The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

has anybody tried PB-5 bellows with a DSLR ?

thetooth

i just did a google search and Nikon is saying don't use pb-5 bellows with a DSLR only use pb-6 .

so i found this article where the guy has successfully mounted a DSLR to pb-5
http://www.mattclara.com/misc/nikonbellows/index.html .

just wondering if anybody had a experience with either bellows and were happy with the results ?

thanks

tim

if you have any shots feel free to post them

i included fly shot with tech pan

Shac

Hi yes I use the PB-4 (which is v. similar to the PB-5) with the D60, 300 & 700 - no problems except in attaching the 300/700 - need to rotate the belllows bayonet to the vertical (portait) position to mount the bodies. Haven't any pics worth posting right now, but have also used it with a EL-Nikkor 105/5.6 to good effect

thetooth

thanks for the info Shac . i am looking at getting my first dslr and one of my favorite things to use with my nikon manual focus bodies is the bellows . i imagine with a dslr the bellows will be even more fun with the instant gratification of digital .

thanks

tim

Last edited:
C

chrisssteeven

i am thinking about a PB5 bellows and a non AIS 50mm/1.4. how is the best way to get the correct exposure? do i need a special cable for the shutter release? will the non AIS lens hook to my N80 without damaging the body. i know it will not meter of AF, i am just worrid about possibly hurting my unit. willa 50mm AIS lens be a better choice? also, how do i determine the exposure for slide copying? thankyou

thetooth

Hello Chris

check my link in the first post it should help you some . i don't have a answer for the non -ai lens on the bellows but i have read that the 50mm1.4 is not the best choice for macro work . the 50mm 1.8 is better . this is what i use 50mm 1.8d af lens .

as for the exposure i use a fm2n with the bellows to maintain metering plus it's easier to focus with a micro prism screen , there is a way to calculate exposure with a hand held meter and factoring in for the length your bellows are extended but i don't know the formula .

do not put a non ai lens directly on the n80 body that may harm the electronics of the camera .

you can mount a ais lens but with out any meter function . better of with the n80 to use af lenses .

hope this helps some

thetooth

Tim - yes - also, depending on the camera you buy, live view is also possible
yes i saw a video of the live view in action . pretty neat . the guy shooting the video said it was a slow process but so is certain bellows macro work :) .

i have not decided on a body yet i may wait until the PMA is over to see what is being announced . it might have a affect on the current bodies for sale ( like the d90 or d300s ) .