Site Sponsors
Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun Pictures with Nikon

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun Pictures with Nikon

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    You're killing me with these images Jorgen, you really know how to spot them!

I have some ozzy friends visiting tonight and I've been showing them your Thai images, we all agree that they're priceless, very telling if you know what you're looking at.

On a different note, I guess you can now see why I was recommending the S5.
    David,
    Thank you for your kind words. You do have a part in these photos, you know. I was considering giving up on the S5 (and buy a D90) when you convinced me that the Fuji was the way to go. And you were right. There's nothing like it. It has weaknesses, some of them rather problematic, but the strong sides outweighs them many times over.

The "know what you're looking at" part is probably very important btw. Those who have lived in this country, probably see the photos in a very different way than those who haven't

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Schnuffy must be the world's only Legally Blonde dog

Great shot!

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

here are a couple with a newly obtained D300, borrowed Tokina 12-24 DX and lowly 55-200mm AFS VR...haven't participated in awhile so ....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful fishing boat scene. Very well performed.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Playing around with a Gary Fong Puffer (a $20 diffuser widget that makes the popup flash usable for close-up work) on my D300:

Electra aka PeeWee
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I went down the river today, with the express boat. Standing at the back, on the yellow "No Standing" zone, it's possible to take photos of life passing by. And I did. 168 photos in 15 minutes. Mighty fast this Fuji miracle and I like the colours too

All with S5 and the 70-300 ED, jpegs out of the camera:

Then, after visiting a friend of mine in his office, I waited for the train on my way home:

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jorgen, haven't had much time to add until yesterday, am off again next week for a long weekend to Las Vegas area, maybe Zion and Page. Hopefully will have a few more after that. I always enjoy your images, as they come from a part of the world I haven't been to...YET... someday, hopefully...and you do a great job showing what life, sights are there, etc.

On another topic, but related to your images, are you interested in seeing if Fuji comes out with another dslr....there is hope by many that they will come out with there own FF body??? Would you have any interest in that? I certainly would especially if they can get there fps rate up a bit....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don,
    I would absolutely be interested in a new Fuji body, but it must be full frame, not because I'm obsessed with FF, but because the smaller, portable lenses already have problems with the pixel pitch on my current Fujis. A phenomenon that I used to mistake for noise, is actually the photo "falling apart" as a result of insufficient resolving power of the lens. Interestingly, this is more of a problem on the S5 than on my D80. My worst example is the 70-300 ED, which works very well on the Nikon, but starts to fail around 150mm on the Fujis, particularly at infinity focus.

A D700 body with a FF Fuji sensor of 12 + 12 MP with the most recent Fuji technology would be great.

I can't really see Fuji pulling out of the pro market. Their presence there has traditionally been strong, and although the profit is limited, it increases their marketing power.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen - that would be my wish as well, along with a true Nikon based battery, not proprietary to Fuji. Never owned an S5, but had S1-S3s. Appreciated alot of the plusses of these cameras, but avoided the S5 and went D200 at the time. Shoot mostly RAW now, but miss the simplicity of the Fuji jpgs. Als they would need to improve their firmware in interfaces, so they are more inline with Nikons. Can all this be copyright protected? Hope not. With the costs of the S5s coming down a bunch, have reconsidered one as a backup, but really do more landscape/travel, then portraiture, else I would have pulled the trigger on one a long time ago. Hoping for a new Fuji sometime in '09...else maybe the 24mp version of the D700 will get the nod...happy shooting, Don

Post Thanks / Like

These are some snaps from the Good Guys car show. Most have been jacked around with the Capture NX Nik filters...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Never mind the filters. The three first ones and the last one are great.

Would love to have the car in the first photo (or any of the Mustangs). That would be the correct transport for any occasion

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a photographer for you. It's a bit off topic, but I hope it's ok to post it here, even though she doesn't use a Nikon

S5 with 80-200 AF-S @ 200mm and f/2.8

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

S5 with 80-200 AF-S @ 112mm and f/5.6

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

D80 with 85mm f/1.8 @ f/3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yesterday was Loy Kratong, the most beautiful of days in Thailand. That is the day when every Thai all over this country makes or buys a small float of palm leaves, decorated with flowers, a candle and incense sticks, to launch it on a klong, a river or a pond, together with wishes, dreams and prayers.

