack of filters and the bulging front element with chance for damage.

I do like to shoot wide and am not very concerned with the "other" issues. I find the files from the D3 using this lens to be superb. So to me, the cost is not that high and the value is very high. JMHO

Woody

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc,

I had the 200/2 VR for a while before I got my D3. The lens is amazing but with 6400 ISO available you can probably get the shot without it. Of course if you're looking for the creamy bokeh, that glass will give it to you.

Mitch Alland

Thanks, Woody. That's my take as well on this lens; and I'm not bothered by the lack of filter thread or the front element bulge. When buying my D300 three weeks ago I was considering it and the new 24-70mm f/2.8, but, with the D300 1.5x factor, found the coverage of the 17-35mm f/2.8, which gives me 25.5-52.5mm EFOV in one lens, to be more convenient and, so far, the latter lens looks very good to me.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Alland View Post
    What is it? Do I have to know the secret handshake to find out?

—Mitch/Bangkok
    LOL. No, I originally posted that Amazon had the 200VR, as it came up in stock on a couple of searches. But when you go to Amazon, it says "usually ships in 1-3 months." I should have edited the post differently. Why can't we delete posts here, at least within a few minutes of posting? Seems like that would solve some double posts, too.

Mitch Alland

Heh, heh. Here in Bangkok this lens in readily available in camera stores. Impressively, when I bought my D300 and two lenses the saleswoman, all on 22 years was able to answer all the technical questions I asked: I then found out that she's a Nikon employee seconded to the store. Good training by Nikon.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Marc,

I had the 200/2 VR for a while before I got my D3. The lens is amazing but with 6400 ISO available you can probably get the shot without it. Of course if you're looking for the creamy bokeh, that glass will give it to you.
    Thanks David. B&H just alerted me of immediate availability and I'll have it on Tuesday. Ordered the AFS 1.4X and the drop in Polarizer with it. 280/2.8 VR with extender... not bad.

I know it's a beast, but it's a tad less heavy than my Canon 200/1.8 was, and it has VR where the Canon didn't.

I have some specific uses for this lens that will keep it busy. I'll need the f/2, VR and the high ISO of the Nikon to accomplish the tasks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, Woody. That's my take as well on this lens; and I'm not bothered by the lack of filter thread or the front element bulge. When buying my D300 three weeks ago I was considering it and the new 24-70mm f/2.8, but, with the D300 1.5x factor, found the coverage of the 17-35mm f/2.8, which gives me 25.5-52.5mm EFOV in one lens, to be more convenient and, so far, the latter lens looks very good to me.

—Mitch/Bangkok
    Mitch

The 17-35 was and is one of my favorite lenses. Flare control is tremendous and colors and contrast very good. Just felt that with the D3 the 24-70 is a better choice. Couldn't agree more with your logic re the D300

Happy shooting

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Lloyd has an excellent paid review of the ZF line up. Well worth the cost if you are considering purchasing a few.

http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/ReviewInfo.html

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I do like to shoot wide and am not very concerned with the "other" issues. I find the files from the D3 using this lens to be superb. So to me, the cost is not that high and the value is very high. JMHO

Woody
    Hi Woody
    I hope you're well
    I'm dithering on the brink of buying a D3 (with the 24-70 as a starter). If I go ahead the next lens would be the 14-24, I'm not worried about filters or bulges either, but I am worried about soft corners with vegetation!.

How good is it wide open at 14mm?

Just this guy you know

Mitch Alland

Jono, do you really like shooting landscapes with a 14 or 16mm lens? I would limit myself to 21mm at the widest, and would be interested in the 14-24mm for FX fomat only for it's 21mm capability, which means that, for me, it would only make sense for a DX camera like the D300.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Post Thanks / Like

Jono - check:

www.photozone.de or www.16-9.net for full reviews of the 'miracle from Nikon' and in the case of 16-9 tests against the Leica 19, etc., Chasseur D'Image also gives it 5 stars.

