The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D3 1.10 Firmware bug

Greg Seitz

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to let folks know that a photo corruption bug has been discovered. Basically when shooting a high speed burst using RAW or RAW+JPG it is possible to end up with one or more photos corrupted. I suspect it may only affect those of us using UDMA cards. I've opened up a support ticked with Nikon regarding the problem. More info can be found in this DPReview thread:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&thread=27589854

Thanks,

Greg

Greg Seitz

I've been watching on the sidelines for quite a while, finally decided to join in. Great forum. I mentioned I suspected it only effects UDMA cards, but it looks like others are having the problem on standard cards as well. I'll update this thread if Nikon gives me any info regarding a resolution.

Thanks Greg and welcome to the forum. News like this is great to know

harmsr

Workshop Member
Greg,

Thanks for the heads up. Yamil called me today to tell me not to install the firmware after reading that thread.

Please post what Nikon responds.

Best,

Ray

harmsr

Workshop Member
Greg,

FYI - I have not upgraded the firmware on my D3 yet.

I tried to duplicate the corrupted files Raw+Jpeg Fine, Cont. High for speed, Cont. focus mode, 14 bit, Lossless NEF, Hoodman UDMA 8GB cards. On my camera the old firmware does not generate these corrupted files.

Just as and FYI for a data point.

Best,

Ray

woodyspedden

I have upgraded the firmware on my D3 and so far at least (he says while holding breath) I have had no problems. I am using a pair of Lexar 300x 8 GB cards.l However I don't shoot long bursts and I don't shoot raw + Jpeg

Woody

Greg Seitz

Greg,

FYI - I have not upgraded the firmware on my D3 yet.

I tried to duplicate the corrupted files Raw+Jpeg Fine, Cont. High for speed, Cont. focus mode, 14 bit, Lossless NEF, Hoodman UDMA 8GB cards. On my camera the old firmware does not generate these corrupted files.

Just as and FYI for a data point.

Best,

Ray
Thanks Ray, I never saw it before the update, but then again I wasn't trying to get it to fail either. Good info, I'll pass it along to Nikon.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg Seitz

I have upgraded the firmware on my D3 and so far at least (he says while holding breath) I have had no problems. I am using a pair of Lexar 300x 8 GB cards.l However I don't shoot long bursts and I don't shoot raw + Jpeg

Woody
Woody,

Seems some people are able to reproduce it more easily than others, not sure why. It can also happen when shooting RAW only, it just seems to be far less common. One thing that looks like it might be related to is shooting 14-bit. No one that I'm aware of has reported it happening in 12-bit.

Thanks,

Greg

deepdiver

Hi All
I tested 4x brusts of 9 FPS (setting AF-S, RAW 14 BIT)
the results...
from the 1st burst = OK (none of the photos is corrupted)
2nd burst = OK
3rd burst = 1 photo is corrupted
4th burst = OK
I guess everyone who updated this new firmwire on their D3 is suffered from this bug.
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-9309-9408
At first i thought that I was OK... until i tried for 4 times bursts shot
Why dont u guys tried it
and see the results
I really want to know about it
Thx

Btw, here is the corrupted file that i got

Andree

harmsr

Workshop Member
Andree,

Sorry to see that it appears to affect all cameras after the upgrade.

I tried 8 bursts of 15 shots today on the original firmware with no issues. I'll be waiting for the next level of firmware before I update.

Best,

Ray

Greg Seitz

Ok, just wanted to update everyone now that Nikon has gotten back to me. They've pulled the upgrade and are working on a fix to be posted in a few weeks. No word on whether you can roll back to the earlier firmware. Here is their response:

Thanks for the update. We have stopped the download of the D3 firmware until a new version can be released within a few weeks. Please see:

Answer Title: IMPORTANT - Termination of D3 Firmware Ver. 1.10 Download
Answer Link: http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bi...td_adp.php?p_faqid=14553&p_created=1208520357

Thanks,

Greg

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Greg for keeping the forum updated. Sounds like you have close ties with Nikon and that is nice to have around.

Greg Seitz

Thanks Greg for keeping the forum updated. Sounds like you have close ties with Nikon and that is nice to have around.
No, unfortunately no special ties, just went through the normal support channels. I think they did a great job acknowledging the problem and giving an estimated time for the fix so quickly.

jonoslack

Ok, just wanted to update everyone now that Nikon has gotten back to me. They've pulled the upgrade and are working on a fix to be posted in a few weeks. No word on whether you can roll back to the earlier firmware. Here is their response:

Thanks for the update. We have stopped the download of the D3 firmware until a new version can be released within a few weeks. Please see:

Answer Title: IMPORTANT - Termination of D3 Firmware Ver. 1.10 Download
Answer Link: http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bi...td_adp.php?p_faqid=14553&p_created=1208520357

Thanks,

Greg
Hi Greg, thank you for that.

they've done good.

There's no such thing as a bum note - it all depends how you resolve it (Thelonious Monk)