It's a beautiful evening, not only because of the visual impact, but because it's an event filled with peace and thoughtfulness.

There are many different Loy Kratongs: the noisy one in Chiang Mai, the tourist ones at the luxury hotels along the Chao Praya river, but the real Loy Kratong is at the temples near klongs and rivers all over the nation.

Here's a photo from Wad Nam Daeng. Last night, that was the place to be, at least for those living around here.

S5 with Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (new lens, bought it yesterday ) @ 38mm, f/2.8, ISO400, 1/20s. No editing except cropping top and bottom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Yesterday was Loy Kratong, the most beautiful of days in Thailand. That is the day when every Thai all over this country makes or buys a small float of palm leaves, decorated with flowers, a candle and incense sticks, to launch it on a klong, a river or a pond, together with wishes, dreams and prayers.

It's a beautiful evening, not only because of the visual impact, but because it's an event filled with peace and thoughtfulness.

There are many different Loy Kratongs: the noisy one in Chiang Mai, the tourist ones at the luxury hotels along the Chao Praya river, but the real Loy Kratong is at the temples near klongs and rivers all over the nation.

Here's a photo from Wad Nam Daeng. Last night, that was the place to be, at least for those living around here.

S5 with Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (new lens, bought it yesterday ) @ 38mm, f/2.8, ISO400, 1/20s. No editing except cropping top and bottom.

The new lens did a spectacular job in your very capable hands. Beautiful...and I really liked your narrative about Loy Kratong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    The new lens did a spectacular job in your very capable hands. Beautiful...and I really liked your narrative about Loy Kratong.
    Thank you Cindy. I'm very impressed by that lens. Sharpness, clarity and colours seem to be spot on for my use, and it's so tiny. Cheap too, about one fifth of the big, bulky Nikon version

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Saturday 15 November was the day for the Royal Cremation of the sister of The King of Thailand, HRH Galyani Vadhana. The people of Thailand showed up in large numbers at Sanam Luang, where a crematorium has been built for the occasion, to show their respect for the popular princess.

D80 with Tamron 17-50 @ 35mm and f/5

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

D80 with 80-200 AF-S and Tamron 1.4x TC @ 220mm and f/4

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Twilight Gutter cleaning
    Attachment 9236

Attachment 9237
    You will never see me doing this!
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Whilst strolling around my favorite open air mall testing a BRNO baLens white balance lenscap:

Spot the lizard

Pegleg Pigeon
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From the procession during the Royal Cremation Ceremony in Bangkok.
    D80 with 80-200 AF-S and Tamron 1.4x TC @ 170mm and f/5.6

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen,
    Orange, red, gold, and green. Who is their stylist?
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Jorgen,
    Orange, red, gold, and green. Who is their stylist?
    -bob
    Ummm... I think he was killed by the Burmese, late 18th century, when they invaded Ayuttaya

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Monks and Mourners attending the procession on the day of the Royal Cremation of Her Royal Highness the late Princess Galyani Vadhana.

D80 with 80-200 AF-S and Tamron 1.4x TC @ 160mm and f/4.0

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some shots from this weekend:

All shots D300 + 18-200 AF-S VR, handheld.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

my first pano attempt from recent Zion trip, taken with D300, 28/2 AIS, polarizer, 5 vertical shot....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice shots Jorgen. Hope you are safe in the present turmoil in Thailand.

Carlos, great fireworks shot, exposure nicely balanced.

Don, I like your pano, but the sky looks a bit odd. I've had good results with PTGui, btw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A recent shot. Winter is coming fast now, creates some intriguing abstractions in ice.
    D3, 85/2,8 P-C Micro Nikkor.
    Last edited by Arne Hvaring; 8th July 2009 at 13:19.

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Hvaring View Post

Carlos, great fireworks shot, exposure nicely balanced.

