The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Nikon Lenses Announced

bcf

The 16-35 is again a biggie. Not for me, except perhaps for events. Surely not for travel or street. Bigger and heavier than Canon's 17-40mm f/4, the same approximate size as Canon's 16-35mm f/2.8. I think I'm done with Nikon.

Lars

Yeah pricing seems a bit through the roof for the 24. How much is the competition?

The 16-35 is a VR so no surprise that it's bigger.

tjv

Think this stuff is expensive, try buying the same f1.4 24mm in Leica M... B&H price: $6,495.00... Different mount and size, but in terms of performance I seriously doubt it's 3x better, let alone superior at all in real world use to this new Nikkor. Time will tell. If it's as good as my 24-70 G then it'll be a winner.

bcf

The 16-35 is a VR so no surprise that it's bigger.
Yes, sure. But I was dreaming of something smaller, and rather 17-40 than 16-35. I think I will have to go on using my Voigtlander 20 and 40mm lenses, and my Nikon 28/2.8 AI-S...

ashrafazlan

I thought the whole reason why one might choose an f/4 lens (besides the obvious price difference from an f/2.8) was for size. Now to me this 16-35 seems to be quite big..kinda defeats the purpose of an f/4 lens..

Lars

Think this stuff is expensive, try buying the same f1.4 24mm in Leica M... B&H price: $6,495.00... Different mount and size, but in terms of performance I seriously doubt it's 3x better, let alone superior at all in real world use to this new Nikkor. Time will tell. If it's as good as my 24-70 G then it'll be a winner.
I'm looking forward to reading reviews on the 24 - Nikon's engineers seem to have taken their time on this one. Being a modern design with all that that means in terms of CAD/CAM and materials, I'd expect it to match or beat anything else on the market WRT image quality. Anything else would be a disappointment.

As for mechanical build quality, that's part of what you pay for with a Leica lens.

Stuart Richardson

I really would like to see the results from it. If it is good wide open, it would be the perfect aurora lens for me. Now I make do with the Voigtlander 40/2 at f/2.8, or the 17-35mm at f/4. If the 24/1.4 is good at 1.4 or f/2, it will make a huge difference for the type of photography I do in the winter....
The price though is quite high. But if it is a quality lens, I would go for it. But Canon's version retails for 1700, and it has been around for 20 years, so I am not surprised the Nikon one is coming out at a higher price.

Lars

Maybe we'll see street prices in the US at below $2K for the 24.

It better be stellar wide open, otherwise what's the point might as well use the old 24/2.8.

David K

Workshop Member
This can't be good news for guys hoping to sell their 28 1.4 at $3k plus. Nice to see Nikon spending some R&D giving folks what they've been asking for.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
(...) Nice to see Nikon spending some R&D giving folks what they've been asking for.
Agree, David. And hopefully we will soon see some more new primes coming ... :angel:
Personally I'm waiting for an AF-S 4/400, or a AF-S 4/300 VR with a decent tripod collar. I'll buy whichever comes first.
I'm also in for a fast AF-S 85mm.

Lars

Agree, David. And hopefully we will soon see some more new primes coming ... :angel:
Personally I'm waiting for an AF-S 4/400, or a AF-S 4/300 VR with a decent tripod collar. I'll buy whichever comes first.
I'm also in for a fast AF-S 85mm.
Nikonrumors had a post recently about a possible 50/1.2.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Now, that would be nice, Lars !
I already have the AF-S 1.4/50 G and I do think it is nice, but I expect a new AF-S 1.2/50 would be in a totally different league with ED (Extra low Dispersion) and aspherical lens elements, nanocoating and the whole orchestra. And of course specifically optimized for beautiful dreamy bokeh at wide open aperture :angel:

Here's an example of what the existing AF-S f/1.4 G version does at f/1.4 - not bad at all imho.

click for larger size

Nikon D300 • Nikkor AF-S 1.4/50mm G • 1/320 sec. at f/1.4 ISO 200 • Capture NX

And a capture at f/5.6 (i have also just showed this shot in the Nikon image fun thread)

click for larger size

Nikon D300 • Nikkor AF-S 1.4/50mm G • 1/400 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 200 • Capture NX

T

tetsrfun

Being a modern design with all that that means in terms of CAD/CAM and materials, I'd expect it to match or beat anything else on the market WRT image quality.
I just got a 'blad-Nikon adapter and those old Zeiss lenses, designed with paper, pencil and a slide-rule are amazing.

Steve

Mozbee

I thought the whole reason why one might choose an f/4 lens (besides the obvious price difference from an f/2.8) was for size. Now to me this 16-35 seems to be quite big..kinda defeats the purpose of an f/4 lens..
Maybe! Here's the trade-off vs 17-35/2.8
weight: -9%
length: +18%
+ 1mm on wide end
+ VR
aperture: - 1 stop
price: at least -22.5% (based on MSRP and B&H for 17-35)
We can expect a larger price range with a lower street price on the new lens.

It depends where is the priority of the buyer! We need to wait and see how the corner to corner IQ is, where a smaller largest aperture lens may win.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Nikon has found similar to Leica ..that for the very best lenses..photographers will pay quite a premium. The key is that the lens really has to perform in a meaningful way. For someone that uses fast wide angle primes ..the 24/1.4 could be THE must have lens.

Nikon is betting on a major drive into available light photography . When the D3S sensor trickles down into a smaller FX body ...then Nikon will have a clear advantage for available (low) light photography.

This is the lens I have been waiting for .

Not as impressed with the zoom as it seems they just got the size too big..again. Although I do prefer the form to the 14-24/2.8 which I have found unusable for street and travel photography.

Mozbee

It better be stellar wide open, otherwise what's the point might as well use the old 24/2.8.
Based on the MTF, don't expect miracles in the corners!
The old 24/2.8 is not necessarily a strong performer in digital world! Some zooms set at 24 can beat it!
We'll have to wait and see the whole results before being able to make a good assessment.