The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recent D3 shot

neils

OK so let's see if I can get an image in here.

I shot this Sunday. Mel is a local author and has a book of suspense short stories coming out. I shot his last book jacket shot too but he wanted something else this time.

I used a bunch of D3 or Nikon features here to shoot this image. So....

D3 set to 5:4 ratio, 105 micro (older 2.8 AF-D), WB set to 3030K, SB800 on a stand to the left w/CTO gel on it fired with the SU-800. ISO 200, Aperture preferred, camera set to @-2.3EV, SB800 set to @+3.0EV. Flash set to "FP" so the camera at F4 could use any shutter speed it found it needed depending on how much brighter the sky would sometimes get. This shot may have been 1/1250th, some were that high.

This is from the in camera jpg, the NEFs rock. I've found I like NEF on one card and JPG on the other. Sometimes the JPG may be the final image if hundreds will be shot and the NEF is backup just in case. In this case I shot small/basic as all I wanted to do was burn a CD and leave it with him for selection. I didn't want to leave a great image, just enough of an image.

So the 5:4 of the D3 was great here, I always liked FP flash sync, the Su-800 was great as even though I could radio slave it the auto CLS stuff really works.

Hope the attachment works

Neil

jonoslack

Lovely stuff Neil
I guess one could be grumpy about the bokeh in the background, but the lighting etc. really works.
excellent stuff:salute:

neils

You know I never thought of this lens as having bad Bokeh and I've owned it for 15 years or so. But I was thinking about the background and what it is. It is dozens, a hundred? who knows small squiggly branches 10 feet, twenty/thirty feet etc all running around behind him. All in different amounts of out of focus-ness. I guess this is how it looks. Oh well. I really don't mind.

I have other versions and here is one that may look a little soft as it is in camera sharpening at only about "3" I think.

Neil

neils

OK so how are some of you prepping an image to show it here? In the case of these they are only small/basic jpgs from camera, I haven't started with a NEF.

But do I need to make it a 72dpi file with a certain size? I have to find the FAQ that I think is in DPI somewhere. Does DPI resize a larger 300dpi file if I loaded that? The images are a whole let better than they appear here.

Neil

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Neil just resize to 900 DPI on the widest side and convert to jpeg. Don't oversharpen though . It shows up clunky

neils

Guy

OK so a vertical could be 900 wide and 1200 tall, a horizontal could be 900 wide and 600 tall. Just as examples. Leave resolution at 300? or change to 72.

I've got the clunky part down pretty well I think.

Neil

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy

OK so a vertical could be 900 wide and 1200 tall, a horizontal could be 900 wide and 600 tall. Just as examples. Leave resolution at 300? or change to 72.

I've got the clunky part down pretty well I think.

Neil
900 vertical or 900 wide depending on image orientation. Just let the other dimension fall where it may

neils

Another try from a shoot 2 weeks ago. That's Eddie Money. I know. Who could tell unless I told them.

Neil