Don, I like your pano, but the sky looks a bit odd. I've had good results with PTGui, btw.
    Thanks Arne - I agree, may need more work, being a pano, the polarizer effect varied greatly across the field of view, so I attemped to burn the left side down a bit, also there is a bit of artifacting that is not visible in prints up to 20". Have not printed the whole thing bigger yet, but have plans to do so. Printed a section of the middle equivalent to 60" long to see how the image structure held up and was blown away to say the least. More PP will have to be done or undone and corrected around the left third or so before I print the entire image that size. As the first pano I have seriously attempted I was pleased over all with how just CS3 worked. Will check out PTGui, thanks for the heads up.

Jorgen - stay safe.....Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you are going to print big make sure you get those two identical dust spots in the upper right too! They will drive you crazy if you don't...

Arne -- that ice abstraction is really superb. It has an interesting sort of fractal 3D effect. I like the current crop, but it might be interesting to see a tighter crop of just the distressed section of the ice as well.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    If you are going to print big make sure you get those two identical dust spots in the upper right too! They will drive you crazy if you don't...
    Stuart - thanks for the headsup, but alot of what looks like dust and poor burning in on the posted image is just artifacting. I would guess coming from a 16 bit layered .tiff[200-400mb] to an jpeg web image is just that. I took a look at a 20 inch print again after you mentioned it and it is just that. Nothing noticeable in it or crops from larger sizes I have made to check certain areas....

It is scary judging stuff from online sources, but also one sees tonation changes along the top border on different monitors, both on my Imac at home or PC at work that really are not real in print..>> I do appreciate the concern and I wll scrutinize everything again when I approach getting ready to print the large prints.... For all those fellow Americans, have a happy Thanksgiving and great weekend to the rest...
    Nice images all around from the Disney fireworks to the ice abstract....
    Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Since you ask, here's a description I made for some friends after my arrival at the airport last night, totally unaware of the situation. Photo with D80 and Tamron 17-50 @ 17mm and f/2.8 (I think):

Since it's so popular to to give airports and airlines prizes for best performance, service and so on, here's a short evaluation of Air Asia, Svarnabhumi Airport and an old taxi driver last night:

22.45 hrs
    Stewardess with cute voice on the loudspeaker after three hours en route from the outside world: "spprkrf skm ajhji klf... and if you need any help, please visit our website hewfekjflrAsia.com.

Nice voice, but bad pronunciation. Only 5 points out of 10

23.10 hrs
    Passport control. No queue here. Very surprising. Fast as lightning. Less than 2 minutes. Big surprise. Never happened before. 12 points out of 10!

23.15 hrs
    Taxi stand moved to the most inaccessible end of the terminal building. Long walk on sore feet (lots of walking abroad), only to find the exit blocked by three serious looking guards, and no taxis outside. Minus 3 points for moving the taxis and another minus three for no taxis. That's minus 6 out of plus 10. This is looking bad for the shiny, almost new airport.

23.17 hrs
    Arrived at the bottom floor. Lots of people there. Must be those who were not at the passport control. A thousand passengers and two taxis. Must be a zero, right? Out of 10 obviously.

23.18 hrs
    There's noise from above. Somebody having a party? Up to check.

23.20 hrs
    Arrival at the fifth floor, after explaining politely to several guards that there's no point in blocking the upwards escalators in this airport, since it's apparently in the process of going out of business anyway.

Yes, there's a party. Big one. It's those people again, the ones who try their best to improve this country by blocking government buildings and airports. This is the beginning of the tourist season in Thailand. Some people will be out of work this year. Bad, bad move. Minus 10 points, at least.

That was probably what the stewardess was talking about. A party invitation! Ok, a couple of more points to her

Midnight
    Walking towards one of the main roads to find a taxi, two kilometers on even sorer feet. Found one, a car that could hardly move and a driver that could hardly see, but with some help, he found the road to Wat Nam Daeng. 10 points to him (and 40 baht tip, so he can buy a new car).

All in all, a very interesting evening, but a bad score for the airport and those noisy people.

