Site Sponsors
Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun Pictures with Nikon

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun Pictures with Nikon

Yes, it's a pity, but as the hard-core villain that I am, I don't give up on my criminal behaviour easily, so here's another one

D80 with Tamron 24-135 @ 24mm and f/3.5. Colours look a bit off when posted on this forum btw. The carpet is deep red when I view it in Photoshop, while the tables and chairs are still yellowish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bangkok, the lazy, oriental city.

D80 with 70-300 ED @ 70mm and f/6.3

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From today's shoot under the hot midday sun, D80 and Reflex Nikkor 500mm f/8

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A recent image; September evening light.
    D3, 24-70/2,8 Nikkor zoom.
    Last edited by Arne Hvaring; 29th March 2009 at 13:19.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Hvaring View Post
    A recent image; September evening light.
    D3, 24-70/2,8 Nikkor zoom.
    HI Arne
    Lovely scene . . . just a question; are you using AWB for evening light shots?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono, I never (well, almost) use AWB, this and most shots are set to sunny daylight. The yellow you see is the warmth of the sun just before it dipped behind the mountain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Having said that, I must add that the posted image looks quite a bit more yellowish than it did in PS. Maybe some conversion phenomena?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Having said that, I must add that the posted image looks quite a bit more yellowish than it did in PS. Maybe some conversion phenomena?
    Hi Arne
    Well, the reason I asked, is because I find that AWB on all Nikon cameras gives nasty yellow colour in evening light. I suspect it's because Nikon optimise AWB for skin tones (and nobody wants to be pink!).

It was a revelation to me to use sunny for all morning and evening shots, but it seems it's a revelation that you've already found!

tint -5 kelvin 4891 RULES

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Arne
    Well, the reason I asked, is because I find that AWB on all Nikon cameras gives nasty yellow colour in evening light. I suspect it's because Nikon optimise AWB for skin tones (and nobody wants to be pink!).

It was a revelation to me to use sunny for all morning and evening shots, but it seems it's a revelation that you've already found!

tint -5 kelvin 4891 RULES
    Yes, my experience as well. AWB tends to take the character out of the light, "correcting" it with questionable success.

While maintaining the same WB setting, different cameras tend to render a scene quite differently. As it happened I had a few other cameras with me on this outing, so here, just for fun, is the same subject taken a few minutes later with the Canon 1DsIII and 35/1,4 L lens.
    Second image is taken a few miunutes after that (by now the light was fading in the foreground) with the Leica DMR and 35/1,4 Summilux-R. I was surprised how well the DMR held its own in this exalted company, both in terms of colour and sharpness.
    So which one do you prefer?
    Last edited by Arne Hvaring; 29th March 2009 at 13:20.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, my experience as well. AWB tends to take the character out of the light, "correcting" it with questionable success.

While maintaining the same WB setting, different cameras tend to render a scene quite differently. As it happened I had a few other cameras with me on this outing, so here, just for fun, is the same subject taken a few minutes later with the Canon 1DsIII and 35/1,4 L lens.
    Second image is taken a few miunutes after that (by now the light was fading in the foreground) with the Leica DMR and 35/1,4 Summilux-R. I was surprised how well the DMR held its own in this exalted company, both in terms of colour and sharpness.
    So which one do you prefer?
    HI Arne
    How's the back?
    I like the Canon best . . . .but I think it's just that the exposure is a little less so that the saturation is more.
    I just wish that you'd used the Sony A900 you had in the other bag, as I'd really like to see how the evening colours would have held up.
    Mind you, I still think that the Olympus E1 does the best colours of all the SLR's I've seen (it's that lovely [noisy] Kodak sensor).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Arne,
    That looks very Norwegian. I agree with Jono, the one from the Canon looks the best. Actually, I also agree that nothing beats the E-1 for landscape colours. (and the Fujis for portraits). I also have the problem that some (but not all) photos look more yellow, and on this forum also brighter, when posted on the internet. Look at the red carpet in the photo on the top of this page. In reality (and in Photoshop), it's deep red, but here, it's almost orange, while the rest of the photo looks perfect.

I've pretty much given up on auto WB and shoot everything in daylight WB as long as I'm outdoor or bordering to outdoors. As long as I shoot RAW, it can be adjusted to anything anyway. What I do find with evening photos, is that I have to adjust the sky more than the rest of the photo, to achieve the "perceived reality" that most people prefer. A too yellowish sky can look rather uncharming sometimes.

The exception is when I shoot jpegs with the S3, partly because they can't be adjusted as easily, and partly because because the auto WB of that camera is bordering to magic. It's like it kind of senses that, "this must be evening light, so I don't make it too neutral".

