Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Nikon Lenses Announced

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New Nikon Lenses Announced

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    Dpreview's samples are always poor. I very much look forward to reading a comparison of this new Nikon f1.4 with the Leica. I'm willing to bet there isn't much in it but I'd be lying if I didn't think the Leica would be better...
    At 3x the asking price, don't you think a comparison is a bit pointless? Otherwise you'll have to get into what the definition of "better" is, as well as a definition of "value for money". Finally finding people in the process of deciding whether to buy a Nikon or Leica 24/1.4 would probably be even more difficult.

I mean, my Saab priced new was 1/3 the price of a new Porsche but comparison was a bit pointless there too.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    At 3x the asking price, don't you think a comparison is a bit pointless? Otherwise you'll have to get into what the definition of "better" is, as well as a definition of "value for money". Finally finding people in the process of deciding whether to buy a Nikon or Leica 24/1.4 would probably be even more difficult.

I mean, my Saab priced new was 1/3 the price of a new Porsche but comparison was a bit pointless there too.
    What's wrong with comparing the performance of two lenses of the same focal length and speed? If I still shot Leica then the Nikon lens wouldn't be any good to me regardless and visa versa but without these comparisons companies like Leica, or Nikon for that matter, could claim what they want and charge what they want without fair proof their product was "worth it." I put that in quotation marks because I guess that's your point, to whom is something worth it and on what level. I'd sure prefer holding the Leica lens in my hand so I guess that counts for something!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    What's wrong with comparing the performance of two lenses of the same focal length and speed? If I still shot Leica then the Nikon lens wouldn't be any good to me regardless and visa versa but without these comparisons companies like Leica, or Nikon for that matter, could claim what they want and charge what they want without fair proof their product was "worth it." I put that in quotation marks because I guess that's your point, to whom is something worth it and on what level. I'd sure prefer holding the Leica lens in my hand so I guess that counts for something!
    If you put it that way, sure. But it's still difficult (impossible?) to define an objectively sensible measurement that relates a lens' performance to its price. All you can say is "it's better". From that standpoint, a comparison with the Canon 24/1.4L would be far more relevant, as that's obviously the real competition in the marketplace.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To be honest I find even the comparisons between Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony, & Olympus glass somewhat a waste of time too. I'm fully paid up as a Nikon system shooter so the chances of swapping systems on the basis of one lens is minimal to non existent. I suspect the same is true of those folks shooting the other systems too.

A Nikon to Leica comparison is certainly academically interesting but ultimately unless it can be mounted on my D3x as an AF lens then it's somewhat moot to me. The only thing it could serve to do for me personally would be to upset me if I were to find out that it out performed my Leica glass. (Or provide internet fora bragging rights for Leica folks).

Now the reviews I'd love to see would be comparison between the old 28/1.4 and the new 24/1.4. That's the kind of thing that'll get more Nikon folks interested I'm sure. (I LOVE my 28/1.4 but suspect that it'll get trounced in a direct comparison given 16+ years of refinement).

Dear Nikon: how about that 35/2 replacement?

Post Thanks / Like

How about a modern AF 34 f1.4 replacement while they're at it!
    I've been shooting Zeiss and my eyes are not up to the task any more to manual focus so a good, fast Nikon 35mm prime would be what I'd love to see.

Post Thanks / Like

Must also say that I find lens comparisons - especially if one compares rather the high end glass of different vendors - pretty useless. They are all on a very equal level if you look at the complete picture.

I find it more important how a complete system compares to another system - handling, resolution, high ISO, availability of special parts which one might need, AF capabilities and easy to use of the system (camera). This makes the real daily big difference, not if the 1.4/24 from vendor A, B or C is better in some areas or similar the 2.8/300 or 2.8/70-200 etc. etc.

What also is more important is how innovative a vendor is WRT new lenses, new glass types, new technologies (sensor, etc) because this will offer totally new possibilities with a given system.

I must say I find myself somehow locked with Sony in this regards - Canon as well as Nikon are a bit more active there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's interesting...I feel the complete opposite. For me, the lenses are the most important part of the photographic equipment hierarchy (at least for anything other than large format film), so I am always interested to see how they compare.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    That's interesting...I feel the complete opposite. For me, the lenses are the most important part of the photographic equipment hierarchy (at least for anything other than large format film), so I am always interested to see how they compare.
    Issue is that high end lenses from each vendor are all pretty close.

Sometimes I am not even sure if they develop and produce not for each other.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yep and the closer to perfection you get the lesser the differences so eventually the differences get irrelevant. when it comes to measurable quantities such as resolution etc, that is. There are of course some subjective qualities that cannot be objectively measured.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    Yep and the closer to perfection you get the lesser the differences so eventually the differences get irrelevant. when it comes to measurable quantities such as resolution etc, that is. There are of course some subjective qualities that cannot be objectively measured.
    I think this hits the nail on the head. No matter the objective criteria for a moment, all these lenses have a look of their own. The old Nikon 28 1.4 had a decidedly different look from, say, the Leica. In fact that lens didn't look like most Nikon lenses either. However people loved its look and paid a lot of money to get it! Bokeh, color, rendition etc gives each lens a character of its own so most folks, I believe, buy what looks best for their purposes

JMHO

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[center][COLOR="Gray"][SIZE="1"]click for larger size

With this one we are back to what Nikon lenses have always produced... burried shadows, unless you post processed it on purpose.

Michel

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In that case I guess I'm the one to be held responsible. I cannot imagine it's the lens.
    At least I have never before heard about this being a specific Nikon lens characteristic ... but I would like to learn more
    I can send you the RAW file if you like, just let me know your e-mail address.

RRRoger

I agree that a new 24 f/1.4 fits a more needed lens gap.

but, what about the AF-S Nikkor 16-35 f/4 VRII?

I just bought one and tested it against an "old" 17-35 and a 28-70. The image quality was so close at 30mm that I could not tell them apart. The VRII works exceptionally well. The 16-35 is lighter but longer.

For me, the best thing about this new lens is that it caused a glut of used 17-35 Nikkors on the Market.
    I picked up a "mint" used one for $800 and returned the 16-35.

Conclusion: F/2.8 is more important to me than VRII.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RRRoger View Post
    I agree that a new 24 f/1.4 fits a more needed lens gap.

but, what about the AF-S Nikkor 16-35 f/4 VRII?

I just bought one and tested it against an "old" 17-35 and a 28-70. The image quality was so close at 30mm that I could not tell them apart. The VRII works exceptionally well. The 16-35 is lighter but longer.

For me, the best thing about this new lens is that it caused a glut of used 17-35 Nikkors on the Market.
    I picked up a "mint" used one for $800 and returned the 16-35.

Conclusion: F/2.8 is more important to me than VRII.
    I must say that I never liked my 17-35. Mine did not produce enough and satisfying contrast and was pretty soft. Maybe a bad sample? Sold it a year ago.

Looking forward to the new 16-35!