Site Sponsors

Thread: NEF's to DNG Question

Post Thanks / Like

NEF's to DNG Question

Hello All :

At present I use a Mac and Adobe PS CS3 - I am on the verge of updating to a D3s. I will not be able to update my Mac and CS3 to CS4 all at the same time and find that the priority is the camera from an assignment and purchase perspective.

CS3's ACR will not permit access to .nef produced by a D3s - I have never worked with DNG files nor converted .nefs to DNGs from a D3s - Thus will the following work ?

1. Convert the D3s's .nefs to DNG and then have PS CS3's ACR open the DNGs for accurate conversions to PSD or TIFF ?

Is the above the only extra step one has to go through in the workflow - Am I missing anything else ?

Do confirm.

Thanks,

Jai

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: NEF's to DNG Question

Quote Originally Posted by jvora View Post
    CS3's ACR will not permit access to .nef produced by a D3s
    Are you postive about that?
    No way to upgrade ACR independently to the PS version?

Post Thanks / Like

You're correct. I hate how Adobe don't allow you to install updates to ACR for new cameras as soon as a new version of PS comes out. It's a nightmare for me teaching at an institution. It's almost impossible to keep up.

In short - use Adobe DNG converter, then you should be able to open as normal in ACR CS3.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just went through this on the m4/3 thread, with a new Panasonic GH1 but only CS3.

One solution is to download the newest version of Adobe's free DNG converter, be sure to set "Compatibility" to "4.6 or later" (the default is "5.4 or later", which won't work with CS3), and convert your raws to DNGs using it. As long as you use "4.6 or later", then CS3 and the version of ACR that came with it will be able to read the DNGs.

Lisa

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lisa - excuse my ignorance but where (or at what stage) do you set the compatability to 4.6 or later? I've just visited the DNG site and it was not clear.
    Thanks in advance
    David

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You download and install the latest version of the DNG converter. When you go to run it, there is a button labeled "Change Preferences", and one of the things you can change is "Compatibility".

Lisa

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys - This give me the "go ahead" to get the D3s : )

Lisa, your input to change settings in the prefs is real good info - Will do it !

Jai

Post Thanks / Like

I used the DNG converter with the GF1 and CS3 and found that it worked fine, but it was terribly slow to make the conversion on my computer. Seems like it took twenty minutes for a hundred images.