If your French is up to the task, the latest issue (in NA) tests a whack of old and new Nikon glass on the D3 and 300 - including the 14-24.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, do you really like shooting landscapes with a 14 or 16mm lens? I would limit myself to 21mm at the widest, and would be interested in the 14-24mm for FX fomat only for it's 21mm capability, which means that, for me, it would only make sense for a DX camera like the D300.

—Mitch/Bangkok
    HI Mitch
    Absolutely - I don't only shoot wide angle of course, but I think it's because our 'landscapes' are so much about the sky (it's pretty damned flat around here!).
    Here are a couple of samples from the last few days:

These were all taken with the E3 and the (remarkable) 7-14mm F4 lens (it's about the same size as the Nikon 14-24, and the same range).

I'm really not interested in the D300 - it's probably a marginal improvement on the E3 for low light, but in good light the E3 works well, and there are some excellent mid range lenses (unlike Nikon).

Right now I could do with the D3 for some wedding work (I got lumbered) because of the low light, but the carrot is the D3x, and if these lenses are as good as they're reviewed, then it's a tempting step
    Last edited by jonoslack; 13th April 2008 at 09:29. Reason: added a bit

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Jono - check:

www.photozone.de or www.16-9.net for full reviews of the 'miracle from Nikon' and in the case of 16-9 tests against the Leica 19, etc., Chasseur D'Image also gives it 5 stars.

If your French is up to the task, the latest issue (in NA) tests a whack of old and new Nikon glass on the D3 and 300 - including the 14-24.
    Thank you Rob
    that 14-24 seems popular doesn't it! the 16-9 review is very persuasive (corners are what usually bugs me about wide angle, and it's where the m8 seems to win out).

thanks again

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

No worries. Certainly looks like Nikon have reset a couple of bars for Canon et al this season.. All the better for everyone.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks to everyone for the input. Much appreciated.

Here's where I netted out for now and the remainder of the lenses are on their way:

D3, AF17-35/2.8, Zeiss 50/2 macro, Nikon AF85/1.4, Zeiss 100/2 Macro, Nikon AF135/2DC, Nikon AF200/2 VR, 1.4X, V to Nikon adapter= all Zeiss CFi/CFE and FE lenses I already own.

Gotta sell some more stuff : -)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Marc, when the AF135/2DC arrives, could you post a picture or two from the lens? I'm curious to see how it performs. Thanks.

Kurt

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by KurtKamka View Post
    Hi Marc, when the AF135/2DC arrives, could you post a picture or two from the lens? I'm curious to see how it performs. Thanks.

Kurt
    Kurt, I used to use that lens before swapping to Canon. It's very sharp with the DC set to zero which is the way I used it 99% of the time and will again. I will play with it and post some shots for you when I test it ... including doing some DC stuff.

Stay tuned at the end of the week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I pulled another move yesterday that I hope made sense. I traded the Zeiss 50 1.4 and the Nikon 60 macro for the Zeiss 50 f2 macro. Ray called me and we talked about it and he really likes the 50 f2 both for macro and normal distances and thinks this is better than both of them. One less lens in the bag not a bad idea either. In my effort to get the ZD MF i had to give up the 17-35 to make it all work. Not that I wanted too and I only planned on getting a D3 and changed my mind and had to stretch my purse a lot to get the ZD something had to give. I will get that lens back at some point but right now it seems i am packed with Zeiss glass. 28 f2, 50 f2 and 85 1.4 and of course the 180 2.8. I had to give up the Nikon 24mm shift too but will replace that in the ZD. I truly hate selling gear to get other gear. Because i always want something back. The 17-35 is one of those.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I've seen from the 50/2 and read in LC's review - you should be a happy camper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's what i am thinking also. Now with three systems I feel a little weak with lenses. Down to 4 for the M8 and Nikon 4 and Zd it will be 2 . The Leica just need my 12 back, Nikon my 17-35 back and the ZD need to get a 55mm. So i am not far away from being full strength again. I was just not prepared to buy the ZD but the price was so darn good , i had to be nuts not to jump on it. Life is full of compromises. I know been married a long time

