The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Nikon

jonoslack

It was a dull day today, so I got out the macro and took some hedgerow shots:

All taken with the D3 and nikkor 105 AFS VR macro

The colour shots work too (all shot in RAW), but I was trying to concentrate on the forms rather than the colour.

comments welcome (even nasty ones!).

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Wonderful tonality in the B&W. If that's typical for the D3 files, it's a strong point in the camera's favor. Maybe the most persuasive one I've seen yet. Beautifully done.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Nice series Jono - in fact it is good to see several images posted that work so well together. Whether the concept emerged as you were you shooting or later in post, either way you pulled it off nicely.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Have to agree really like the look and mood of these , well done .

Your killing me with this D3 stuff , you realize that. LOL

Terry

Jono,

These are really beautiful....I really did hold and fiddle with the D3 today, I shouldn't say never but me trying to play with it was a bit of a joke....

Actually, I think two D3's would be better as they would just to give me a more balanced weightlifting workout.

I also played with both the 60 and 105 micros and I think I like the 105 much better (of course it is twice the size and weight). If I could only do a quarter as well as you do with this lens I would be ecstatic.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Traveling with the D3 this week. From earlier this morning in Florida. Noct stopped down to f5.6.

jonoslack

Hi There

Terry:
Thank you - of course it depends on how you develop them. But there is so much detail and tonality there, you can really bash the files around in PP.

Chris - Thank you - It was nasty dull weather, so I went out with just the macro lens with the intention of getting some close up shots. The lanes at the moment almost feel as if you're underwater - so much green.

Guy - thank you - It's my mission of the week - GET GUY TO BUY A D3 :ROTFL:- not that much of a challenge with your track record perhaps, but I'm trying . . . . then maybe I can get sponsorship from Nikon!

Bob - CONGRATULATIONS - I'm sure you'll enjoy it - which lenses do you have / are you getting?

Terry - It'll do you good - a bit of excercise, and then you could use a long shoulder strap and catch some of those pigeons for tea (swinging it around your head) . . . come to think of it, you could use it for fighting off bears.

Clay - Thank you - sometimes cloudy weather is the deal for black and white.

jonoslack

Hi There
As the black and white versions seemed popular, I thought it might be worth posting the colour versions.

The lane where they were taken is quite shady (and the light wasn't good anyway). There are a number of ponds there, and I think the light feels decidedly 'pond like'. I like them in colour too, but I'm trying to develop the idea of doing nature photography in black and white. The mole trap (in case you were wondering) is just a reminder that this really is countryside, and an attempt to give a little edge.

[/QUOTE]

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Jono,

I think I have (vague since I am away from the cabinet at the moment)
28mm 2.8? PC
24mm 2.8D
50mm 1.4D
60mm 2.8D Micro (non-nano version)
80-400mm 4.5-5.6 VR ED
*12-24mm AF-S 4G IF-ED DX
*18-200mm AF-S 3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR DX
*17-55mm 2.8G AF-S IF-ED DX
* indicates the to-sell list
I have already sold the 80-200 2.8 one touch and the little 45mm GN and the miserable 24-120 VR
the new 12-24, 24-70, and 70-300AF-S/VR are on the to buy list as well as the 105VR Micro
I haven't thought much about the ZF range but I am beginning to wonder.
Any words from the wise?
thanks
-bob

jonoslack

Jono,

I think I have (vague since I am away from the cabinet at the moment)
28mm 2.8? PC
24mm 2.8D
50mm 1.4D
60mm 2.8D Micro (non-nano version)
80-400mm 4.5-5.6 VR ED
*12-24mm AF-S 4G IF-ED DX
*18-200mm AF-S 3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR DX
*17-55mm 2.8G AF-S IF-ED DX
* indicates the to-sell list
I have already sold the 80-200 2.8 one touch and the little 45mm GN and the miserable 24-120 VR
the new 12-24, 24-70, and 70-300AF-S/VR are on the to buy list as well as the 105VR Micro
I haven't thought much about the ZF range but I am beginning to wonder.
Any words from the wise?
thanks
-bob
Wise? Me? :ROTFL::ROTFL:
Still, your buy list is exactly what I bought, and I certainly don't regret any of them. I'm holding off on the Zeiss lenses for a while, as the MF seems to encroach rather on M8 territory, which is a big step.

As for your old lenses, I've owned some of them in the past, but this time I was starting from scratch (incidentally, the miserable 24-120 VR is actually surprisingly better on the D3 (as it was on the Kodak 14n before)).

I'm stopping now, as I live in hope that Nikon will bring out some F4 zooms - and a revampted AFS version of the 80-400 (I really did love that lens).

Seems to me you're doing it just right . . . when will it arrive?

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Kurt,

Where are you in Florida? Anywhere near Ft. Lauderdale?

David
Hi David,

I'm in Orlando for a few days. I can't make it down to Ft. Lauderdale this trip, but I'll stop by one of these trips. :)

Here's my interpretation of the cypress grove a short walk from my hotel.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
. . . when will it arrive?
Jono,
I am expecting it to arrive tomorrow so there can be time for a bit of familiarization before the San Juan trip.
I will probably only bring the 60mm macro and a 24mm for the D3.
The heavier kit might be the M8s.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bob I have the Zeiss 28,50 macro and 85 1.4 if you want to try any let me know and i will bring them for you. I'm not bringing my D300 so not a issue. I suggest the 85mm and not because i may sell it. I have a reason:D

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Guy,
Please plan on bringing them :)
I will let you know if the delivery falls through.
-bob