The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Nikon

D

dlew308

I'm new here, so I may as well start off with a pic :)

Dog in the box

D300 & Tamron 28-75

woodyspedden

Nice shot David . . . Nice Neice too!
Woody - I quite agree, the D3 files seem to be the most 'resilient' RAW files I've ever had - you can go on and on before they start falling apart.
Do you still have your D3?
Sadly no Jono.

I sold it to help pay for my new 39 Mpx MF system. But I will get another one before the year ends. Can't be without one for very long. I probably will wait until after Photokina to see what Nikon does with a high rez chipset.

Woody

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I took my new (to me)D3 out for a try today. We had about 5+ inches of rain in the area over the weekend. You can see water laying in the field. This farmer is lucky to be on hilly land.

Abandoned Farmstead.

Greg Seitz

Nice Cindy, looks like you're having fun with it. Just wait till you shoot it in less than ideal conditions if you haven't already, it's pretty amazing.

jonoslack

Sadly no Jono.

I sold it to help pay for my new 39 Mpx MF system. But I will get another one before the year ends. Can't be without one for very long. I probably will wait until after Photokina to see what Nikon does with a high rez chipset.

Woody
I'd guess that the high res Nikon will be announced during the next couple of weeks, probably in time for the Olympics (they never announce new gear at Photokina anyway): 24mp D3x, new D90 and perhaps a new FX D300 sized camera (that sounds further away), possibly called The D10.

Part of me envies you the MF system, part of me is profoundly relieved not to have taken that step. At any rate, I want to see what a high res 35mm FF with Nikon lenses looks like before committing.

woodyspedden

I'd guess that the high res Nikon will be announced during the next couple of weeks, probably in time for the Olympics (they never announce new gear at Photokina anyway): 24mp D3x, new D90 and perhaps a new FX D300 sized camera (that sounds further away), possibly called The D10.

Part of me envies you the MF system, part of me is profoundly relieved not to have taken that step. At any rate, I want to see what a high res 35mm FF with Nikon lenses looks like before committing.
Jono

Solid logic.

However I feel that with the Mamiya/Phase system you have a look and feel that is very close to DSLR. Most controls on the body are very intuitive coming from many different brands of DLSR for me (Nikon, Canon, Leica DMR and M8). So to me the only reason not to buy MF is price and of course that is a big issue. But the files are extraordinary and particularly if you print large a big advantage. Certainly I will be testing these hypotheses over the next months so will be able to give experience based advice at that point.

Woody

DonWeston

Subscriber Member
For me I am glad that I sold my 7600 printer and downsized to the 3800, as my kids are starting college in the fall, OR I would be more and more tempted every day...... for now .....I figure the worse I can do now, is the D3 or if they release it a D3X.....and thank the lord that I have no camera stores locally that carry such gear, so I am not tempted on a daily or weekly visit..and avoiding such trips to B&H etc.....;)

jonoslack

Jono

Solid logic.

However I feel that with the Mamiya/Phase system you have a look and feel that is very close to DSLR. Most controls on the body are very intuitive coming from many different brands of DLSR for me (Nikon, Canon, Leica DMR and M8). So to me the only reason not to buy MF is price and of course that is a big issue. But the files are extraordinary and particularly if you print large a big advantage. Certainly I will be testing these hypotheses over the next months so will be able to give experience based advice at that point.

Woody
Well, I thought very hard about it, and although I know you're right about the qualities, there were two questions which stopped me:

1. How many photos would you miss by using a more cumbersome MF system.
2. How many photos would be genuinely better by using an MF system.

The conclusion I came to was that 1 was a bigger number than 2.

Then I thought about the time learning, the adjustments to my (very settled) workflow, and the imminent arrival of Nikon's high resolution body.

So, for now at least, I'm very relieved not to have joined - to be honest, my only regret is not really being able to join in the fun in the MF forum (and THAT is no reason to spend £20,000!)

D

dlew308

Yea she's a beddy. Wow that is quite an interesting mix. Do they act more whippet or terrier?

Welcome - dog in box . . Bedlington terrier? We have a cross between a bedlington and a whippet (popular over here). (like a mini wolfhound).

jonoslack

Yea she's a beddy. Wow that is quite an interesting mix. Do they act more whippet or terrier?
Hmm - the story is that poachers like them, they're fast like a whippet, but killers like the beddy. Ours is 13 now, and she's losing the plot a bit, but I think you'd say they're the perfect mixture:

Gentle and friendly combined with feisty and outgoing (I'll allow you to assign the characteristics to the breeds ;-).

Greg Seitz

Well, I thought very hard about it, and although I know you're right about the qualities, there were two questions which stopped me:

1. How many photos would you miss by using a more cumbersome MF system.
2. How many photos would be genuinely better by using an MF system.

The conclusion I came to was that 1 was a bigger number than 2.

Then I thought about the time learning, the adjustments to my (very settled) workflow, and the imminent arrival of Nikon's high resolution body.

So, for now at least, I'm very relieved not to have joined - to be honest, my only regret is not really being able to join in the fun in the MF forum (and THAT is no reason to spend £20,000!)
Jono,

FYI, I've put up an attempt to show the resolution differences between a 12mpix system and the various MF systems. It's not perfect but I think it helps conceptualize how much resolution differences exists between the various options:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2232

Thanks,

Greg

Last edited:

David K

Workshop Member
Greg, nice shot with the food and Cindy, I love those landscapes. You guys are posting some good stuff with the Nikon. Jono, I wouldn't worry too much about passing on MF, you don't need reasons to defend your sanity :)

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
playing around and ran across this from March. Ducks that come and visit each year on our little pond. I think it's one of the first little bodies of water to ice out in the area.

etrigan63

I dabbled in HDR today...

Will try for something more dramatic tomorrow.
D300 + 58mm CV
Auto Bracket 3 exposures +/- 1 stop
Aperture Priority @ f8
ISO 200 fixed