Talking about auto WB: I've never quite understood why the auto WB doesn't see that some lenses give a colour cast. I would think that in theory, all lenses should come out with the same colours, using auto WB, but they don't. My Tamron always ends up with more yellow photos than my Nikkors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono, my back is bad as always, but not from carrying camera equipment
    When on these trips I strictly adhere to the "if it's more than 50 meters from the car, it isn't photogenic" school of thouhgt

The Sony a900, interesting, but I'm more curious about Nikon's high-res DSLR which I expect to be more refined. And hopefully in a D700 sized body....

I too find the colours of the 1DsIII preferable in these samples, although I often prefer the somewhat lighter and slightly more differentiated colours of the D3.

Jorgen, I've seen colour shifts in my images when posting both here and on the FM forum. I've found that even small changes in PS (particularly re. saturation) can have a much larger effect on the posted picture than one would expect from the preview in Photoshop.
    Last edited by Arne Hvaring; 27th September 2008 at 07:00.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Are you guys using a color managed browser? I use Mozilla Firefox. When I recently changed computers, I forgot to go in and make the changes to Firefox to enable color management. All of a sudden my photos on here did not match Photoshop and Jack reminded me to check my browser settings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Are you guys using a color managed browser? I use Mozilla Firefox. When I recently changed computers, I forgot to go in and make the changes to Firefox to enable color management. All of a sudden my photos on here did not match Photoshop and Jack reminded me to check my browser settings.
    I use Firefox, but where do I find colour management?

Post Thanks / Like

It's not that easy to find. Have look here for the options:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-9311-9478

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This a false color IR capture so, I don't know who gets to see it as I see it.

Dancing in the Air

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Never mind the colours. Having been to the annual Scandinavian Crayfish (and aquavit) Party last night, I find it worrying to wake up today, seeing people in white, suspended in thin air

Subscriber Member Jonathon Delacour's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    Bobby Holly from the Firefox team wrote a weblog post about performance issues associated with color management. In the next version of Firefox (3.1) -- for performance reasons -- color profiles will be turned on by default for "tagged" images only (in other words, images with embedded color profiles). This is also the approach that Safari currently uses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Never mind the colours. Having been to the annual Scandinavian Crayfish (and aquavit) Party last night, I find it worrying to wake up today, seeing people in white, suspended in thin air
    Jorgen, They were just hanging (around) from the roof of a hotel and dancing in thin air. Part of an (yet another) "international festival' organized by the Hague city (taxpayers money hard at work).

Here is another on the ground with a bit of (what I thought) cinematic lighting.

D80-IR, 18-55 AF-S G II

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Photographer's assistant:

D700 24-70 f2.8

At least he didn't cock his leg on it this time!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Arne
    Sorry for the later reply (I thought I had replied, but it doesn't seem to be there!).
    Hi Jono, my back is bad as always, but not from carrying camera equipment
    When on these trips I strictly adhere to the "if it's more than 50 meters from the car, it isn't photogenic" school of thouhgt
    What an excellent concept . . . but what do you do when you spend two weeks in Crete 5 miles from the nearest road!

As for backs - after years of fiddling around with osteopaths and chiropractors - all of whom said they could cure my back but couldn't I finally went to a sports physio around ten years ago, I have to do excercises every day, but my back is better than it's been since I was 16!
    The Sony a900, interesting, but I'm more curious about Nikon's high-res DSLR which I expect to be more refined. And hopefully in a D700 sized body....
    Oh - I hope so too, but I bet they put it in a behemoth body and charge twice as much as the Sony . . . it'll be interesting to see.

I too find the colours of the 1DsIII preferable in these samples, although I often prefer the somewhat lighter and slightly more differentiated colours of the D3.
    I don't usually like Canon colours, but in this instance they do seem to be best. IMHO Olympus still produce the best colours out of the camera.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love the shot with the dog Jono - beautiful light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh - I hope so too, but I bet they put it in a behemoth body and charge twice as much as the Sony . . . it'll be interesting to see.
    And the Zeiss 135mm f/1.8 won't fit on any Nikon

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks like it was a bit nippy. His breath is waterfalling out of his snout...
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Photographer's assistant:

D700 24-70 f2.8

At least he didn't cock his leg on it this time!
    Awesome, Jono!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The end of the Bramble (Black berry or as it is called in Dutch, Bramen)season.

D300, 70-300 ED @300mm, ISO1000

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Awesome, Jono!
    Thank you!
    Carlos - it wasn't actually very cold, but it WAS misty, so I guess the dog's breath was accentuating it. He is ALWAYS getting in the way, usually he either treads on things, or pisses on 'em. This was the payback!

On a more relevant note, I'm always really impressed with the DR one can squeeze out of the Nikon FF sensor in high contrast scenes like this.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The same lens worked well on my D80-IR as well.

