The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun Pictures with Nikon

Terry

A few more .....looks like this got split over two pages...for context see the previous post.

This is either the winner or second place woman....the first men finishers ran the 5K in just over 17 minutes the women were about 2 minutes behind....
View attachment 5618

My neighbor at the finish line. She and her sister were mugging for the camera
View attachment 5619

Heading home...
View attachment 5620

Last edited:

etrigan63

My wife thought the second place winner's clothes were falling off. I informed her that those were low-rise running shorts.

Terry

Nice, Terry. I especially like the shot of your neighbor.
What lens were you using?
Cindy
Should have put neighbor in quotes as she was just sitting next to me. I used the 18-200.

I was on auto ISO with a min shutter of 1/250 since I was shooting at effectively 350mm. Since many were taken close to 7:30PM the auto ISO pushed me out to 3200. Guy and I have been talking about me buying the 180 f2.8. The 70-200 isn't exactly a great out for a walk in Central Park lens for me.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Should have put neighbor in quotes as she was just sitting next to me. I used the 18-200.

I was on auto ISO with a min shutter of 1/250 since I was shooting at effectively 350mm. Since many were taken close to 7:30PM the auto ISO pushed me out to 3200. Guy and I have been talking about me buying the 180 f2.8. The 70-200 isn't exactly a great out for a walk in Central Park lens for me.
You can try it in NY when I come. Just a better lens and very fast on AF and the biggy not expensive

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Terry,
The 180 f/2.8 is a nice lens. I made the mistake of selling mine and may buy another copy.
Have you tried the 70-300 VR? It is a super lens for the money and a great walk-around lens. It has really nice IQ. It is slow, but usually the sun is bright when I'm walking around, so that is not a problem.

Last edited:

Terry

Terry,
The 200 f/2.8 is a nice lens. I made the mistake of selling mine and may buy another copy.
Have you tried the 70-300 VR? It is a super lens for the money and a great walk-around lens. It has really nice IQ. It is slow, but usually the sun is bright when I'm walking around, so that is not a problem.
I have the 70-300. Again I would still have been at ISO 3200. The lens would have been at f5.6 and on that lens I know I need the shutter speed. I have a lot of shots with some camera shake from not paying enough attention to shutter speed at the long end of the zoom.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I stumbled on this "old" shot, taken when I first got my D2Xs back in the fall of 2006. I had also just taken delivery of my Gitzo and ballhead so it was down to the pond on the night of a full moon. Sorry about the crop, but I've lost the original :(

Arne Hvaring

WoW!

And who says the D3 files are not great.

It will be very interesting to see the tradeoffs, vis a vis file quality, between the D3 and the new(er) D3X with its 24Mpx sensor. We may all wish to stay with the wonders of the D3 files, albeit with much lower resolution. My personal opinion is that you need a MFDB with 39 Mpx or so, to really get beyond the D3. And given the D3's superior low light capabilities I would say you need the D3 absolutely for certain assignments and MFDB for the others.

Just MHO

Woody
Basically I agree with your assessment. Except that for the time beeing I'm using the 1DsIII when high resolution is required. I know it's not on the same level as the 39 mpx MFDB, but it is clearly outresolving the D3. I agree that the D3 is an essential camera due to its excellent allround properties and unique low-light capability. It is a camera that will not become redundant for quite a while IMO.
The more I use the D3, the more I like it. Time and again when I develop an image (in NX) I think, yes that's exactly what it looked like. I only sporadically get that reaction from my Canon files.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
One more, from one of the Communist Capitals of the world. More pink than red nowadays it seems :)

D80 with 85mm f/1.8 @ f/3.2 and 1/50s

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
After walking around Hanoi for a day in the rain, at dusk, I stumbled across this martial arts class for children and teenagers at an old temple. I wish I had a faster camera, a faster focusing lens and better high ISO. Still, we had a lot of fun. Both images with the D80 and 85mm f/1.8

The teacher @ f/2.5 and 1/100s

The students @ f/2.2 and 1/200s

Last edited:

Terry

I like all the shots.....also got a little laugh that you want a faster lens than your f1.8
Clearly your presence made no difference to the little girl practicing. The woman on the cycle still looks so nicely dressed considering even with the rain poncho and hat that she is probably getting drenched in the pouring rain.

jonoslack

Basically I agree with your assessment. Except that for the time beeing I'm using the 1DsIII when high resolution is required. I know it's not on the same level as the 39 mpx MFDB, but it is clearly outresolving the D3. I agree that the D3 is an essential camera due to its excellent allround properties and unique low-light capability. It is a camera that will not become redundant for quite a while IMO.
The more I use the D3, the more I like it. Time and again when I develop an image (in NX) I think, yes that's exactly what it looked like. I only sporadically get that reaction from my Canon files.
HI Arne
I'm very excited about the D3x - granted, it isn't going to be as good as a 39mp back, but I think that Canon have rather been resting on their laurels with respect to high resolution, and the advent of the splendid new Nikkor f2.8 zooms (lets face it, wide angle zooms has never really been Canon's forte) might make for something very special.

I was pretty gobsmacked when I did a comparison between the Zeiss ZF 25mm f2.8 and both the nikkor zooms at 24 - they were much better at all apertures (especially the 14-24).

My landscape work isn't about waiting for 2 hours in the dark for the sunrise with a tripod and a flask of coffee, it's about fleeting glimpses of light, about awkward places and it really isn't suited to MF. I'm hoping that the D3x will get me close.

In the meantime, the D3 actually produces great results:

this was taken from the middle of a gorse bush teetering at the edge of the cliff (apologies to those who've seen it in the leica form)

jonoslack

One more, from one of the Communist Capitals of the world. More pink than red nowadays it seems :)

D80 with 85mm f/1.8 @ f/3.2 and 1/50s

Hi Jorgen
They're all lovely, but this one specially caught my eye (girl doing the martial arts is also great).

I keep nearly buying that 85mm f1.8 - such a nice small package, but I have the voigtlander 58mm f1.4, which isn't that different a focal length, and produces lovely results.

helenhill

Terry Wonderful Shot of the Female Runner & Little Girl 'neighbor'
and Jorgen Tres Chic Miss Lady in Pink (too bad she had to wear that mask) & the B&W simplicity of the bridge shot

Nikon Fun.......
Best-H