The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Warranty Required?

ajoyroy

I was wondering if the Nikon Telephotos require extensive warranty. The reason for this is that in India the lenses are at least 50% more than in International market. I can import the lenses, pay 25% custom duty and still save at least 25% on the Indian price. Experience regarding repairs would be appreciated.
The lenses are covered by International warranty anyway.

Ajoy Roy, Delhi

m3photo

Experience regarding repairs would be appreciated.
The lenses are covered by International warranty anyway.
This is something that comes up time and again. Unfortunately in your case it will depend on Nikon India. In my case it would depend on Nikon Spain. Repairs under international warranties are tricky territory if you come up with a lens (or body) that's not on their import list. This is to castigate those who "dare" do what you're thinking of doing to save on the 25% "take-it-or-leave-it" fee.
My recommendation would be to contact Nikon India with a hypothetical case and see what their answer is and then weigh up the pros and cons on that 25%. If it's for work then I wouldn't take any chances and cough up the extra; albeit against my will.

S

seomul

Im assuming you will be able to buy it under warranty depending who u r getting from if ebay read the sellers rules..

ajoyroy

This is something that comes up time and again. Unfortunately in your case it will depend on Nikon India. In my case it would depend on Nikon Spain. Repairs under international warranties are tricky territory if you come up with a lens (or body) that's not on their import list. This is to castigate those who "dare" do what you're thinking of doing to save on the 25% "take-it-or-leave-it" fee. My recommendation would be to contact Nikon India with a hypothetical case and see what their answer is and then weigh up the pros and cons on that 25%. If it's for work then I wouldn't take any chances and cough up the extra; albeit against my will.
Nikon India has the lenses I want, with the Indian prices on their site, hence I assume that they are on the import list.
What I really wanted to know is the failure rate of the 300 - 600mm telephoto failure rate in the first two years of their life. If any one has had failure I would appreciate sharing the experience.

m3photo

Re: ???

What I really wanted to know is the failure rate of the 300 - 600mm telephoto failure rate in the first two years of their life. If any one has had failure I would appreciate sharing the experience.
Er, so nothing to do with the first post then? Sorry, can't help.