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Well I pulled another move yesterday that I hope made sense. I traded the Zeiss 50 1.4 and the Nikon 60 macro for the Zeiss 50 f2 macro. Ray called me and we talked about it and he really likes the 50 f2 both for macro and normal distances and thinks this is better than both of them. One less lens in the bag not a bad idea either. In my effort to get the ZD MF i had to give up the 17-35 to make it all work. Not that I wanted too and I only planned on getting a D3 and changed my mind and had to stretch my purse a lot to get the ZD something had to give. I will get that lens back at some point but right now it seems i am packed with Zeiss glass. 28 f2, 50 f2 and 85 1.4 and of course the 180 2.8. I had to give up the Nikon 24mm shift too but will replace that in the ZD. I truly hate selling gear to get other gear. Because i always want something back. The 17-35 is one of those.
    The move on the 50/1.4 was a good one. The Bokeh on the Zeiss 50/1.4 is awful, and it always has been even for the Zeiss N50/1.4 version. I got the 50/2 marco also : -) We'll have to compare notes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sounds good Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi There
    Now I'm a Nikon victim as well. I went to 'look' today and came away with a D3 and the 14-24 and 24-70 . . . I also got a cheap 70-300 VR lens, as reports on the 70-200 don't sound promising, it's not a greatly used focal length for me anyway.
    I want a small 50 as well - maybe the Zeiss f2 is the way to go, although the Voigtlander Nokton 50 f1.4 sounds tempting (and it's cheap as chips here).

Hrumph, now I must tidy up my Leica lens collection (11 is too many) and get a little money back!

Just this guy you know

Mitch Alland

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi There
    Now I'm a Nikon victim as well...I also got a cheap 70-300 VR lens, as reports on the 70-200 don't sound promising, it's not a greatly used focal length for me anyway...
    Jono, congratulations on your new camera; but I must step in to defend the honour of the 70-200 lens, which I find spectacular. I've seen a few reports on the Nikon Forum on photo.net in which some people felt that the corners were not sharp, but I haven't seen this. As this is not an important focal length for you the 70-300 should be adequate for you, but otherwise I would have said you'd made a mistake.

—Mitch/Bangkok

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, congratulations on your new camera; but I must step in to defend the honour of the 70-200 lens, which I find spectacular. I've seen a few reports on the Nikon Forum on photo.net in which some people felt that the corners were not sharp, but I haven't seen this. As this is not an important focal length for you the 70-300 should be adequate for you, but otherwise I would have said you'd made a mistake.

—Mitch/Bangkok
    HI Mitch - I'm sorry, you missed my point.
    I used to own this lens with my D2x and D200, it was splendid. The criticism is with the full frame sensor.

Here is an example:

naturfotograph

Bjorn is not a guy to criticise unnecessarily, I've seen other reports as well. Certainly the 70-300 isn't such a good lens, but it's also around 1/4 the price, and it does have a good writeup - It'll do the job until I can work out something better.
    Last edited by jonoslack; 15th April 2008 at 10:40. Reason: adding a bit

Just this guy you know

Mitch Alland

Jono, thanks for the explanation: I read the Björn's take on this and I'm sure he must be right on the problems of this lens on the D3, of which I wasn't aware.

On another subject: in another thread I reported that Thom Hogan thinks that the pixel density of the D300 is good for cropping and that for cropping the D300 is better in this way than the D3. As I find that I'm now cropping most of my D300 shots because I have gotten used to and prefer for compositional reasons the 4:3 aspect ratio of the Ricoh cameras to the 3:2 aspect ratio of the D300, I found this interesting. Do you have a view on this alleged pixel density advantage for copping of the D300?

—Mitch/Bangkok