This time @ISO400

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

D3, 2/35 mm ZF.
    Last edited by Arne Hvaring; 29th March 2009 at 13:20.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The end of the Bramble (Black berry or as it is called in Dutch, Bramen)season.
    HI Vivek
    Very Nice - especially the IR version. Funny coincidence, I was taking pictures of them today as well, but our season is in full swing, far from over:

They are of the Genus Rubus in the Rose family. Confusing names over here:

Bramble bushes have
    Blackberries on them
    and you use them to make Bramble Jelly (or Blackberry Jam!).

The red berries in the background on my picture are rose-hips.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful colours and composition of your berries, Jono.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, Thanks for the bramble education! Yes, i also love the light you captured in your bramble shot.

Here is the typical light I deal with.

D300, Sigma 30/1.4

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, Thanks for the bramble education! Yes, i also love the light you captured in your bramble shot.

Here is the typical light I deal with.

D300, Sigma 30/1.4
    Nice one Vivek
    Is this Dutch Light (as in the great masters?)

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I thought "Dutch Light" was a cigar?
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

There's a real nice documentary about Dutch Light (http://www.dkw.nl/engels/9117-dkw-dutch-light.htm) in which they try to find out if there is something special about the light in Holland and by what it might be caused.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    I thought "Dutch Light" was a cigar?
    I thought it was a low calorie beer!

Woody

dlew308

Just returned from a little family vacation in Cancun, Mexico...
    This little fellow was a day old and will be sent out to sea by the hotel staff....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, Thanks. I am ambivalent about the origin of the light. Kids growing up here certainly have an advantage in that they grow up with some exposure to the masters (although, very few catch it, as is the case everywhere). I think I learned a lot looking at them.

A couple of my older shots (I don't know if I had shown them here or not, my apologies if it is redundant):

Schveningen pier, D40x, Sigma 30/1.4

Window light, D70 and a 9.8cm f/1 lens @ f1

Maarten, Thanks for the link to an interesting documentary. Are you the same Maarten who created the concept for it?

Post Thanks / Like

Are you the same Maarten who created the concept for it?
    No I'm not. I wish. I just remembered seeing this documentary about Dutch light.

Both of your last photos look like paintings. Very nice colors and "fuzziness".

Let's see if I can find some Dutch light pictures....

Post Thanks / Like

Here's one. D70 with 12mm-24mm on 12mm:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very, very nice, Vivek. Dramatic use of light.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Vivek - those are both Wonderful!

Here is my brother in law contemplating his toast and marmalade. Perhaps it isn't Dutch lighting, but it's certainly chiaroscuro!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maarten, Jorgen and Jono, Thanks a bunch! Lovely shots, Maarten and Jono.

Here is a slight change of course (my first "street puppy" shot):

D300, 28mm T/S lens, as shot
    Emotive Poodle

Post Thanks / Like

Here you are.... "Dutch Light" photo. (Springstreet, NYC, D700, 80-200 AF-D at 100mm)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did a wedding today. Fortunately, they had hired another photographer to do all the formals, so I could do what I wanted. And I did.

S3 with 85mm f/1.8 @ f/2.0

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now, this is "Dutch" light!
    After all what would you expect from Rembrandt's House?
    Attachment 8028
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bob, Nice shot but there is no "Dutch Light". Rembrandt worked for many years in France. Even the recent Mondriaan had to leave town before being hailed as a national treasure.

Jorgen, That is a swell shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek,
    ... and when Rembrandt worked in France, didn't he have French light? Now it may differ from Dutch light only in the location upon which it fell, but "Dutch" Light to me was more the use of light by Dutch painters of that period rather then its source or location. Yes, and I will allow that this use may have not been unique, just rather typical.
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sure, Bob. It is from a school originating from a period in history.

Post Thanks / Like

Was doing a studio shoot and one of the models had her son with her. He went very quite and was found along the side of the infinity cove with some old props and some sand from a plant pot. He had such a good time he didn't want to leave so if business goes off my friend can always start a play group.
    The model in the other shot isn't his mum but you can't beat a good clipboard photo. Funny what you get asked to photograph
    Can you imagine how good I'd be with a D700 and 85 f1.4.
    Still got the D300 and Jono's old 17-55. Both shots straight from camera in sRGB standard mode. One SB 900 the other a couple of elincroms. I like the D300 output but still yearn for CCD instead of CMOS. Guess the Leica S2 would give that but there's no banks left to rob as they've all gone bust
    You could always start a collection for me as I'm not sure how long I can go on like this If it gets above the price of a D700 and 85mm there's always the 14-24 and 200 f2 I'd like and need for some portraits I may have to do soon. Of course if it goes ballistic the Leica will be out in a while, and I don't mind waiting .
    Yours in hope
    David
    Last edited by DavidL; 1st July 2011 at 13:04.