Best regards
    Jørgen

Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 26th November 2008 at 12:16.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Arne,
    Love your abstract ice. Ice is good as long as it's in photos (or in a glass ).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen, good to hear you're OK, and even making fun of your tribulations. That's the spirit .
    And thank you for the comment on the ice abstraction. Finding these beautiful creations of nature is one of the (few!) things that make the cold and dreary winters bearable. Given the choice, I would have preferred the south too

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post

Arne -- that ice abstraction is really superb. It has an interesting sort of fractal 3D effect. I like the current crop, but it might be interesting to see a tighter crop of just the distressed section of the ice as well.
    Stuart, many thanks! I've struggled a bit cropping this image, as posted it's only sligthly cropped because I found the chequered pattern to the left interesting. But there's detail enough for a closer crop (and possibly rotation), I might post something along those lines later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen, good to hear you're OK, and even making fun of your tribulations. That's the spirit .
    Staying calm and trying to see the funny side is the only way, I'm afraid. This is a serious situation though, not because it's physically dangerous, but because it will affect the tourism negatively, which means a lot of people will lose their jobs. Add to that the financial crisis, which affects the manufacturing businesses (Nikon's layoffs is a good example of that. They have their big factory in Ayuttaya, just north of Bangkok.), and many families will be in for a tough year in 2009.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum near Portland, Oregon yesterday. It's the home of the Spruce Goose as well as an impressive collection of many other aircraft. Next door is an IMAX theater and a Space Museum. I'd highly recommend visiting if you're in the area. Photo album here (not captioned yet). Shot with the D300 & 17-55mm and Tokina 11-16.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Went to the Pattaya Balloon Fiesta this weekend. Big balloons, and kites too. Here's one of the big, tough kite pilots, piloting his 4-line stunt kite. Or is it the kite piloting him ?

D80 with 80-200 AF-S and Tamron 1.4x TC @ 280mm and f/4.0

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Then there was the Bang Saen Bike Week. No need for a Harley to participate

D80 with 80-200 AF-S @ 200mm and f/3.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And if you wish you had a Harley but don't, you can just put a bunch of Harley stickers on your Honda

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

D'you think the moustache is 'stick on' too?

Lovely shot Jurgen - I hope you're looking after yourself during the turmoil.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jono. Looking after myself? There are too many others to look after to even notice myself. But things are very peaceful the places where I'm going.

Go with the flow, smile to the girls and enjoy the food

ddk

And if you wish you had a Harley but don't, you can just put a bunch of Harley stickers on your Honda

Great work Jorgen, as usual......, love the rocket man.

ddk

A recent shot. Winter is coming fast now, creates some intriguing abstractions in ice.
    D3, 85/2,8 P-C Micro Nikkor.
    nice work, very original!

ddk

Then there was the Bang Saen Bike Week. No need for a Harley to participate

I have to start using my long lenses, haven't touched anything above 35mm for a very long while, fun images.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great work Jorgen, as usual......, love the rocket man.
    Thanks David. I think the best focal length depends on how we "see". I tend to look for motives in a 135-200mm range, so those are the focal lengths I'm using the most. Unless I'm shooting architecture, I'm usually completely happy with an 85mm on DX or 135mm on 35mm, and can live with a single focal length like that for weeks.

I love my new Tamron 17-50 too though, and that was the lens I used for 95% of the time on a recent visit to Macau and Hong Kong.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One from Black Friday weekend - the ultimate solution to taking a husband/father/boyfriend shopping at the mall

Daddy Day Care

ddk

Thanks David. I think the best focal length depends on how we "see". I tend to look for motives in a 135-200mm range, so those are the focal lengths I'm using the most. Unless I'm shooting architecture, I'm usually completely happy with an 85mm on DX or 135mm on 35mm, and can live with a single focal length like that for weeks.
    Maybe, I seem to find the 28mm-40mm range natural for me, probably because of my subject matter or preference to shoot up close.

I love my new Tamron 17-50 too though, and that was the lens I used for 95% of the time on a recent visit to Macau and Hong Kong.
    I'm zoom challenged, I often get the framing wrong or lose the moment while zooming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm zoom challenged, I often get the framing wrong or lose the moment while zooming.
    I agree, and I mostly find myself using zooms at one of the extremes. I've sometimes even walked closer to make the crop fit the widest end of the lens without thinking about it. My brain is probably not made for multitasking. Maybe I should have the firmware updated