Site Sponsors

Thread: has anybody tried PB-5 bellows with a DSLR ?

Post Thanks / Like

has anybody tried PB-5 bellows with a DSLR ?

i just did a google search and Nikon is saying don't use pb-5 bellows with a DSLR only use pb-6 .

so i found this article where the guy has successfully mounted a DSLR to pb-5
    http://www.mattclara.com/misc/nikonbellows/index.html .

just wondering if anybody had a experience with either bellows and were happy with the results ?

thanks

tim

if you have any shots feel free to post them

i included fly shot with tech pan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: has anybody tried PB-5 bellows with a DSLR ?

Hi yes I use the PB-4 (which is v. similar to the PB-5) with the D60, 300 & 700 - no problems except in attaching the 300/700 - need to rotate the belllows bayonet to the vertical (portait) position to mount the bodies. Haven't any pics worth posting right now, but have also used it with a EL-Nikkor 105/5.6 to good effect

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info Shac . i am looking at getting my first dslr and one of my favorite things to use with my nikon manual focus bodies is the bellows . i imagine with a dslr the bellows will be even more fun with the instant gratification of digital .

thanks

tim
    Last edited by thetooth; 8th February 2010 at 16:46.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tim - yes - also, depending on the camera you buy, live view is also possible

chrisssteeven

i am thinking about a PB5 bellows and a non AIS 50mm/1.4. how is the best way to get the correct exposure? do i need a special cable for the shutter release? will the non AIS lens hook to my N80 without damaging the body. i know it will not meter of AF, i am just worrid about possibly hurting my unit. willa 50mm AIS lens be a better choice? also, how do i determine the exposure for slide copying? thankyou

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Chris

check my link in the first post it should help you some . i don't have a answer for the non -ai lens on the bellows but i have read that the 50mm1.4 is not the best choice for macro work . the 50mm 1.8 is better . this is what i use 50mm 1.8d af lens .

as for the exposure i use a fm2n with the bellows to maintain metering plus it's easier to focus with a micro prism screen , there is a way to calculate exposure with a hand held meter and factoring in for the length your bellows are extended but i don't know the formula .

do not put a non ai lens directly on the n80 body that may harm the electronics of the camera .

you can mount a ais lens but with out any meter function . better of with the n80 to use af lenses .

hope this helps some

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shac View Post
    Tim - yes - also, depending on the camera you buy, live view is also possible
    yes i saw a video of the live view in action . pretty neat . the guy shooting the video said it was a slow process but so is certain bellows macro work .

i have not decided on a body yet i may wait until the PMA is over to see what is being announced . it might have a affect on the current bodies for sale ( like the d90 or d300s ) .